Finding mixed reviews on SCCY (SKKY) CPX-1 need your input. - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Finding mixed reviews on SCCY (SKKY) CPX-1 need your input.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2010, 03:52 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Pics

Okay so I still can't get the SD card to work so I tried with my cell phone. Hopefully this this will be enough to illustrate what I'm trying to say.
And by the way. I 3 different Kel Tec Firearms. (Pf 9, PF 11, Sub comp 2000) In my opinion, the Skyy CPX-1 is pretty much the same as the PF 11 with only the safety and trigger pull being the difference. The trigger pull on the CPX is much easier than the PF 11. This could possibly be why the safety was added.

Safetyfixed | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The safety is simple to remove. Just a little flat head screw on the left side. Remove that and pull the safety out, it's easy.
Then I used a dremel tool to grind it down.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:41 PM   #32

Likes Given: 5

My lgs got in the Sccy CPX2. It appears to be the same gun with no manual safety.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:20 PM   #33

Default Sccy cpx-1

I was one of the first Dealers to take the leap of faith on the SCCY guns. I have never regretted for one second that decision. I have sold well over 75 of them and have yet to have one back in for repairs. The only problem I have is keeping them in stock as they go out about as fast as they come in and supporting a large inventory is hard so you have to split the money between items. Dealer cost is fair and the mark up is ok. You can find a ton of them on gun broker cheaper but most of my customers realize that by the time you pay 30.00 to ship what should be 10.00 and then 25.00 to 35.00 in FFL transfer fees they mostly coose to buy local anyway. I also have any guns that need warranty work brought back to me and I take care of the shipping and fixing. I am sorry to those who I offend but I love the little guns with a great capacity magazine in 9mm. To me it is the perfect carry weapon. I guess one problem is it does not cost enough to qualify to be an elete gun. I have a constant flow of Glocks in for repair, so to me cost has nothing to do with it. The Distributor is tops and I know exactly when they will arrive. Some Distributors I wait weeks for them to order then ship instead of telling me they are out. They are light, they are small, and they have a gread ambi safety along with a very efficient trigger lock. I find no internal likeness to the Kel Tech but not against them either. I do think they outshine the Ruger LCP9. It may be thin but being that thin just does not fit the hand right. Racking the round into the chamber is a breez and a young lady can do it in a snap. So while not doubting many other guns I hold the SCCY in high regard and it will only get a bad reputation buy those who have never owned one or because it is to inexpensive to be a real gun to some. So for around $300.00 bucks I do not think there is much else I would rather have.
Dave
Henderson Enterprises Gunshop

Old 03-22-2011, 12:01 AM   #34

Likes Given: 5

Thanks for your post Hegunshop. I just put a CPX2 on layaway and was wandering if I had done the right thing (buyer's remorse). I was looking around some gun forums and was getting mixed reviews. I went to my email and got this notice about a thread I had subscribed to (this thread).
My lgs has the same opinion of SCCY as you do. I am looking forward to picking my SCCY up this Friday. I hope I can give this gun kudos.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:13 AM   #35

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I own a cpx-1. Sccy now sells the cpx-2 without the safety for about the same price as the cpx-1. I can tell you that it is too easy for you to accidentally engage the safety while firing it. If you are interested in using one of these for SD, I would highly recommend the cpx-2.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:22 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by franco45 View Post
Thanks for your post Hegunshop. I just put a CPX2 on layaway and was wandering if I had done the right thing (buyer's remorse). I was looking around some gun forums and was getting mixed reviews. I went to my email and got this notice about a thread I had subscribed to (this thread).
My lgs has the same opinion of SCCY as you do. I am looking forward to picking my SCCY up this Friday. I hope I can give this gun kudos.
I think you will enjoy it a lot, there was a good post about the safety and sometimes being engaged in the excitment of shooting. I do not disagree with that you just have to be aware of it. I only order CPX-1's in fact I ordered 6 today. There was also a good post on removal of the safety but then you do have a warranty issue there. I come from a military background with a lot of shooting involved and was tought with a safety and shoot my M9's on a regular basis so it is what you get used to and are trained on. It's kind of like if your first car was a Ford that is what you will love forever. I think people who really just bash the gun have little experiance with it. Go buy a taurus and take that sucker apart and look at more moving parts than the space shuttle has. One of the most critical parts is a 1/8 inch stub of plastic built into the whole lower frame. I have had 3 of those break now. Admitted the factory fixed all 3 but they have been trying to work into the police and military markets with some of their new guns and are not going to get there that way. The tranfer bar from the trigger to the firing mecanics is what breaks the stub for some reason. Hopefully they will correct it. To me that is a good reason the military sticks with the M9 the plastic lowers with 4 hardpoints just would not stand up in the sand and dirt like the M9 does. But remember that is only my opinion and everyone on here will have a differant one and yet none be wrong, so you have to make your decisions based on all the data not just one or two reports.
Dave

Last edited by hegunshop; 03-22-2011 at 12:25 AM.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:14 PM   #37

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Cpx1

I got mine at a gunshow for about $300.
I wished I'd saved a little longer...Safety was junk. Even after getting the upgraded lever (plastic), it still would engage during firing. It was NOT because my thumb was sliding up, either...
Finally, traded that and an old Rossi 38 for a new S&W 642. Couldn't be happier.

Shame I had to loose so much cash on the deal. I chalk it up as a learning experience.
"It's cheap for a reason".

I now have a CZ 75 9MM. THAT's a REAL pistol....

