Favorite sub-compact semi (with-catch)
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Favorite sub-compact semi (with-catch)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2011, 04:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 4 Posts

Default Favorite sub-compact semi (with-catch)

what's you're favorite sub-compact semi you own ... That you have put more than 10,000 rounds through?

I don't want everyone getting upset about me 'calling out' their guns, so just say what you like and why.

I own handguns from S&W, Luger, Glock, and Walther, but my Glock 17 4th gen tops my list. I've put well over 10,000 rounds through it, and honestly I have not had any kind of jam since my first few hundred rounds. I can run anything through it, and I know it will go bang when I pull the trigger.

I've got some 380 pocket pistols, but I'm planning on a subcompact with a 40 or 45 caliber for cold weather carry. Because of my success and confidence with Glock, I'm considering a 27 or a 30, but wanted to know if anyone else has a subcompact that they've put a ton of rounds through with virtually no problems.

Paul Brower

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-27-2011, 05:22 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have two favorites, my XDm Compact and my Colt Defender:

The XDm has the capacity advantage but the Colt is a 45 and I likes me some big holes. Both have been absolutely reliable but I prefer a 1911. I just shoot them better and they seems to point more naturally in my hand.

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 08-27-2011, 05:54 PM   #3

How many rounds have you put through the XDm? My buddy has an XD9 ... about same gun size, right? He's had a couple of chimney stacks on his, but in all fairness, he hasn't even put 100 rounds through it yet.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:27 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I probably shot close to 750-800 rounds through it at this point with LRN, LSWC, FMJ, and JHP. No jams yet.

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 08-27-2011, 09:56 PM   #5

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Colt Defender, 2K+ rounds and passes my EDC criterion.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-27-2011, 11:10 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

My Colt Defender and my Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:37 AM   #7

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Xd40sc, but with service size mags.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 08-29-2011, 05:50 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 252 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Good luck finding too many people who own sub-compacts with 10K rounds through them. While I'm sure some are equal to the task, the vast majority aren't really designed around that level of use. And most aren't as fun as thier bigger brothers at the range, so that also limits their mileage.

My subcompact carry is a KelTec PF9 w/ 500 flawless rounds through it. I like its balance of size, weight, 7+1 capacity, and reliability. I trust it to perform when called upon. But I wouldn't necessarily trust it to survive 10,000 rounds.

If the grip & thickness of a Glock subcompact don't deter you, their smaller SC's do offer a lot to the shooter. A number of folks I know have been really happy with the G26. I think it's a good gun, but I prefer a thinner single-stack in a subcompact/summer carry.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:07 PM   #9

I decided on a Glock 27 - 4th Gen for my cold weather carry. Knowing it is built like my Glock 17 -- which I have put over 10,000 rounds through -- I feel like it will function reliably, and I can shoot it as often as I shoot my 17. I'm also quite happy with the larger caliber (.40). I picked up the 27 yesterday, and am going to the range today. Haven't decided on pocket or IWB, but wherever it goes, I'll have the Ruger on my ankle.

Regarding your comment about 'good luck finding someone with 10K rounds through a subcompact', I was never in the military or law enforcement, so I'm not sure how much those guys actually shoot, but I feel like it's my responsibility as an 'armed citizen', to have the best shooting skills I possibly can. I want to know with no doubt that if I draw my weapon, it's justified, and that I'll hit what I intend to hit. My personal goal is to be confident that if someone broke into my house and was holding a knife to my child's throat, that I could take him out without wondering if I would accidentally shoot my kid. I take all the classes and tactical courses that I can find, and maybe I will never acquire that particular skill, but I know I won't get that good if I don't shoot frequently.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:07 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 252 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 36

A lot of people have 10,000 round guns...they're just rarely subcompacts. Many subcompacts aren't designed for that level of use. And even those that are rarely get that level of reps because they're simply not as fun or as easy to be precise with.

A G26/G27 is a good example of a subcompact that should be up to the task of some really high mileage. With that said, when it comes to defense with a pistol (at home or otherwise), you'll almost certainly be better off with something bigger than a subcompact. A SC is always going to tradeoff a degree of performance for convenience. That's why my PF9 would be about the last pistol I'd reach for in a home defense situation, even if I carry it quite a bit and can shoot it adequately.