Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   First .45 ACP handgun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/first-45-acp-handgun-33569/)

HenryACR 10-26-2010 08:46 PM

First .45 ACP handgun

Hey gentlemen, I would really appreciate some feedback on this, because since I live in Commiefornia there aren't a lot of unbiased gun nuts out there that I can talk to! I'm in the market for my first .45 ACP handgun. To narrow it down (considerably, actually), I looked at recent military testing for a new standard military sidearm. the project was eventually canceled due to money issues, but it produced some incredible guns! Below are the pistols that were submitted for possible replacement, and they are the only pistols that I would consider buying. WHICH ONE?

HK45
SIG P220 Combat
Ruger P345
Smith & Wesson M&P
Glock 21SF
Beretta Px4 Storm
Taurus PT 24/7 OSS
Fabrique Nationale FNP45-USG
HS-45
Para-Ordnance LDA 1911

orangello 10-26-2010 08:50 PM

I'm extremely fond of my Springfield XD45 with the 5" barrel (tacticool model), but it isn't on your list, probably due to the lack of a thumb safety option in the first batch/years (IIRC military requires thumb safety).

From your list, I would probably go for the Beretta or the FNP45.

It's sad your state doesn't respect the U.S. Constitution or parts thereof; we have property available here in MS should you choose to find freedom. :)

spittinfire 10-26-2010 08:56 PM

From your list, I would lean towards the Para. I have to ask this, if you can afford an HK, why not a 1911 without the LDA? Nothing wrong with it but do you not like the SA 1911s?

HenryACR 10-26-2010 08:58 PM

the reason is because i only want to buy a modern, military grade handgun. if the us military didnt look at your suggestion and instead leaned towards another, there's probably some small reason for it. if your 1911 suggestion can outperform everything else on the list, I'm game. and by the way, price is irrelevant.

Missileman 10-26-2010 09:00 PM

If money is no object, I would pick the HK45 hands down.

dunerunner 10-26-2010 09:00 PM

I lean more toward Colt's Manufacturing Company LLC

Colt's Manufacturing Company LLC

Pita 10-26-2010 09:09 PM

I have three 1911's but have never shot a para ordinace. I would rate mine in the order of impportance to me as:
1. Colt Gold Cup
2. Kimber Pro CDP II
3. Dan Wesson C Bob

All are equally good shooters but I prefer the 5" barrel. I did have the Eliason sights drilled for paint dots which helped immensly. I shoot indoors and night sights are also wonderful.

General_lee 10-26-2010 09:13 PM

The 1911 WAS THE standard American military sidearm for several decades.
I wouldn't be so quick to judge the tried and true just because it's not "Modern".
Just because the design is old, doesn't mean it's outdated.
the 1911A1 is still considered by many to be the best .45acp pistol ever designed.

If the 1911 isn't your thing, I would definitely go with another type of steel frame gun.
Sure, the plastic guns are "tough", but you just can't beat steel.

utf59 10-26-2010 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HenryACR (Post 375000)
HK45
SIG P220 Combat
Ruger P345
Smith & Wesson M&P
Glock 21SF
Beretta Px4 Storm
Taurus PT 24/7 OSS
Fabrique Nationale FNP45-USG
HS-45
Para-Ordnance LDA 1911

I was looking seriously at the HK 45 for myself a while back. The deal breaker for me was that it had such a low capacity for a full-size gun. But since you live in California, the capacity would be fine for you.

I personally would not buy a Taurus I've just heard too many complaints.

Full-size Ruger autos fell like bricks in my hands, though I love their .22s and revolvers.

I love my Glocks, so the G21 would be on my list.

I don't like the high bore axis on Sigs that's strictly a personal preference. It looks like the Storm might have the same issue, though I've never handled, much less shot one.

I like the M&Ps I have shot, though I've never shot any in .45.

I've never even handled any of the other three, though I do know in general how a 1911 feels, and I like it. I've never fired an LDA 1911, though.

I have fired XD45s, and they are sweet.

Happy shopping, and happy shooting!

CA357 10-26-2010 09:55 PM

Not gonna argue.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...niceday002.jpg