First .45 ACP handgun - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > First .45 ACP handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 06:07 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I'm also in the market for the HK45. My second choice would definitely be the Springfield however.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:30 PM   #22

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryACR View Post
Hey gentlemen, I would really appreciate some feedback on this, because since I live in Commiefornia there aren't a lot of unbiased gun nuts out there that I can talk to! I'm in the market for my first .45 ACP handgun. To narrow it down (considerably, actually), I looked at recent military testing for a new standard military sidearm. the project was eventually canceled due to money issues, but it produced some incredible guns! Below are the pistols that were submitted for possible replacement, and they are the only pistols that I would consider buying. WHICH ONE?

HK45
SIG P220 Combat
Ruger P345
Smith & Wesson M&P
Glock 21SF
Beretta Px4 Storm
Taurus PT 24/7 OSS
Fabrique Nationale FNP45-USG
HS-45
Para-Ordnance LDA 1911

I can't offer specific experience on some of the guns but I have had personal trouble with Taurus auto's and heard of others. The M&P is a new gun - don't know how it will stand up - most likely fine - but not really known yet.
Ruger guns are invariably good guns. Glocks are ---well... Glocks. They just work. But you have to like the way they work.
Beretta makes the US military's primary handgun. 9mm but ... they know how to make guns.

Sig Sauer tries to make expensive good guns -- appealing to a clientele. I'm not sure that expensive always gets you good...

As for the 1911 design itself, there are detractors that try to claim it is deficient - that being the reason the US military gave it up after using it as primary handgun for 8 decades. The design is excellent - which should be obvious by the length of time the military used it - longer than any other gun design in history - and by the guns own reliability and performance. It is still in use by some military groups.

The change took place more as a bowing to political pressures -- bowing to world criticism from a humanitarian point of view; and a desire to change to a larger capacity gun, smaller caliber; and the desire to "make a change because the politicians and "experts" thought it was time". If those reasons (look up the history yourself) make good sense to you from a lethality, reliability point of view then shy away from the 1911 design.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:40 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1279 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

I have a Para ordnance SA .45, and really like it. It is accurate, recoil is no big deal, and has sufficient safety features that the SA aspect is not a problem as long as I act right. Para makes a model S14.45, which is a full-size, 5" barrel SA, with double-stacked 14-round magazine. Kinda pricey, around $1200 but very good quality. Para's are kinda tricky to disassemble and reassemble, due to extreme heavy recoil spring, but you could consider that just a way to build strength in your arms and fingers.
I also have a Para Warthog, a SA with a 3"barrel. Easy to conceal, surprisingly accurate, never had a FTF nor FTE. The disassembly and reassembly is like previously described for the full-size model, only on steroids - much more challenging. But I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #24

Liked 2103 Times on 1157 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

I shoot IDPA once a month. There are a crap load of people shooting 1911 guns. No way that is just coincidence. I shoot one too. I have 14 handguns. But that 1911 is by far the best performer. And it is one of the lower priced guns.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

While I'm on the subject, I also have a Ruger P345. It is accurate, sturdy, and pretty lightweight due to the polymer frame. I don't have any complaints about it. I carry it when I can wear a jacket to cover it, but I live in South Carolina, so there are not a lot of days cool enough for the jacket. It does have an 8+1 capacity, single-stacked, so at the range with only 2 magazines it is necessary to reload frequently. But being a Ruger, it is safe to assume it'll still be going strong for my great-grandson.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:52 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby View Post
I can't offer specific experience on some of the guns but I have had personal trouble with Taurus auto's and heard of others. The M&P is a new gun - don't know how it will stand up - most likely fine - but not really known yet.
Ruger guns are invariably good guns. Glocks are ---well... Glocks. They just work. But you have to like the way they work.
Beretta makes the US military's primary handgun. 9mm but ... they know how to make guns.

Sig Sauer tries to make expensive good guns -- appealing to a clientele. I'm not sure that expensive always gets you good...

As for the 1911 design itself, there are detractors that try to claim it is deficient - that being the reason the US military gave it up after using it as primary handgun for 8 decades. The design is excellent - which should be obvious by the length of time the military used it - longer than any other gun design in history - and by the guns own reliability and performance. It is still in use by some military groups.

The change took place more as a bowing to political pressures -- bowing to world criticism from a humanitarian point of view; and a desire to change to a larger capacity gun, smaller caliber; and the desire to "make a change because the politicians and "experts" thought it was time". If those reasons (look up the history yourself) make good sense to you from a lethality, reliability point of view then shy away from the 1911 design.
Yep. Concerning the military trade-off of the .45 1911 for the higher capacity DA/SA 9MM's, I don't believe it was due to any disappointment with the 1911's, but the 9MM was sorta a NATO standard, and ammo was cheaper than .45 ammo. NATO troops could share ammo if in a pinch. Some USMC outfits carry Kimber .45's though, even now.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:35 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 310 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 45

My favorite 45acps are:

1) 1911
2) Sig P220
3) Springfield XDm45

The XDm can't enjoy its designed capacity in Cali, so go with #1 or #2. Both are great guns.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:52 AM   #28

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I would have to say my
1.SA TRP 1911
2.M&P.45
I love them both to death the M&P is a excellent firearm in .45
image-4159097333.jpg   image-2613727247.jpg  

Old 09-28-2012, 03:17 AM   #29

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I own the glock 21sf and never had issue with it. Very accurate easy to clean and maintain.

image-3587198161.jpg

Old 09-28-2012, 04:26 AM   #30

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I would say the Sig 220. I have never shot the combat version, but I have put countless rounds down range with out any hiccup what so ever in the "normal". I have never had a problem at all, even if i miss cleaning it and take it back out.