Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > FANTASTIC new pistol from Taurus!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 11:48 PM   #11
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1825 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 557

I am 2 good and 2 bad on Taurus so I am not much interested tn getting another one. For about $100 more you can buy an XD45 compact and have a much better pistol. I just bought one and love it. I am sure you could shoot it better than this old man can and I did not do too bad.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 11-03-2011, 12:51 AM   #12

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Gee that's funny. I have an XDm that isn't half the gun my Taurus is. That XDm will double fire, sometimes the slide locks open when there's still ammo in the mag, and it's about as accurate as my Raven P-25. I'll be glad to trade it for another Taurus. My Taurus is extremely accurate, it has never failed to operate correctly in 5000 rounds, it has much better ergonomics than my XDm and it cost about half of what the XDm cost new.

Before everyone gets on a "dog Taurus" rant you might want to check the Taurus board and other forums where people will explain that like any gun maker Taurus will have some problems. But on the whole they are no better or worse than many guns that cost twice as much.

I wouldn't trade my Taurus for 2 XDm's. I will trade my XDm for 2 Taurus's. Again I've put FIVE THOUSAND ROUNDS of all types of ammo through my Taurus PT145 and it has never had a single problem. Yeah it's a piece of junk alright. Send your unwanted Taurus to me. I'll see it gets the treatment it deserves. You get a lifetime warranty but that isn't good enough for some people I guess. Even if I had to send it back to the factory more than once that wouldn't be the first time I've had to do that with a gun and I'm talking guns with stellar reputations.

If you can find me a gun that works better than my PT145 has worked up until now I'll pay you $10,000 for it. But since you can't do better than perfect I don't think I have anything to worry about.

Last edited by Jeff56; 11-03-2011 at 12:53 AM.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:02 AM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff56
Gee that's funny. I have an XDm that isn't half the gun my Taurus is. That XDm will double fire, sometimes the slide locks open when there's still ammo in the mag, and it's about as accurate as my Raven P-25. I'll be glad to trade it for another Taurus. My Taurus is extremely accurate, it has never failed to operate correctly in 5000 rounds, it has much better ergonomics than my XDm and it cost about half of what the XDm cost new.

Before everyone gets on a "dog Taurus" rant you might want to check the Taurus board and other forums where people will explain that like any gun maker Taurus will have some problems. But on the whole they are no better or worse than many guns that cost twice as much.

I wouldn't trade my Taurus for 2 XDm's. I will trade my XDm for 2 Taurus's. Again I've put FIVE THOUSAND ROUNDS of all types of ammo through my Taurus PT145 and it has never had a single problem. Yeah it's a piece of junk alright. Send your unwanted Taurus to me. I'll see it gets the treatment it deserves. You get a lifetime warranty but that isn't good enough for some people I guess. Even if I had to send it back to the factory more than once that wouldn't be the first time I've had to do that with a gun and I'm talking guns with stellar reputations.

If you can find me a gun that works better than my PT145 has worked up until now I'll pay you $10,000 for it. But since you can't do better than perfect I don't think I have anything to worry about.
Ok, I have an old 92fs with almost 10k rounds through it. Not a single problem and can get a 1-2" spread @ 25 yards still.

I'll take that $10,000 in hundreds.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:28 PM   #14
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1316 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 606

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff56 View Post

Jeff,

That little "m" at the end of XDm is supposed to stand for "Match" and you paid for a match trigger and barrel when you bought it so that the gun was supposed to be MUCH more inherently accurate and easier to target shoot. If it's as bad as a Raven .25, I would get on the phone to Springfield and tell them they need to get it fixed for PUBLIC safety as well as your own! The only accidental discharge I have ever experienced was while trying to fix a jammed Raven for a friend and it discharged. Since I was following all other safety procedures, it went in a safe direction, but the .25 round was so weak, it was stopped by a 1/2" piece of sheetrock.

So get that Springfield back to the company and make them make it into a "Match" level gun, just like it is stamped!

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 11-03-2011, 01:59 PM   #15
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1825 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 557

My 92 went back twice and still did not work right. I traded it back to the dealer at a loss but he knew it was a problem gun. Either you get a good one or a bad one. My little PT22 ran for 19 years and a lot of rounds before it broke. Taurus gave me a new one. That was one of the good ones. Th 85 was also a good gun. The 22 rifle I bought was a POS. Machining and stock fit were very bad. Totally unreliable. I was stuck with it because I special ordered it. I sold it cheap to a guy who knew it had problems.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 11-03-2011, 03:22 PM   #16

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
So, did you send it back to Taurus for warranty work, or did you sell a broken gun?
Neither. Full disclosure was given, I should have wrote swapped instead of traded, I have no use for a high maintenance gun.

