Feg p9r
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Feg p9r

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 980 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 983

Default Feg p9r

Well I've been watching this DA/SA 9mm pistol for about a month and finally jumped on it yesterday. Been trying to talk myself out of it but the price dropped to $299 and it had 7 magazines. Feels good in the hand, almost like a Hi-Power when you have it in single action mode.

Did the research and knew the problems but when they let me field strip it I weakened and brought her home with me. It's hardly broken in and in great shape. Nice bluing, definitely old school. One down side, only one magazine is 15 round, the other six are ten but still that's a lot of magazines. All function properly in an initial test. But I need to run some rounds down the pipe.

Anyway, it's a FEG P9R - a kind of Hi-Power/S&W Model 59 hybrid. It's my first DA/SA pistol. (I do have a DAO Taurus...)

The guy didn't want me to field strip it but it sorta fell apart in my hands this time. I don't think he thought I'd be able to get it back together and we were joking I had to buy it if it wouldn't go back together...

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 03-20-2011 at 08:19 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-20-2011, 08:50 PM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Nice!! Is it actually that big?? as it appears on my 22" monitor

People get the government they deserve.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:40 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

That's a good price and they're decent pistols. Please post up a range report when you can.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-20-2011, 11:21 PM   #4

Liked 980 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 983

Thanks guys! Yeah that picture did turn out big... I also use a 22" monitor.

I hope to try out the FEG this week. Not expecting great accuracy with the puny sights but will be happy if it's reliable. If not I'll live with it, I mainly got it because of the look and feel and have long wanted a double action pistol. I figured this was the one since it felt good in my hands, was in super mechanical condition and at a decent price. Unfortunately it doesn't work with Hi-Power magazines which would have been a deal breaker except that it came with all those magazines.

Also I won't be putting many rounds through it so hopefully it will hold up. It's an orphan so parts would be a real problem. I gave it a thorough inspection and the extractor, ejector, firing pin, barrel/crown, lugs all look good. No cracks in the slide or frame, little wear. Recoil spring is nice and stiff but I do want to find another one that's compatible. Will check against a real Hi-Power recoil spring and S&W M59.

The last two pistols before this also have been odd balls, an Argentine FM Hi-Power and Llama 45ACP. Both turned out to be solid guns and I'm hoping the same from this. If not, well she's purdy... The Llama and FEG are orphans but the FM HP at least is 100% compatible with FN/Browning Hi-Powers.

Edit: Dropping in BIG pictures of the FM Hi-Power for comparison. It is a true FN-licensed Hi-Power.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 03-22-2011 at 05:40 PM.