Firingpin for sighting?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Firingpin for sighting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 06:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 290 Times on 251 Posts

Default Firingpin for sighting?

Anyone who shoots SA or DA/SA use the back end of the firingpin to sight/aim? I've found it to be amazingly accurate and so much faster to acquire without the necessity of closing one eye.

As long as I hold my shooting hand directly out in front of the corresponding eye the natural point of the gun in hand seems to do the rest. It's actually quite amazing. I've never had much accuracy until now, using this system.

Makes no sense either. There's no sight radius to help, so I've yet to figure how this plays. Maybe it allows me not to over think it and trust my natural pointing instincts...? Very curious, but very exciting at same time. I'm going to test it at further distances next time I can find some Damn ammo! Lol

Thus far I've only attempted at the typical 10-20ft. However, and also, I find its easier when shooting on the move to keep target acquired and aim on spot. Now I've got one gun I'm going to have to remove the Bluing from this spot on so there's enough contrast to quickly gain sight of.

Anyway, just a thought and curiosity.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-06-2013, 01:16 AM   #2

Liked 80 Times on 67 Posts

Hmmm, interesting. I've never heard of that before.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:22 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox
Anyone who shoots SA or DA/SA use the back end of the firingpin to sight/aim? I've found it to be amazingly accurate and so much faster to acquire without the necessity of closing one eye.

As long as I hold my shooting hand directly out in front of the corresponding eye the natural point of the gun in hand seems to do the rest. It's actually quite amazing. I've never had much accuracy until now, using this system.

Makes no sense either. There's no sight radius to help, so I've yet to figure how this plays. Maybe it allows me not to over think it and trust my natural pointing instincts...? Very curious, but very exciting at same time. I'm going to test it at further distances next time I can find some Damn ammo! Lol

Thus far I've only attempted at the typical 10-20ft. However, and also, I find its easier when shooting on the move to keep target acquired and aim on spot. Now I've got one gun I'm going to have to remove the Bluing from this spot on so there's enough contrast to quickly gain sight of.

I'm confused

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:25 AM   #4

Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts

The firing pin is directly inline with center bore, definitely a different way to do it but with practice you could probably do some real shooting

Old 03-06-2013, 09:29 AM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2905 Times on 1675 Posts
Likes Given: 1255

I had to do that one time in competition when the front sight came off.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 03-06-2013, 03:50 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5732 Times on 2995 Posts
Likes Given: 379

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post

Thats how it was done in ye olden days when guns had either no sights or trench sights at best. Its how you shoot with colt's new agent pistols and some sa revolvers.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-07-2013, 12:51 AM   #7

Liked 290 Times on 251 Posts

It has completely rescued and reshaped my shooting comfort and accuracy. I feel confident for the first time in my shot placement.

Sounds logical to think that was the way it once were. Good info guys, thanks.