First guns - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > First guns

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2009, 09:01 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaton View Post
Some of the people on this site seem to have quite the hard on for glocks.

Glock 21 Torture Test - Theprepared.com

check out that link, the guy puts his glock 21 through hell and it goes bang no matter what he does. If that is your opinion of garbage then I guess I should be a bum.
That was entertaining, especially the air drop into the corn field. WTF?? Run out of torture? (See Cheney or Rumsfeld.)

Why on a G21 that uses the tried and true 45 ACP with its octagonal barrel? Why not the ubiquitous G19 9mm or the troubled and storied G22 40 S&W which both use the hexagonal hammer forged polygonal barrel with the marginally supported chamber? Hell, I wish my G22 was -1!

And why use a .22 to test its durability? Even Master Lock use a 30 06 to prove its strength. Unless glock packers expect to engage an enemy armed with 22lr.

I think the 1911 went through a little more valid testing back in 1906 during the Military trials. Oh yea, it was adopted and served honorably until the 9mm was determined to be the PC killing instrument in 1985.

Our military rejected the glock, IMHO, because a striker fired firearm is inherently dangerous. The operator has no visual status of its cocked condition and no manual safeties providing little to no idiot resistance.

Any handgun that requires pulling the trigger to decock the action presents great propensity for buttock burns and parking lot divots. (Not so good in choppers or tanks!)

Arming your troops is intended to kill the enemy, not inflict casualties on its soldiers!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 05-02-2009 at 09:04 PM.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:02 PM   #32

And I still don't know if Glock is the right choice

Old 05-02-2009, 09:23 PM   #33

I don't swing that way and I suggest you watch your finger resting that flame button.

Push it harder and the trap door may drop.

I have presented facts as to my experiences with your pistol of choice. My choice of pistol is based on research and experience and little to do with my manliness.

When it comes to JD’s comment, “If my personal choice was a Glock or nothing, I would consider nothing for a moment before picking up the Glock.” I have done one better; I now shoot only factory new ammo, retired my G22 to house gun status and only as a backup.

I and the other members are here for firearm centric reasons. Some bantering is expected and enjoyed but not personal attacks. I expect you to respond in kind.

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello

Last edited by Dillinger; 05-03-2009 at 12:31 AM.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:25 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
That was entertaining, especially the air drop into the corn field. WTF?? Run out of torture? (See Cheney or Rumsfeld.)

Why on a G21 that uses the tried and true 45 ACP with its octagonal barrel? Why not the ubiquitous G19 9mm or the troubled and storied G22 40 S&W which both use the hexagonal hammer forged polygonal barrel with the marginally supported chamber? Hell, I wish my G22 was -1!

And why use a .22 to test its durability? Even Master Lock use a 30 06 to prove its strength. Unless glock packers expect to engage an enemy armed with 22lr.

I think the 1911 went through a little more valid testing back in 1906 during the Military trials. Oh yea, it was adopted and served honorably until the 9mm was determined to be the PC killing instrument in 1985.

Our military rejected the glock, IMHO, because a striker fired firearm is inherently dangerous. The operator has no visual status of its cocked condition and no manual safeties providing little to no idiot resistance.

Any handgun that requires pulling the trigger to decock the action presents great propensity for buttock burns and parking lot divots. (Not so good in choppers or tanks!)

Arming your troops is intended to kill the enemy, not inflict casualties on its soldiers!
I said I was done with this but I just have to add another 2 cents. I can't help but notice you completely overlook the fact that the glock 21 fired after being buried in sand, potting soil, and baby powder with the slide open, and yet it fired every time.

I can't help but notice you focus your post solely on the parts of the demenstration that were pointless and sub par.

Is it really so bad for the perspective buyer to see BOTH sides of the story, rather than just that of you and yours?

Thats all Im doing, giving the guy both sides of the story. You have summed up the bad quite well. I believe that link I provided sums up the good.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:00 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaton View Post
I said I was done with this but I just have to add another 2 cents. I can't help but notice you completely overlook the fact that the glock 21 fired after being buried in sand, potting soil, and baby powder with the slide open, and yet it fired every time.

I can't help but notice you focus your post solely on the parts of the demenstration that were pointless and sub par.

Is it really so bad for the perspective buyer to see BOTH sides of the story, rather than just that of you and yours?

Thats all Im doing, giving the guy both sides of the story. You have summed up the bad quite well. I believe that link I provided sums up the good.
I like the cut of your jib. You are as stubborn as a rented mule and I like that in an adversary.

I must give you kudos for your dogged defense of a firearm that, IMHO, has long passed its peak.

Let me reiterate;
“Glock has a great public relations department. Problem is that nobody in their public relations department shoots! And their message (mantra) has never changed over the years. (Boy those guys are skating!) Shoots in water yada yada yada....shoots in mud yada yada yada....shoots on the moon! If you tell someone something over and over they just give up and believe it.

I drank the glock kool-aid for years. My G22 never gave me a lick of trouble, but....one day I bought a Colt 1911. I haven't lost the smile on my face yet!

Saying that the glock is reliable isn't a lie, it's a fact. Just like my '81 3.8L V6 three speed manual El Camino. It started every time I ask it, the AM radio worked as well as any other AM radio I had listen to and it got me to and from work every day! I replaced it with an Eldorado ETC (COLT) and I haven't lost the smile on my face yet!”

I respect your desire to drive your ’81 El Camino, just don’t get pissed when I point out the rust stains.

Stick around, I enjoy sparing.

And when using innuendos, talk to me like I’m a fourth grader. (I mean no disrespect to 4th graders!)

- orangello

Old 05-02-2009, 11:21 PM   #36

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

If you really, really want to purchase a Glock, get one of these instead:

Sigma series pistol from Smith and Wesson. Made in the USA, just about the exact same design as the Glock, and in my experience, they run tons better too!!! Oh by the way, they retail for only about 340 dollars or less in my area.

Here's my experience in a nutshell between the two. My Sigma .40 caliber has run flawlessly with hundreds of rounds through it so far (That's right! Not one malfunction yet!!!! No lie!!!!).

I used to have a Glock 21 .45 ACP. There was only one main problem with that weapon. The feed ramp developed a nice crack along it during the very, very short time I owned it.

Glock = EPIC FAIL!!!!!!!

Keep in mind that this is my own personal experience, and other's will vary.

Good luck in your searches.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:53 PM   #37

At this moment I can't decide what kind of gun I'm going to buy next year.. I think it's an good idea to visit a gunshop to feel different handguns in my own hands. However, I'm going to make fun with the P99 and S&W 625 first

The Sigma is nice looking, and nice price too. I mean, I don't really want a Glock, I just wanted to know what people say about them.

Thank you for the information guys.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:09 AM   #38

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Megaton-IT DON'T MATTER what you are trying to imply NOW, your original post tells otherwise. it also don't matter what proof we present to you-you're as blind as the people who voted for obama. Perhaps you did or didn't, that's what your dogged defense acts like. There's NO ROOM FOR SEXUAL REMARKS in a gun forum. You should drop out of this forum quietly before you really mess up & have to be kicked out. I know both Dillinger & Canebrake and respect them AND their knowledge-you only WISH you knew what they've forgot. You seem to forget that we have shot glocks AND 1911s-you act like you don't know which end of a 1911 that the bullet comes out of. You DON'T come in a forum new and attack respected members. By the way, I've worked on HUNDREDS of examples of BOTH glocks AND 1911s, and HIGHLY prefer all steel, as do the vast majority of people with a lot of REAL experience. check this out if you DARE then try to defend glocks some more. Glock kB! FAQ v1.35

Old 05-03-2009, 12:25 AM   #39

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Since this is a public forum, the sexual comments need to be deleted right away. I'm sure there are plenty of minors that visit this site on a regular basis.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:47 AM   #40

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
Since this is a public forum, the sexual comments need to be deleted right away. I'm sure there are plenty of minors that visit this site on a regular basis.
I've cleaned up the inappropriate comments for the open forum.

I enjoy a spirited discussion as well as Cane does, especially when the person we are debating, Megaton, feels as passionately as he does about his choice of weapon.

Sarge / stalkingbear - our new member is still young. He doesn't yet have the world experience that you two, Cane, and even little old me, have been privy too.

I imagine that he is a good guy, and will be a good forum member with time, but right now his experiences are rock solid in the situations he has been in.

There is nothing wrong with that. But it also doesn't mean there isn't a whole world out there that is COMPLETELY different from the experiences, as varied as they may be, that Megaton has not yet been witness too.

Megaton - I respect your position. I don't agree with it, but I respect it and your defense of it.

To the OP ( and Megaton if you are open to suggestion ) -

I would merely like to suggest that, if you are open minded, that you do some reading written by the following guys who are PRETTY much the End All Beat All when it comes to Bad Ass in the Tactical World.

These are men who have, quite literally, BEEN THERE, DONE THAT, STOLE THE T-SHIRT, AND LIVED TO TELL THE TALE:

Larry Vickers - Plank Holder Delta Force
Massad Ayoob - Former Israeli Operator and Firearm's Trainer
Eric Lee Haney - Plank Holder Delta Force
Jeff Cooper - The Legend!

I will leave you with this remark from Jeff Cooper concerning Handgun Evaluation by the FBI:

Quote:
The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.” — Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002
If you don't know who Jeff Cooper is, you haven't yet scratched the surface of owning a firearm.

"Here Endeth the Lessson." Malone ( Sean Connery ) from The Untouchables

JD

Closed Thread