FEG PA-63 9mm Makarov
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > FEG PA-63 9mm Makarov

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2009, 09:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Default FEG PA-63 9mm Makarov

I just took this pistol in on trade for some work,I know it's Hungarian,looks kinda like a CZ or Bersa,maybe a little PPK mixed in there.It's a 9mm Makarov which I'm not familiar with.I understand it's kinda between a 380,and a 9mmLugar.If anyone has any experience with this gun or this ammo please chime in!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-09-2009, 09:51 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

FEG makes decent pistols. 9mm Makarov is a good round, more velocity and a slightly larger diameter than a .380. Depending on condition it's probably worth $200.-$250.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-10-2009, 12:55 AM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

It seems to be in good shape.I've found some ammo(18.50 per 50),so I'm going to shoot it soon.It came with two loaded clips of really old ammo that I probly won't use.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:58 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Let us know how it works for you.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-10-2009, 01:42 AM   #5

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Never owned an FEG PA-63 but I have had several maks - Russian military, Russian IMEZ model, and now a Bulgarian still packed with cosmo from a recent gunshow. I enjoy them and think they are solid pistols. No 1911 but worth the money in my eyes.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:43 AM   #6

Default Repy to 9mm Makarov

The 9mm Makarov uses a 9x18 bullet and is sometimes confused with the .380acp and the 9mm. But your pistol is not compatable with these rounds. Use only 9mm MAKAROV rounds they will be listed as such. The Makarov 9mm most comonly has a 95 gr. Some people use 380 acp ammo out of their maks because they think it is cheaper. However my brand "Brown Bear" costs about 10 bucks for a box otf fifty.

Old 04-04-2010, 03:33 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

That PA-63 is a nice little pistol. I've had two of them and had no problems with them at all. One of mine had totally blue/black and the other had a silver frame and black slide.

The 9mm Makarov round is a lot like the 9x19 luger round but it has a very rounded bullet as compared to the cone shaped slug for the 9x19.

The ammo is fairly inexpensive and the actual pistol is cheap, too. In the good old days, the pistols cost about $150-200. Dealer cost was about $125.

Quality is very good.

Flash

Old 04-04-2010, 04:36 PM   #8

use mine for my carry gun most of the time. i cant get a decent group by aiming for ****, but i can draw, point and double tap 2 shots at a target 5 yds away and get both shots touching in the bullseyein less than 2 sec. i dont need anything more than that for self defence.

i paid about $125 my cost when i got it. i got it as a beater carry piece as its alot smaller than my previous carry guns, and for $125, if something happens, drop it, get it rusty, wet, whatever, who cares? its a $125 gun?

9x18 is NOTHING like 380acp or 9x19. the bullet is NOT THE SAME DIAMETER. do not try to shoot 380 in it unless you change out our bbl to a 380 bbl.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:16 AM   #9

About a half year ago I was put on to 9x18 Makarov chambered pistols and started doing research. Last month I bought a PA-63 at a gun show for $200 out the door. The vendor had it marked $225. After picking it up I took it home and did a field strip cleaning and examination.

My daughter and I took it out a few days later and put 50rds of 95 gr. CCI Blazer FMJ through it as a test. As I had read, the DA pull was awful. SA was a little better but not great. The gun kicked pretty good and after we were done we both could feel it.

Since I knew that this was going to be the case, there was already a new set of springs on their way from Wolff springs. When they arrived I did a detailed strip and changed out the recoil, hammer, and firing pin springs. The standard recoil spring is 11lbs and was changed to 15. The hammer spring was originally a 16lb spring meant for the hard primers in Hungarian sub machine gun rounds. I chose a 11 lb spring. Trigger pull is much lighter and smoother too.

Back at the range, this time with my wife (who thinks the gun is really cute), we shot some 94gr Silver Bear FMJ. The kick was better and although I dont shoot good enough to brag, I thought it aimed naturally and I did pretty good with it. I ran 100 rds of the FMJ through it that day with no problems at all. Unfortunately, despite polishing the feed ramp lightly during cleaning, I could not get Silver Bear HP's to reliably chamber.

All and all, the gun was fun to shoot. I would carry it defensively only with FMJ at this point. The best part for me was that my wife liked it so she will be comfortable should it be needed. That's worth the $ right there. But for the cost, even with $20 springs thrown in there, this is a great gun.

Marlin 882SS
Century C-93

Old 04-08-2010, 03:55 AM   #10

Liked 2032 Times on 1118 Posts
Likes Given: 1350

I also have one. But the grips are for a right handed person. I am a lefty. It is very uncomfortable to shoot with your left hand. I only paid $125 for mine. It's pretty nice too.

If you are a hand loader you can cut down 9mm luger brass to make makarov brass. But you can not use the same bullet.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.