Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   First Handgun??? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/first-handgun-12747/)

warrioroftheland 04-10-2009 05:51 AM

First Handgun???

Hello,

I am looking to buy a handgun. I'v looked around and would like to hear some feed back on a few weapons. i have fire glocks and i like them other than for concealed carry. I came across a FNP .40 the other day and almost couldnt walk out of the shop without it. so i guess what i'm askin here is what are the diff. carry opions for the FNP and and suggestions on any other handguns. thanks.

also if you have an FNP what kinda holster do you use, feel free to post pictures.

hunter Joe 04-10-2009 04:53 PM

In my opinion handguns need to fit you the same as a pair of shoes. When it feel right, you know it. I'm partial to full size frames and we don't have concealed carry in Wisconsin, so my mod. 22 suits me fine. I guess if we do get concealed carry in Wisconsin I'll just have a bigger bulge in my pants.

Just my way of impressing the ladies.

Gojubrian 04-10-2009 05:12 PM

Springfield xd or xdm, CZ Sp-01 phantom, taurus judge

Clay454 04-10-2009 08:05 PM

I personally like double action revolvers for personal defense. I currently own a Taurus 605 and am considering a Ruger SP-101. There is not much to mess up if you are forced to use it. I think a .357 has a lot to offer for a defensive load. But it is all up to you and what you are comfortable with. Practice is probably the most important thing. Devolping good muscle memory and techniques at the range can pay dividends in the long run.
Clay

WDB 04-11-2009 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warrioroftheland (Post 92978)
Hello,

I am looking to buy a handgun. I'v looked around and would like to hear some feed back on a few weapons. i have fire glocks and i like them other than for concealed carry. I came across a FNP .40 the other day and almost couldnt walk out of the shop without it. so i guess what i'm askin here is what are the diff. carry opions for the FNP and and suggestions on any other handguns. thanks.

also if you have an FNP what kinda holster do you use, feel free to post pictures.

The largest difference between a Glock and a FNP 40 is the FNP has a hammer and a decocking lever. While I'm not a Glock fan the Glock 27 is much smaller than a FNP 40 but the FNP lets you change the back strap to better fit your hand. It all depends on what fits you.

As for holster for the FNP it truly depends on how you want to carry it. I have a Galico shoulder rig, a Desiants belt holster.

Pictures you will have to pony up the $12 membership fee then you can see my FNP 40 with a low profile laser in the bunker

dnthmn2004 04-11-2009 01:58 AM

I suggest you look at a S&W M&P 40. Just my personal opinion and my daily carry weapon. It is a very comfortable, reliable, and accurate handgun.

WDB 04-11-2009 04:15 AM

The M&P is a better choice than the Glock or the FNP and I expect DTN knows that is my carry pistol in 45 and in 9mm when I'm dressed down or lazy. Thanks for chimming in brother.

I have to say the FNP-40 is a bad ass pistol, it's the only reason I don't have a M&P 40. If you get the chance to shoot a FNP and a M&P the M&P is a better pistol but if you want a hammer instead of a striker the FNP is a truly good choice.

AsmelEduardo 04-11-2009 11:41 PM

I like the XDm :D
But in guns 2+2 isn't 4.... buy what you feel comfortable to carry and to shoot.... :cool:

warrioroftheland 04-12-2009 03:00 AM

thanks for all the info its really helping out. how much does a new xd and xdm run? i can only seem to find used ones for sale online. ( havent been able to get to a shop or call one )

guntotinguy 04-12-2009 03:24 AM

Personally I like the XD series...they fit my hand better and easy to carry (+ I like the 1911 grip safety)I also like ParaOrdinance...I have a CC Slimhawg.When it comes to firearms...the only opinion that matters is the one 'using the gun' and how it applies to the person.

The idea list goes on and on...XD's are easily priced online,keep searching.