YMMV

G

Old 03-27-2011, 06:27 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gortok View Post
I got mine at a gunshow for about $300.
I wished I'd saved a little longer...Safety was junk. Even after getting the upgraded lever (plastic), it still would engage during firing. It was NOT because my thumb was sliding up, either...
Finally, traded that and an old Rossi 38 for a new S&W 642. Couldn't be happier.

Shame I had to loose so much cash on the deal. I chalk it up as a learning experience.
"It's cheap for a reason".

I now have a CZ 75 9MM. THAT's a REAL pistol....

YMMV

G
Well, goes to prove there is two sides to every gun. I have told many of customer that if you want foolproof go with a revolver so when you pull triger it go boom. If you do not pull the trigger it don't go boom. One person has good luck with them and others bad luck. I have found that to be true with vertually every type of firearm sold. Next to my nightstand I have two guns as my gun shop is connected to my house and they are a Smith and Wesson model 60 5 shot 38 and a 1911 Colt built in 1918. Neither gun has ever let me down and I feel pretty confidant they will work. They are my first line guns and then I have my Berretta M9, my CPx1 and under the bed a 870 tactical. Ok so I am paranoid. My wife and I have a plan of exactly what to do if the alarm goes off and where each of us will be and what guns each will take. I am forturante to have a indoor range downstairs that can handle anything up to a 45 cal. in it. My father had it made for me on my 25th birthday and it is still handling everything I throw at it with a 3ftX3ft opening. I went down last night with my CPX1 because of the above post, and I have no reason to doubt it and would be the last person on earth to ever say anyone is wrong as each and ever person has a right to their opinions and also no two guns perform exactly the same. I fired a full box of 9mm and the only thing wrong was my fingers from loading those magazines without a loader. That is a department that surely needs correction. Also I found that when you buy one you have to take both magazines and use sandpaper or in my case one of those sponge sanders and take off the sharp corners of the forward edges of the magazines as man they will stick you hard if you don't. It functioned fine and without any problems and I did not have any safety issues. Again do not assume I am saying that someone did not have problems. One true statement is you do usually get what you pay for. My M9 is by far one of the most reliable guns I have ever owned, but it has more moving parts than a 1911. So I still hold with the original unmodified 1911 45 ACP as being my number one choice for home. A carry gun is differant completly as lugging a 1911 does not make sense in todays world, but I usually stick with my Model 60 Smith or my Walther PPK. I also carry the CPX 1 in my carry bag. Yep it is overkill, but when I go on a gun buying trip I may have things someone else wants and I do not intend to give them up easy. If it was not for the weight there is no doubt in my mind I would have the M9 or 1911 with me. So my recomendation is if you are going to buy a gun do not take anyones word for it, find someone who has one and there must be somewhere you can shoot and put a box or two through it. Only then will you know if you will like it. A gunshop sells you what they have in stock, and most often recomends what they have in stock, me included. But I also am very upfront about cost vs quality and what is the purpose of the gun. If you are going to target shoot you do not want a raven arms 25 auto. If you are looking for a carry gun then you really do not want a M9. So look at the purpose as it is very hard to find one gun that fits all jobs. Good luck and if someone yells duck try to beat them to it.
Dave

Old 08-13-2011, 01:01 AM   #39
mxm

It is a POS. I currently have one now that is broken the second time. I had to ship it to them for service within 3 weeks from purchase with something broken on the inside. It would not feed the round and hung up two or three times a clip . I had only ran 30 rounds through it. I got it back and it has been 8 months before i was able to run a few more rounds. It fire 30 rounds ok and got to the point it will not eject the spent round and hangs again. I called and got BS about firing the wrong ammo ( same that i fire in all my other guns) and was told to get some winchester shells. I did and now it is broke on the inside again and I can't to get the slide to go back. It has a lifetime warranty, but if you use it as a protection weapon, the warranty may expire sooner than you expect. Short story, get something else

Old 08-13-2011, 06:43 AM   #40

Their do seem to be quite a bit of mixed reviews on this one. The first one that I had (from previous posts with the safety fix) turned out to be crap. It worked great for several hundred rounds, possible 1000 or so but I don't normally keep count. But then it would not eject shells at all. I called several times for about 3 weeks with no response until I then decided to connect to a sales rep and convey to them just how displeased I was with their crappy customer service as well as the quality of their product. The rep then connected me with "someone in charge" and they handled the situation immediately and gave me the info to mail the firearm back to them for repair. About 2 weeks later I received a package in the mail from SCCY and rather than repair my gun they sent me a brand new one that turned out to be the 2nd generation CPX-1 model which has had around about 1000 rounds put through it so far with minimal issues. It only tends to start to have feeding/jamming issues when it gets hot from continuous shooting. Once I let it cool down it shoots just fine and is very accurate. All in all, thus far I would trust my new on for conceal carry since I wouldn't anticipate needing to put a hundred rounds through it. Especially since I only carry 2 mags with me.
But when it gets down to brass tacks then save your money and get a Kel Tec but if you really really really need something now and cheap then the CPX will do as a "better than nothing" kind of thing. Keeping in mind though that you can get a variety of nice brands in .380 for around $300 or cheaper that would be very reliable and do what they need to do. Because there are 3 different types of 9mm rounds. there is 9x17 which is .380, then there is 9x18 used in the makarov and then there is the 9x19 which is the typical American 9mm round. Not a big difference really when it comes down to it!