Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Firing pin stuck OUT (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/firing-pin-stuck-out-5727/)

jeb 07-20-2008 06:02 PM

Firing pin stuck OUT

Brand new gun, the thing won't even chamber.

The cartridge rim gets caught underneith the protruding firing pin on initial feed. Firing pin ain't moving.

Ruger LCP.

Quick fix or no?

BigO01 07-20-2008 07:25 PM

I suppose it would be worth a bit of time and a small amount of money to get a can of Gunscrubber and a can spray lube and shoot it first with the scrubber then some lube to see if it frees it up .

If it does I would do a field strip and clean it the best you can as it could be some dirt from the factory test firing of the weapon .

Other than this is would say send it back to Ruger to make it right as it could be a broken spring , oversized firing pin/undersized tunnel or combination of those .

If it were a 1911 you could remove and replace the firing pin and spring if need be in a few seconds .

jeb 07-20-2008 09:23 PM

Thanks Big. When I initially stripped it I noticed the protruding firing pin right away.

I just stripped it again and tried to push on the firing pin from the front but it wouldn't move. Put it back together and dry fired it a few times. The firing pin was back inside the slide. I stripped it and pushed the firing pin back and forth from the back and it is indeed free.

Problem solved? Seems to be, but I'll take it out and test it.

Any other words from the forum would be welcome.

Thanks.

cpttango30 07-20-2008 09:31 PM

I would take the bolt apart and really scrub out the inside of the bole body an the firing pin. Lube with good quality gun grease and reassemble.

G21.45 07-20-2008 11:18 PM

Ahh, no! Trust me on this: Don't use grease inside an FP channel. A light oil is all you'll ever need. (And you are going to have to take that firing pin assembly apart to have a look see.) ;)

BigO01 07-21-2008 07:17 AM

Jeb I think a call to Ruger is in order here .

After pulling up the manual and looking at the schematic I personally wouldn't trust my life to that gun as it is now .

The only things that I can see that could perhaps interfere with the Firing pin would be the firing pin retainer or the extractor .

I am thinking it is either an improperly sized/fitted part or it could just be a design quirk that in field stripping the gun you somehow hit on .

Could you have been pulling the trigger while you installed the slide back on the frame ?

Either way I would unload it and stash it in the safe and leave it there until I could speak to a Ruger Smith that knows this model well and can explain what happened and why .

jeb 07-22-2008 02:55 AM

While the function of the pistol seems fine at this point, I've yet to fire it. I'll give Ruger CS a holler tomorrow and see what they say. I'll definitely shoot the thing before I contemplate sending it back. I'm a gun counter guy at a 'well known' firearms sales location. I see this kind of stuff every day.

Thanks for the comments, great forum!