Feg pa-63
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

Feg pa-63

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2015, 07:43 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 38 Times on 29 Posts

Default Feg pa-63

I was wondering what kinda information owners or past users of this firearm could share with me? Thank you
Edit: almost forgot, in 9mm Makarov

Last edited by ICleanBrassWithJager; 09-03-2015 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Specified question

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-03-2015, 07:33 PM   #2

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Well, the PA-63 is one of a family of Hungarian pistols , modeled on the Walther PP/PPK family. When the Hungarians were going to develop their own pistol in the "commie" era, they wanted a light weight gun for police and military. First one was the R-59, a 9mm Makarov, aluminum frame, which turned out to be not sturdy enough. They alloyed the aluminum with a little titanium and built the R-61, a 6 round magazine, and about the size of a PPK. It worked out well and they then built the slightly larger (4" barrel) PA-63 as their basic military/police pistol. There is a slew of similar models from the FEG factory as the cute little pistols were also built in commercial versions for FIE, KBI ( Kassner) for import into the US, and other countries. They were also built in the .380 auto, with only a barrel change required for places where that was a more popular caliber. At various times I've owned several PA-63's in both 9x18 Mak and 9x17 (.380), SMC380 and SMC918 (both PPK copies), PMK 380, AP7 (.32 auto) , APK MKII, and SMC-22 ( Which I bought at a Denali Sheriff Gun auction and arrived in an evidence box ). All are solidly built and share many parts. The SMC models generally have a beautiful deep blue slide with a black anodized aluminum frame.

I recommend you get a recoil spring tuning kit and a 11# hammer spring from gunsprings.com to tune your PA-63 .
I like the little guns, but I sold my last remaining one last week on GB.

Feg pa-63 - Semi-Auto Handguns

FEG Collection
SKS Fan

Last edited by bbertram; 09-05-2015 at 01:00 PM.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbertram View Post
Well, the PA-63 is one of a family of Hungarian pistols , modeled on the Walther PP/PPK family. When the Hungarians were going to develop their own pistol in the "commie" era, they wanted a light weight gun for police and military. First one was the R-59, a 9mm Makarov, aluminum frame, which turned out to be not sturdy enough. They alloyed the aluminum with a little titanium and built the R-61, a 6 round magazine, and about the size of a PPK. It worked out well and they then built the slightly larger (4" barrel) PA-63 as their basic military/police pistol. There is a slew of similar models from the FEG factory as the cute little pistols were also built in commercial versions for FIE, KBI ( Kassner) for import into the US, and other countries. They were also built in the .380 auto, with only a barrel change required for places where that was a more popular caliber. At various times I've owned several PA-63's in both 9x18 Mak and 9x17 (.380), SMC380 and SMC918 (both PPK copies), PMK 380, AP7 (.32 auto) , APK MKII, and SMC-22 ( Which I bought at a Denali Gun auction and arrived in an evidence box ). All are solidly built and share many parts. The SMC models generally have a beautiful deep blue slide with a black anodized aluminum frame.

I recommend you get a recoil spring tuning kit and a 11# hammer spring from gunsprings.com to tune your PA-63 .
I like the little guns, but I sold my last remaining one last week on GB.

Anything about the ownership in it besides replacing springs?

Old 09-04-2015, 11:28 AM   #4

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Yes , be careful when removing the grips. There are two pushpins , one on each side, that hold the sear in position. They tend to drop out easily and then you will notice it. Parts are available at Numrich.
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?30800-Changing-Pa-63-Springs
http://www.pmulcahy.com/pistols/hungarian_pistols.htm
Googling can be your friend on advice.
FEG Collection
SKS Fan

Old 09-04-2015, 10:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbertram View Post
Yes , be careful when removing the grips. There are two pushpins , one on each side, that hold the sear in position. They tend to drop out easily and then you will notice it.

Good tip, thanks. For future reference, google is a given option when asking for advice.

Old 10-18-2015, 02:36 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had one years ago and sold it because of the recoil. I have a lot of other guns that are more fun to shoot.