First gun suggestions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > First gun suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 06:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default First gun suggestions

Hi, I am new here. I am interested in purchasing my first handgun this week. I want to purchase it for self defense and recreation. I don't think I am looking for a revolver, I'd prefer an automatic. As far as caliber, I was thinking 9mm. Glock was one of the brands I was considering, however I am open to suggestions.

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-13-2011, 06:46 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

You have so many factors that have to be taken into consideration here. Size of hand, CCW?, used for specifically, size of person, when you will be carrying it, cost of ammunition....so on and so on. You will have many people say "this gun is the best, that gun is the best", but honestly, it has to fit YOU and no one can answer that for you. IMO, you should go to the range, rent some guns to shoot and see which one makes you happy.

Personally, I hate Glock, some love them, so again, its all up to the particular individual.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:49 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Welcome to the forum.

Most people will tell you which guns they like, but the best way to find one you will like & that fits you well is to find some ranges that rent guns for you to test drive or to find some friends with some of the models you might be interested in.

I have a CZ-75b 9mm that i have been very happy with as a all-metal, soft-recoil target pistol. People say they are a bit heavy for concealed carrying. Magazines are available that hold 15, 17, and 20 rounds (i bleve).

I also have a XD45 in .45ACP that i really enjoy shooting, but the ammo costs a lil bit more. It is a plastic-framed pistol that holds 13 rounds and is a bit bulky for concealed carry.

What kind of price range are you thinking on?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:51 PM   #4

5'10", athletic build. medium sized hands.
I don't plan to carry it around much, its for home defense, and for when I take it to the range.

Something that a beginner can handle and learn relatively quickly.

I am looking to spend between $300 and $400 dollars. I can go a bit higher but that range would be ideal

Old 06-13-2011, 06:55 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by D2h6r89 View Post
5'10", athletic build. medium sized hands.
I don't plan to carry it around much, its for home defense, and for when I take it to the range.

Something that a beginner can handle and learn relatively quickly.
Sounds like the softer recoil of a steel-framed pistol would be a factor with few negatives. Look at a CZ-75b at the range. If you want to pick up something less expensive, you might consider one of the used smith & wesson 5906 police trade ins (CDNN has some online, as do other places). Smith & Wesson Model 5906 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ $300 back page of their catalog.

Ruger made some nice semi-autos in that range (the Pseries http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_P_series ), but i think your money would go much further on a lightly used pistol, if you can find a trustworthy seller.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 06-13-2011 at 06:58 PM.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:01 PM   #6

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

If you could go up to $500 that would open up the possibilities greatly.

Stay away from cheap guns like Cobra, Hi Point or Jennings/Jimenez, stick with a reputable manufacturer like Springfield, Glock, Smith & Wesson, CZ, Beretta, etc..

Best advice I can give you is go out to a gun store and put 'em in your hand.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:02 PM   #7

I'm pretty sure I want a 9mm, and a friend of mine has a CZ75 (i think). Its definitely a Czech pistol

Old 06-13-2011, 07:03 PM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D2h6r89 View Post
I'm pretty sure I want a 9mm, and a friend of mine has a CZ75 (i think). Its definitely a Czech pistol
I personally like the XD by springfield. You can get them under 500 NIB. Give that a feel.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:20 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 234 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Per your description, this gun is tough to beat: S&W 5906 $359

There are deals to be had on Glocks and XDs for under $500, but getting under $400 can be tough. If you're determined to stay under $400, give some of the offerings from Bersa and Ruger a look.

I recommend visiting Bud's Gun Shop and just browsing around the pistol section so you know what your options are and have an idea where a competitive price falls on the guns you're interested in.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:20 PM   #10

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_lee View Post
If you could go up to $500 that would open up the possibilities greatly.
Best advice I can give you is go out to a gun store and put 'em in your hand.
Indeed. The same advice if you were buying your wife breast implants...you gotta feel and hold 'em with your hands to see how they fit and feel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cddbrowns View Post
I personally like the XD by springfield. You can get them under 500 NIB. Give that a feel.
A S&W M&P 9mm without the mag safety, would be very similar to that XD, a very good performer and in that same price range, or a bit under, as well.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”