First guns - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > First guns

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2009, 07:36 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Some of the people on this site seem to have quite the hard on for glocks.

Glock 21 Torture Test - Theprepared.com

check out that link, the guy puts his glock 21 through hell and it goes bang no matter what he does. If that is your opinion of garbage then I guess I should be a bum.

Im not saying that you should get a glock, I just hate it when people claim they are not a quality, reliable, accurate pistol, because they are all of those things.

If you want a gun that is reliable, accurate, and a breeze to maintain, then a glock, or virtually any of the 'tupperware' guns are a great option.

If you want to compensate for other shortcomings and spend more doing so, then go ahead and get a 'real mans gun'.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:47 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Outside of that, the things are inaccurate, have a trigger pull like some sort of Ancient Medieval torture and are known to be susceptible to "Explosive Disassembly" as can be seen by Cane's photos above...

If my personal choice was a Glock or nothing, I would consider nothing for a moment before picking up the Glock.

JD
Funny how glocks are used in competitive shooting. Considering they are so inaccurate.

The trigger pull is perfect for what the gun is meant for, self defense. The first pull is long and relatively smooth, there is virtually no overtravel, and the reset it very short to allow for multiple shots or 'double taps' with ease.

I just don't understand why everyone hates glocks so much.

Last edited by Megaton; 05-02-2009 at 07:55 PM.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:58 PM   #23

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaton View Post
Funny, my glock 19 will group 6" at 50 yards and I am most definately the weak link. Im sure if I had a bench it could do as good or better than your more expensive (superior) steel guns. I can hit clays at that distance all day long. How much more accurate are you looking for?

Funny how glocks are used in competitive shooting as well. Considering they are so inaccurate.

The trigger pull is perfect for what the gun is meant for, self defense. The first pull is long and relatively smooth, there is virtually no overtravel, and the reset it very short to allow for multiple shots or 'double taps' with ease.

I just don't understand why everyone hates glocks so much.
You are obviously one of the coveted Glock Kool Aid drinkers, and that's fine, but you are overselling your gear and understating the obvious facts.

Your precious piece of plastic owes it's entire existance to the fact that my superior steel weapon was built, and in active duty, over 100 years ago.

Take a google run through the Glock pictures of weapons that have cracked, blown apart, had the slides come off in the owners faces and any number of other explosive disassembly conditions.

It's not a rare and random incident.

Is the Glock reliable? Sure. It will go bang almost every time. Is it the best weapon out there that will go bang everytime? Hardly!

The trigger on the Glock is horrible in design and the fact that they chose to put the "safety" on it is the worst idea in the history of modern firearms. Couple that with a weak design on the extractor and you get THIS:

The Glock When Handled Safely

Seriously?! WTF?!

At least the good folks at Springfield had the presence of mind to add a frame mounted safety - The way John Browning intended it be built.

As to the legacy of the Glock in the modern era - come and talk to us when you get the 100th Anniversary model.

We can compare my 200th year edition side by side at the range.

JD

Old 05-02-2009, 08:09 PM   #24

I am certainly no expert but I believe that issue has been resolved in the new generation of glock pistols.

I am not saying in the least bit that my glock 19 is better than anything. When have I ever said that?

I am certainly not 'overselling my gear'. Did I ever tell the guy to get a glock? If anyone is overselling their gear, it is many of you who have this idea that your 1911 is holier than thou.

I just get sick of hearing it over and over again. Sure, there have been many glock pistols that have had problems. There have also been plenty of 1911s that were much more expensive than a glock that required gunsmith work to be up to par for carry.

Its not a matter of one is better to me, I will concede that your fabulous super superior piece of manly man steel is better than any glock and makes all the ladies wetter too. I never said one was better than the other, I simply said that one was not crap. Its not crap. Crap is a hi point. Crap is not a glock. And to make outlandish statements such as "If my personal choice was a Glock or nothing, I would consider nothing for a moment before picking up the Glock" is rediculous and nothing more or less.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:13 PM   #25

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
I am certainly no expert but I believe that issue has been resolved in the new generation of glock pistols.

I am not saying in the least bit that my glock 19 is better than anything. When have I ever said that?

I am certainly not 'overselling my gear'. Did I ever tell the guy to get a glock? If anyone is overselling their gear, it is many of you who have this idea that your 1911 is holier than thou.

I just get sick of hearing it over and over again. Sure, there have been many glock pistols that have had problems. There have also been plenty of 1911s that were much more expensive than a glock that required gunsmith work to be up to par for carry.

