Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Finding mixed reviews on SCCY (SKKY) CPX-1 need your input.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2009, 01:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Finding mixed reviews on SCCY (SKKY) CPX-1 need your input.

I am researching a nice little compact SCCY (SKKY) CPX-01 9mm for my concealed gun. I am finding mixed reviews on the forums on their page. It seems you either get a great gun or you get one with problems. Any of you have any experience with this gun? What did you find?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-22-2009, 02:11 PM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

First off, how much does it cost?

The pistol your are looking at is pretty much a carbon copy of a Kel-Tec 9mm (at least to my eyes).

It seems like if the cost is really up there, you might be better off going with a Kel-Tec instead.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:15 PM   #3

You can get one for aroun $275 that is with two clips and clip finger extensions. I am going to go out again today and check other dealers and see what I find. But its a nice gun for the price.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:24 PM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Be sure to compare this weapon to the Kel-Tec as far as the quality of the internals. They look the same on the outside, but the internals is where it matters.

Good luck in your searches.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:16 PM   #5

I will not be buying this gun. Upon further review there are lots of horror stories and I just can't trust my life to a gun that won't work.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
Be sure to compare this weapon to the Kel-Tec as far as the quality of the internals. They look the same on the outside, but the internals is where it matters.

Good luck in your searches.

I do not own a SCCY or a Kel-Tec, but I disagree that the SCCY is the same as the Kel-Tec. The Kel-Tec (P-3, P-11, and the PF-9) does not have a manual safety, which for me is a significant requirement for a primary CCW.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:46 AM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGSnow View Post
I do not own a SCCY or a Kel-Tec, but I disagree that the SCCY is the same as the Kel-Tec. The Kel-Tec (P-3, P-11, and the PF-9) does not have a manual safety, which for me is a significant requirement for a primary CCW.
The P3AT (and the LCP) are specifically designed NOT to have a safety. You can not accidentally fire these pistols, you must intentionally pull the trigger full travel every shot. In a surprize hostile situation you will be LUCKY just to extract your pistol and cap several rounds... let alone dropping a safety!

I carry my P3AT with one in the pipe at all times. All I have to do is aim and squeeze.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:54 AM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbranstner View Post
I will not be buying this gun. Upon further review there are lots of horror stories and I just can't trust my life to a gun that won't work.
Get a .357 Magnum revolver... Ruger, Taurus, Colt, S&W, or whatever. If you want a trouble-free SD gun.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:28 AM   #9

Default Got one!

Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner or I'd have replied sooner...was on the road.

I own a Sccy CPX-1. Have had it for about 6 months now. I have hands that are somewhat on the smaller side and it fits in my hands very well. It's a small DAO autopistol that very closely resembles offerings from Kel-Tec. However, the SCCY features an ambidextrous safety.

I have shot about 100 rounds through my Sccy, everything from Blaser brass to Lawman to even WOLF and I have not had a single failure to function yet. I, too, have read the internet horror stories; I read them all AFTER I bought the gun though so I was already stuck. However, I must say, mine has been extremely reliable with all types of ammunition and while it has one heck of a bark when fired (as it would being so small), it is actually also rather accurate. At 10 meters I can make every round in the magazine a headshot. The trigger pull, though it's double action, is fairly smooth.

I will say this: for anyone with a bigger hand, the recoil of the firing weapon CAN cause your thumb to nudge the safety back into the "on" position. I've had it happen in the middle of a magazine. You'll be firing..."bang...bang...hey what the hell...oh wait...bang..." Probably not good. I've had to consciously switch my grip when shooting that hand to keep my thumb away from the ambidextrous safety. Since I've done that, I've had no problems.

Overally, my experience has been a good one with the Sccy. Functions well, easy to clean and care for and nice and small.

It's definitely no Glock though. And the advice to go with a .357 revolver isn't a bad idea either. I've got a Taurus 65 that I love.

Josh

http://www.joshuasilverman.com

Old 05-04-2009, 01:28 AM   #10

Default sccy vs. kel-tec

I bought a kel-tec a year ago and then bought the sccy as a gift for my dad. After I shot both guns, I must admit the sccy impressed me. The safety was nice since that's preferred by my dad and it is unique. The trigger pull is less and more crisp on the sccy. My groups were better with the sccy by inches at 30 feet. I'm keeping my p-11 because he won't trade. It's a great gun for the price and i'd be willing to bet the price will be going up pretty soon. As soon as the word gets out.