Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > First gun suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 09:27 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm going to reiterate what others have said, go to a gun store handle a whole bunch of different guns, keep handling different ones until they make you leave , Then go to the range and see if you can rent some of the ones you thought felt best to you. Then if you should have the field narrowed quite a bit.

Also, there are great guns out there, but that doesn't mean they are the right gun for you. Some people love xd's and they are good guns, some people like glocks, they are also good guns. Some people like 1911s and they are good guns as well. But none of that matters if they dont fit you. So most importantly above all else make sure the gun is comfortable to you.

Check out my blog:http://ithinkforme.blogspot.com/

Old 06-14-2011, 12:36 AM   #12
Jay

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike. Buy a handgun just like you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy for a carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for me, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....
If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. Just like you rarely wear shoes that are UNcomfortable. If you're not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper fundamentals, he/she can learn to shoot almost any handgun, or any caliber. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable. The last suggestion.........proper shooting techinques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If you practice speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into your training, you'll have to do it all over again to get it right.

By the way..... anyone who introduces a new shooter to our pastime by having them start with a large-caliber handgun, makes a very poor decision. Yes, some folks do ok starting out with large calibers, but the vast majority will not continue to shoot if their very 1st experience is with .50 S&W. Start with a .22 caliber something, and as your technique/accuracy improves, work up from there.

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 06-14-2011, 03:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by D2h6r89 View Post
Hi, I am new here. I am interested in purchasing my first handgun this week. I want to purchase it for self defense and recreation. I don't think I am looking for a revolver, I'd prefer an automatic. As far as caliber, I was thinking 9mm. Glock was one of the brands I was considering, however I am open to suggestions.

Thanks
Take a ride up to "Tanners" & check out the 9MM Stoeger (Beretta) Cougar 8000. If it fits your hand, it's one of the best values available. ($369NIB). They also have the EAA Witness Classic 9MM NIB for $299. (CZ75B Clone).

Last edited by 9mmgun; 06-14-2011 at 04:06 AM.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:44 AM   #14

Liked 1766 Times on 985 Posts
Likes Given: 1161

For the money the Ruger P-95 is hard to beat. But you need to feel one in your hand. It is a double stack magazine. The have a pretty wide grip. People with not so big hands sometimes have trouble.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Buy a handgun just like you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. Shoot Safely....
According to Glock owners, you can waste your time trying as many guns as you wish........just to purchase a Glock in the end anyway.

My blog - I sell nothing don't worry.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:15 AM   #16
Jay

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfroggin View Post
According to Glock owners, you can waste your time trying as many guns as you wish........just to purchase a Glock in the end anyway.
Just consider the source. Holler when Glock has been making the same platform for 100 years.

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 06-16-2011, 09:06 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

To know what you might like, handle, and if possible shoot, as many as you can.

To know what one is worth, start with Bud's online and gunbroker.com. On gunbroker, just pay attention to what guns are actually selling for. And look for a forum like this one but more specific to your region. They usually have a buy/sell/trade section, and that will give you an idea what things are going for in your area.

I think you've picked a great caliber for your stated goals.

Happy shopping!

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 06-16-2011, 10:54 PM   #18

Liked 972 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 972

9mm semiauto... man there are so many good choices. If you're serious about staying at or under $400 you'll probably need to buy used and there are lots of good choices. Nothing wrong with old school like a BHP or CZ or even a S&W 59 but it's probably smart to kick in a little more and buy something new.

You originally said Glock so check out the new Gen4 G19. Without a backplate it feels real good in my hands and I'm 5'9" with medium size hands like you. You can add a medium or large backplate (included with the gun) if you want a larger grip. They tend to go for $500 or a little more but do come with three magazines where many other guns come with two so that saves you about $30 right there.

I just bought the 23Gen4, the 40S&W twin to the 19Gen4 and can't say enough about how good it is. And I'm an old school guy.

Here's a 23Gen4 by hickok45 if you want to see what one looks like, same-same except for caliber

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:24 AM   #19

Man honestly just get out there and shoot. IMO you cant go wrong in any fashion with a glock or smith and wesson. also, i would get out and shoot a lot before you go buy one for any type of use. my brother plays an online game and shoots all kinds of guns on there professionally, took him to the range, shot one real bullet set it down and refuses to pick up another one. its just all in the person.

for home use id get a 380 or 9mm. simply because i would trust that not to go through the house and risk hitting someone on the outside. thats just my .02

Old 06-17-2011, 12:42 AM   #20

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

At some point the time comes to shoot the engineers and start the project.

This thread is getting long in the tooth.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello