Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Firingpin for sighting? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/firingpin-sighting-85496/)

BeyondTheBox 03-01-2013 06:14 AM

Firingpin for sighting?

Anyone who shoots SA or DA/SA use the back end of the firingpin to sight/aim? I've found it to be amazingly accurate and so much faster to acquire without the necessity of closing one eye.

As long as I hold my shooting hand directly out in front of the corresponding eye the natural point of the gun in hand seems to do the rest. It's actually quite amazing. I've never had much accuracy until now, using this system.

Makes no sense either. There's no sight radius to help, so I've yet to figure how this plays. Maybe it allows me not to over think it and trust my natural pointing instincts...? Very curious, but very exciting at same time. I'm going to test it at further distances next time I can find some Damn ammo! Lol

Thus far I've only attempted at the typical 10-20ft. However, and also, I find its easier when shooting on the move to keep target acquired and aim on spot. Now I've got one gun I'm going to have to remove the Bluing from this spot on so there's enough contrast to quickly gain sight of.

Anyway, just a thought and curiosity.

RustyShackleford101 03-06-2013 01:16 AM

Hmmm, interesting. I've never heard of that before.

Squawk 03-06-2013 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox
Anyone who shoots SA or DA/SA use the back end of the firingpin to sight/aim? I've found it to be amazingly accurate and so much faster to acquire without the necessity of closing one eye.

As long as I hold my shooting hand directly out in front of the corresponding eye the natural point of the gun in hand seems to do the rest. It's actually quite amazing. I've never had much accuracy until now, using this system.

Makes no sense either. There's no sight radius to help, so I've yet to figure how this plays. Maybe it allows me not to over think it and trust my natural pointing instincts...? Very curious, but very exciting at same time. I'm going to test it at further distances next time I can find some Damn ammo! Lol

Thus far I've only attempted at the typical 10-20ft. However, and also, I find its easier when shooting on the move to keep target acquired and aim on spot. Now I've got one gun I'm going to have to remove the Bluing from this spot on so there's enough contrast to quickly gain sight of.

I'm confused

bige91603 03-06-2013 01:25 AM

The firing pin is directly inline with center bore, definitely a different way to do it but with practice you could probably do some real shooting

danf_fl 03-06-2013 09:29 AM

I had to do that one time in competition when the front sight came off.

JonM 03-06-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox (Post 1158740)

Thats how it was done in ye olden days when guns had either no sights or trench sights at best. Its how you shoot with colt's new agent pistols and some sa revolvers.

BeyondTheBox 03-07-2013 12:51 AM

It has completely rescued and reshaped my shooting comfort and accuracy. I feel confident for the first time in my shot placement.

Sounds logical to think that was the way it once were. Good info guys, thanks.