Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   FFL dealers (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/ffl-dealers-66210/)

sbitter 06-11-2012 02:14 AM

FFL dealers

I have been curious about this for years. How much cheaper do FFL dealers get guns for. Im just curious.what it costs them to get a pistol. Like if it cost me 800 how much does it probably cost them?

jordan89 06-11-2012 04:13 AM

My LGS has told me that they make between 50-100 off of each new gun.

Durangokid 06-11-2012 04:40 AM

They make very little on new guns. Most of them mark up 10 to 15%. The Big stores go for volume. They do well on ammo and shooting items. The used gun market is very profitable for many outlets.:)

sbitter 06-11-2012 04:54 AM

That's really interesting so it really isn't each sell but the volume they sell. Hmmm very interesting that's good to know, thanks for the responses

c3shooter 06-11-2012 10:56 AM

Depends on the dealer- and the volume THEY have with THEIR distributors. And to some extent, WHICH gun. Used or new? Cheap gun, pricy gun. Gun-of-the-week, or a slow moving classic that may sit in the rack for 9 months?

hiwall 06-11-2012 01:07 PM

In most cases if it is a gun at a mass merchant then you can buy it for the same or lower price as the FFL dealer.

taosgunguy 06-11-2012 01:51 PM

I'm a small FFL with six distributor accounts, make between $40 and $90 per gun depending on selling price. I do the transfer as a part of that, so this ain't no big profit business for the little guy. I also have ordered guns from Buds for customers when I couldn't find them anywhere else and just took a $30 transfer fee.

gollygee 06-11-2012 04:05 PM

My LGS, when I order through Davidson's makes about 15% + freight. He makes more than that on guns he has in inventory.

Some manufacturers and/or distributors may give discounts based on order size or maybe on annual $$$ volume. I know that Kimber & STI have a minimum first order amount in order to become a "dealer". I would assume other manufactures do the same. So, a small FFL is at a real disadvantage since he's probably buying through a distributor or a dealer.

silverado113 06-11-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gollygee (Post 832638)
My LGS, when I order through Davidson's makes about 15% + freight. He makes more than that on guns he has in inventory.

Some manufacturers and/or distributors may give discounts based on order size or maybe on annual $$$ volume. I know that Kimber & STI have a minimum first order amount in order to become a "dealer". I would assume other manufactures do the same. So, a small FFL is at a real disadvantage since he's probably buying through a distributor or a dealer.

A few manufacturers allow us small guys to buy direct but it isn't that much of a discount either.

regload 06-13-2012 01:34 AM

I guess none of the FFL's are willing to come clean.
My late father had a FFL, and the price to him was 60% of list. That was the max he had to pay. Sometimes he got 50% off list.