Finding mixed reviews on SCCY (SKKY) CPX-1 need your input. - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Finding mixed reviews on SCCY (SKKY) CPX-1 need your input.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Shot my neighbors sccy cpx-1( i believe) last weekend. IMO too small and im not sure what its problem was but it did not like Remington FMJ 115 AT ALL. ftf every 3 shots

Old 01-16-2012, 01:28 AM   #42

Likes Given: 5

I have had my CPX-2 for a couple of months now. I have put 320 rounds of assorted fmj and jhp downrange. I had 1 failure to feed on the last round of the first magazine. It has been flawless since then. 310 rounds with no problems.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #43

I had a first gen cpx-1 that failed terribly. Failure to feed as well as failure to eject properly. I called the company and they had me send it in. They then sent me a whole new firearm. The second gen cpx-1. This one has a guard under the safety which keeps one from being able to bump the safety while firing. However, the problem with the guard is that after shooting 4 or five mags it begins to dig into the hand just behind the thumb. Shooting gloves took care of this problem for the range so it's not that big of a deal given that I doubt I'll need 4 or 5 mags for a ccw situation. As far as shooting I've had very few failures with the second gen model. Probably 3 failures out of around 1000 rounds which isn't bad for a firearm priced this low. All in all, the 1st gen is junk but the 2nd gen is worth it's price tag. That being said, the price difference between the kel-tec and the cpx are not so different and I would suggest the kel-tec over the cpx as far as quality and reliability go.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:21 AM   #44

I have been a Kel-Tec fan for years. I like to carry my CCW in my front pocket, I prefer a firearm thats 9mm, small, compact, and light weight. I originally, started with a KT P-11. The size and weight of this gun was perfect, but the trigger pull was long and heavy and had a horrible snap that actually hurt my trigger finger when I shot it. After that I went with a KT PF-9, that I've used for several years. Its the right size, 9mm and it works good. However, it only has a 7+1 capacity.
I recently shot a friends CPX-1. I had never heard of SCCY firearms, so I was a little sceptical. Comparing his SCCY to my Kel-tec PF-9 they were pretty much Identical in shape and size, with the PF-9 being a little thinner. The SCCY was a bit thicker and a few ounces heaver, but also had 3 more rounds. This was a big plus in my book. The SCCY was also about $50 cheaper than my PF-9 and came with an extra mag. The CPX is almost identical in shape, size and weight as the Kel-tec P-11, but the trigger on the CPX is 100% better. All thing considered I bought my own CPX-2 a few days later.
The first thing I did with my new gun was to load both mags and let them sit for a few days. Both of the mags were very stiff and hard to load. Then I took the gun apart, polished the feed ramp, and cleaned/lubed it really well. The manual describes the proper way to load the firearm. (Lock slide back/insert full mag/drop slide). My full mags were difficult to lock in place if the slide wasn't locked back.
I took my CPX-2 to the range today and shot 100 rds of Federal 115gn target ammo through it. The gun fed and ejected perfectly. It was also fairly accurate for my first shoot. The only issue I had was the rear assembly pin wanted to work out a small bit. I emailed SCCY and asked them the easiest way to fix the problem. Within 15 minutes I had a call from their repair department. The woman I spoke to said they were aware of the assembly pin problem, and they were anticipating a shipment of larger diameter pins in a few weeks. She also said if I wanted to, that I could use some Loc-tite on the ends of the pins and that will prevent any future movement. Thats what I call customer service! Try getting a personal phone call within 15 minutes from Beretta or Ruger.
Final thoughts on the CPX Gen 2. Keep in mind I've only shot 100rds through mine. But its the right size/shape/weight for CC. Decent accuracy, 10+1 capacity, 9mm, 2mags, reliable out of the box, under $300 and AWESOME CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Old 01-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #45

Default update

Ran another 100rds through yesterday without a hick-up! A couple dabs of Loc-tite fixed the loose pin issues. I'm carry it in a Galco ISWB holster that seems to work fine.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:11 AM   #46

Which Galco ISWB are you rocking?

Old 01-23-2012, 01:16 AM   #47

Mine is a Stow-N-Go type, it has a model number K109L.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:49 AM   #48

You might want to look at these aswell. I just ordered two for $19.98, including shipping . One for my CPX and one for my PF9.
"Tuck-Able" holster from Ace case (size "J")

Old 01-29-2012, 09:34 PM   #49

I just bought a cpx-1 first gen. and had same problems with the safety engageing when fireing a few rounds. I emailed SCCY about the issue and had a reply with in a couple hours. They told me that they had two thing that they could do. First is the same thing a couple owners did them self. That they could file a safety lever down and send it to me. The other thing is that they have a safety eliminator they could send that locks safety in fireing position. I gave them my info and within a week the parts were at my house. Now with the safety issue fixed i have no complaints about firearm. The issue about being junk. I own a couple glocks, keltec , a couple 1911 and some smiths. Sure they dont compare to the high end pistols, but it does go BANG when you pull the trigger and hit what i aim at. It is the one i carry when i go out. Its small, light, accurate and low cost. Which is good, if some stupied reason the police take it. This way im not out a kimber or something else.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:10 PM   #50

Well my Sccy made it to about 320 rounds before I had a major problem with it. (worn/egg shaped take down pin hole and a guide rod issue) the folks at Sccy made it right with no issues. They replaced the entire receiver/handle section, essentially everything but the barrel and slide. No problems at all with customer service. The gun was reliable day one, and I only had 1 FTF in the entire 320 rounds. Unfortunately, I kinda lost faith in its long term reliability, and I ended up trading it in on a hard chrome model P11. The new Kel tec has a brutal trigger pull, and the slide is tough to pull back, but it goes bang every time. I know I'll get thousands of rounds through it with out an issue.