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 11-03-2011, 03:33 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2706 Times on 1346 Posts
Likes Given: 263

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff56 View Post

The slide locking open on XD types is typically caused by the shooters thumb bumping the slide release under recoil. It's a fairly common complaint. My XD40SC will do it, if I fail to account for it. Adjust your thumb position & I bet it stops.
If it's double firing, than you need to send it back asap or have competent gunsmith look at it. Complaining about it solves nothing.
As for accuracy, have you tested it with different brands of ammo off of a rest? My gun doesn't like Wal-mart Federal at all, the group size doubled in comparison to WWB. With reloads it likes and Winchester Ranger JHP, it is very accurate.
Before you chuck it under the bus, try getting it sorted.
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 11-04-2011, 02:45 AM   #18

In my opinion it seems like u hear more horror stories about taurua than any other brand. I am not denying other companies arent perfect but it just seems like you dont hear near as much bad about other companies as you do taurus. This thread is just a prime example. Everytime someone starts a taurus thread its usually followed with bad experiences but someone starts a thread of say springfield arms usually its all good comments

Old 11-04-2011, 05:10 AM   #19

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

It's hogwash that Taurus is worse than a Jennings or a Bryco or lots of other pistols I've seen including the Raven I own. And yes I know I need to send the XDm back to SA. I just bought it recently and I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet. And no I haven't touched the slide catch or anything else while shooting the XDm. I've been shooting for 48 years and I've never had that happen on any other gun I've owned including the aforementioned Raven. I know it's supposed to be a "match" pistol but that's marketing hype anyway. I have two friends that own XDm's and while both shoot better than my XDm, neither will shoot as accurate as my Sig P220. My XDm isn't a terrible gun as it is. It's only doubled about 3 times out of about 600 rounds and it's only had the slide catch once. Still that's way more problems than I've had out of my Taurus. I wouldn't worry a lot about carrying the XDm as a CCW piece just the way it is and it makes a fine night stand gun. I will get it fixed. I just hate sending guns back to the factory because it takes so danged long (even if it's just a week ) to get them back. And yes I've tried lots of different ammo through it. It will generally shoot about a 3"-4" group at 25 yards but IMO that isn't good. My Sig will shoot 2"-3" groups at 50 yards or I could make it do that when I practiced with it a lot. My son has had it for a long time so I don't know if I've lost my touch with that gun or not. It probably wouldn't take long to get it back though. A couple or three hundred rounds and a day in the country and it will be back on the tight group shooters list.

As for the $10 grand I said "better" than my Taurus and your PT92 hasn't quite did that just yet USMC_Richey. It's close but no cigar. I can shoot the same size groups and I've never had a problem of any kind with my PT145.

I know Taurus has sold some real junk but so has companies like S&W, Beretta, SA, Sig, Ruger, etc.. If you had seen one of those old Beretta .25's or .32's you'd wonder how in the heck they ever got that big government contract. Those were terrible guns. I shot several of them and my Raven was FAR better than they were.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:01 AM   #20

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff56
It's hogwash that Taurus is worse than a Jennings or a Bryco or lots of other pistols I've seen including the Raven I own. And yes I know I need to send the XDm back to SA. I just bought it recently and I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet. And no I haven't touched the slide catch or anything else while shooting the XDm. I've been shooting for 48 years and I've never had that happen on any other gun I've owned including the aforementioned Raven. I know it's supposed to be a "match" pistol but that's marketing hype anyway. I have two friends that own XDm's and while both shoot better than my XDm, neither will shoot as accurate as my Sig P220. My XDm isn't a terrible gun as it is. It's only doubled about 3 times out of about 600 rounds and it's only had the slide catch once. Still that's way more problems than I've had out of my Taurus. I wouldn't worry a lot about carrying the XDm as a CCW piece just the way it is and it makes a fine night stand gun. I will get it fixed. I just hate sending guns back to the factory because it takes so danged long (even if it's just a week ) to get them back. And yes I've tried lots of different ammo through it. It will generally shoot about a 3"-4" group at 25 yards but IMO that isn't good. My Sig will shoot 2"-3" groups at 50 yards or I could make it do that when I practiced with it a lot. My son has had it for a long time so I don't know if I've lost my touch with that gun or not. It probably wouldn't take long to get it back though. A couple or three hundred rounds and a day in the country and it will be back on the tight group shooters list.

As for the $10 grand I said "better" than my Taurus and your PT92 hasn't quite did that just yet USMC_Richey. It's close but no cigar. I can shoot the same size groups and I've never had a problem of any kind with my PT145.

I know Taurus has sold some real junk but so has companies like S&W, Beretta, SA, Sig, Ruger, etc.. If you had seen one of those old Beretta .25's or .32's you'd wonder how in the heck they ever got that big government contract. Those were terrible guns. I shot several of them and my Raven was FAR better than they were.
I'd watch that smartass mouth of yours Jeff. First off, the pt92 and 92fs are essentially different guns, small differences yes but different none the less. Why would I go on a rant about how Taurus sucks if I then defend a pt? The pt92 is a remake of the 92fs by Taurus, as Beretta gave them permission to reproduce them. What an original company you got there, let's just steal everyone else's ideas... Know your stuff before you tell me what I own. Second, like you even said, every company has their goods and bads, so comparing one model to another then reflecting upon the company in general is exactly what you said not to do in your first post about Taurus.

Everyone is going to defend what they like the best, it's no different from cars or sports. We simply post our opinions for others to view, not to be judged. We aren't the only few to not like Taurus, get used to it pal. You chose to like the underdog; not our problem.