Its not a matter of one is better to me, I will concede that your fabulous super superior piece of manly man steel is better than any glock and makes all the ladies wetter too. I never said one was better than the other, I simply said that one was not crap. Its not crap. Crap is a hi point. Crap is not a glock. And to make outlandish statements such as "If my personal choice was a Glock or nothing, I would consider nothing for a moment before picking up the Glock" is rediculous and nothing more or less.
Need a hug?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-02-2009, 08:15 PM   #26

Nah, maybe round 3 with brownie.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:29 PM   #27

Quote:
Nah, maybe round 3 with brownie.
Do you speak of the master?

1jmbrowning.jpg

He's been dead for 83 years and would still kick your glock ass in the first round!

glockten.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello

Old 05-02-2009, 08:31 PM   #28

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
I am no expert either, but I have extensive experience in and around most pistol and rifle platforms. Several local agencies have dumped the Glocks because the myriad of problems and "accidental" discharges and gone back to 1911's. LAPD and Tacoma PD are two big name units that have done so.

Quote:
See Below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaton
Funny, my glock 19 will group 6" at 50 yards and I am most definately the weak link. Im sure if I had a bench it could do as good or better than your more expensive (superior) steel guns. I can hit clays at that distance all day long. How much more accurate are you looking for?
Quote:
The reason you hear it "over and over" again is two fold. One, it's a true criticism from a design aspect of a weapon that was mass produced with the whole intent of providing a platform, to the masses, that you could abused and NEVER have to worry about.

I don't know how old you are, but I assume you were probably aware of the advertising of the weapon when it was first launched. There was NO MENTION of accuracy, it was all about swimming in saltwater with it, never having to clean it, dropping it in mud, dropping it in wet cement and then burning through a magazine as fast as you could pull the trigger.

That was the marketing for the Glock for over 2 YEARS before Renny Harlin, Master Idiot of Modern Cinema, gave it a staring role in Die Hard II and with one simple line:

"It's a porcelain gun, made in Germany, and designed to pass through metal detectors" <--- Which wasn't even close to the facts at the time...

And a WHOLE generation of gang bangers and other wannabe's flocked to it as the pistol of choice. Not you. Not your friends, I am saying at the time, so don't get upset. That was their market share at the time.

Then the market took off and then Glock started doing traveling road shows to every police department in the country talking about outfitting their entire group of guys at $380 a pistol and it came with 2 spare mags.
What department head WASN'T going to jump at the chance to get this new wonder pistol??

Second reason you keep hearing the criticism is because we 1911 guys ARE tough to impress and we ARE sted fast in our belief that John Moses Browning designed the weapon right the first time. Any Johnnie Come Lately is going to get the same response.

Quote:
Yeah, yeah, yeah - My feelers are hurt and I am going to tell you what you want to hear, and do it in such a way to make sure you, and everyone else, knows that I am only doing it because I don't want to have a fight.

Megaton, if your Glock runs til the end of time, and it performs fabulously for you and you never experience the problems that are associated with the platform - I personally couldn't be any happier for you.

But for me, and those around me, I personally do not believe that the Glock platform is safe, nor do I believe it to be the best possible choice for the situation.

My comment about "considering nothing" was tongue in cheek and meant to be that way. However, now that I am reconsidering it, I am going to stand behind it. I would, for a instant, consider nothing and then go with the Glock - because I HAD TOO....

JD

Old 05-02-2009, 08:39 PM   #29

Quote:
Funny how glocks are used in competitive shooting. Considering they are so inaccurate.
Wanta bet everyone of those comp guns are upgraded with an aftermarket barrel?

I'll guarantee they are if they are running wad cutters!

Quote:
I acquire the target three times before my G22 goes bang! That's more than long!

And I'll bet the above comp guns all have a trigger jobs. They must or they would never finish a competition.

My stock XSE's trigger breaks like a glass rod. Even my 17 yo daughter picked up the difference.

Your gun doesn't get picked on, it just gets what's due.

- orangello

Old 05-02-2009, 09:21 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Do you speak of the master?

Id bet that all the 1911s in competition also have aftermarket barrels and trigger jobs. Id bet all of the guns are modded in some way unless there is a class that only allows for a completely stock gun.

JD, I am 24, and no I do not remember the original marketing campaign for glock pistols. I am starting to see why there is all this hate towards glocks now, perhaps because "a WHOLE generation of gang bangers and other wannabe's flocked to it as the pistol of choice."

Perhaps my comment about which pistol was better was in bad taste. I still do not feel that I have in any way 'oversold' my gear. I simply posted about my experience with my particular glock 19. I see you do not deny that you and others are guilty of what you accuse me of.

Like I said before, maybe I should quit my job and start bumming in your area, might be more lucrative if the quality of trash is as you describe. I am going to let this be. I have made my point and you have made yours.

Last edited by Dillinger; 05-03-2009 at 01:31 AM.

Closed Thread