First guns
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > First guns

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2009, 05:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default First guns

As I told in another topic, a friend will gift me a Walther P99 9mm and the S&W 625 45ACP. And I would like it of someone would post the pros/cons of those guns. I think i'm especially going to like the P99, he told me the S&W is heavy and has high recoil.

Of course I'm very happy with those handguns, but I would still like to buy a handgun by myself. So I'm searching for an solid, and not too expensive handgun. Can someone give me advice/tips?

David

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-01-2009, 06:48 PM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

For semi-automatics, I would go with the Ruger lineup (average around 300-350 dollars in my area).

For revolvers, I would have to say that Ruger is also good, but so is the S&W lineup. They seem to be getting a little more expensive these days, though.

The most important thing is these brands I named have to feel good in your hands. If they don't then it would be a moot point to get one.

Good luck.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:53 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2983 Times on 1554 Posts
Likes Given: 275

Walther P-99 is a very good handgun. High quality, decent sights, above average accuracy. Negative? Maybe the magazine release levers. They are a little odd in that you push down rather than in.

The 625? It would be hard to imagine anything negative about this. the recoil from a .45 ACP in an N-Frame revolver is definately not excessive. I would call it a push. Heavy? Hardly. Beautiful workmanship in forged steel. Factory grips can be lousy. If you have medium to small hands replace the grips with the Pachmyer Professional series or Hogue. If you have larger hands use the standard Pachmyer grippers or decellerators.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 05-01-2009, 09:11 PM   #4

And what about a Glock? or is a Glock expensive?

Old 05-01-2009, 09:33 PM   #5

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_SF View Post
And what about a Glock? or is a Glock expensive?

busted_glock30.jpg

glock4.jpg

glock21framecloseup_640x480.jpg

glock_kaboom_photo.jpg

b52glock.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-01-2009, 09:50 PM   #6

But wait a second, is this just sarcasm or are Glocks truly bad quality? As far as i know Glock is used in several army's, so they shouldn't be crappy right?

Old 05-01-2009, 09:57 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:

But wait a second, is this just sarcasm or are Glocks truly bad quality? As far as i know Glock is used in several army's, so they shouldn't be crappy right?
Actaully they are quite crappy. And they are quite cheap too, which is why a lot of armies are equipped with them.

They are cheap to make, cheap to buy and easy to use / teach to a complete nitwit how to shoot it. It has very little in the way of complex, or moving, parts and it can take generous abuse and still fire.

Outside of that, the things are inaccurate, have a trigger pull like some sort of Ancient Medieval torture and are known to be susceptible to "Explosive Disassembly" as can be seen by Cane's photos above...

If my personal choice was a Glock or nothing, I would consider nothing for a moment before picking up the Glock.

Tupperware is for the kitchen. Steel is for the battlefield.

Hey Sarge - Didn't you have a Glock once? How'd that work out for you?

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 05-01-2009 at 10:02 PM.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:18 PM   #8

I always thought Glock was quality, but now my opinion is changed. You guys are the experts. I mean, my knowledge about guns isn't that bad, but I don't know enough about them to choose the right gun for myself.

I'm searching for durability, but not too expensive ( it doesn't have to be cheap, but at this moment i can't afford something like a Desert eagle )

But which are the most durable guns? Colt? Taurus? Springfield?

Old 05-01-2009, 11:10 PM   #9

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
I always thought Glock was quality, but now my opinion is changed. You guys are the experts. I mean, my knowledge about guns isn't that bad, but I don't know enough about them to choose the right gun for myself.
I'm searching for durability, but not too expensive ( it doesn't have to be cheap, but at this moment i can't afford something like a Desert eagle)
But which are the most durable guns? Colt? Taurus? Springfield?
Glock has a great public relations department. Problem is that nobody in their public relations department shoots! And their message (mantra) has never changed over the years. (Boy those guys are skating!) Shoots in water yada yada yada....shoots in mud yada yada yada....shoots on the moon! If you tell someone something over and over they just give up and believe it.

I drank the glock kool-aid for years. My G22 never gave me a lick of trouble, but....one day I bought a Colt 1911. I haven't lost the smile on my face yet!

Saying that the glock is reliable isn't a lie, it's a fact. Just like my '81 3.8L V6 three speed manual El Camino. It started every time I ask it, the AM radio worked as well as any other AM radio I had listen to and it got me to and from work everyday! I replaced it with an Eldorado ETC (COLT) and I haven't lost the smile on my face yet!

Do yourself a favor and before you go buying something you think you need (Desert Eagle ) spend some range time with your Walther and S&W, a great pair of beginner firearms! Ask questions here on FTF, asking is free and purchasing something like the Desert Eagle is and would be a huge and expensive mistake.

Please do not take me wrong. Glocks are fine handguns (for some people, God bless them) but not me! I wear my bias on my sleeve and have no intention to drag you into my 1911 pattern pistol cult.

I will however be happy to share my experiences and suggestions with any one that has the spare time to listen or read.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-01-2009, 11:53 PM   #10

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

^^ I'm John Dillinger, and I approve 100% with the above post!

Desert Eagles are for two kinds of people. Guys with Little Man Syndrome and every kid who has ever played a video game but has never shot one. They are an awful, awful handgun. Huge. Non-Ergonomical. Slide Mounted Safety. Heavy. Impossible to conceal. Unreliable Gas System. Just a bad, bad idea....

JD

Closed Thread