Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   FANTASTIC new pistol from Taurus! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/fantastic-new-pistol-taurus-51041/)

ArizonaLawman 11-02-2011 12:44 PM

FANTASTIC new pistol from Taurus!

1 Attachment(s)
I did a class this weekend for a group of relatively new shooters. The group showed up with "the usual mix" of pistols. Most had Glocks, a couple had M&P's, one guy even had a Smith & Wesson Model 19 which is near and dear to my heart. ONE GUY showed up with a new Taurus Model PT 24/7 in .45ACP.

Over the last couple of years, I have really been giving Taurus a hard second look. I have become a total fan of their J-Frame sized revolvers, and like them BETTER than the Smith & Wesson revolvers of similar size. I regularly carry a Model 85UL in .38 as a backup or a Model 905 in 9mm as a backup, and have come to really trust them. I have bought a PT709 Slim 9mm as well, and have found it to be utterly reliable and accurate...far more so than either the Ruger LC9 or the Kahr CW9.

Anyway...I gave the Taurus PT24/7 in .45 a hard look.

Class went along and I watched the feller shooting the Taurus. It was reliable, and accurate. It was capable of far more accuracy than the shooter was capable of wringing out of it as I was to discover later.

Anyway...class came to an end, and I asked if I could give it a try. The feller gave it to me, and I ran some drills. At 15 yards...the pistol gave me hole-in-hole accuracy with soft recoil (using 230 fmj white box) with not a single hiccup. Off the bench at 25 yards...it put 5 rounds into 3" on average and with some 230gr Hydra Shok, it gave me a pair of 5-shot groups in the 2 1/2" range. The sights are big, easy to see, and give a very crisp sight picture.

I put about 100 rounds total through the pistol with no hint of trouble.

He purchased it at a local shop for $389....ONE HELLUVA bargain for a .45 with all this one has going for it.

This is a pistol I would carry and trust my life to with NO hesitation. If you're looking for a polymer pistol in .45 (9mm and 40 are also available) under $400 with a life time warranty and great ergonomics...give this one a look.

I didn't get pics (dead camera batteries) as some idiot (me) left the camera ON in my range bag...but I found a pic online.

AZL....OUT!

purehavoc 11-02-2011 04:00 PM

Was this the compact or the standard model ? I have been looking at one of these but havent pulled the trigger , was looking for some reviews
Oh and how was the trigger pull ?
Thanks
PH

762 11-02-2011 04:06 PM

i like that. i'm wary of new guns, but i may need to give it a try. it's in my price range too.

vincent 11-02-2011 04:31 PM

I dunno...got burned by a PT709, badly, what a pile. Got lucky and traded almost straight up (+100 cash) for a new LCR in 357. I've heard that Taurus has shaken things up as far as manufacturing and QC but it's going to take A LOT of convincing to get me to back on that train...my.02

Overkill0084 11-02-2011 04:32 PM

Taurus pisses me off. They some very good looking & appealing guns. I really want to think they can get it right. I just don't feel like being a guinea pig for them. I own one Taurus, an 85 UL. It works, but the fine machine work looks like they subbed it out to the local Jr. High Metal shop.
That new Tracker in .22 is very appealing, but I hate the idea of gambling on a new gun purchase. I didn't know any better with the 85, I feel like I've already pushed my luck with one Taurus product. I don't want to join the parade of horror stories.

towboater 11-02-2011 04:36 PM

I don't want a glock,. Therefor I dont want a Taurus with glock features.

USMC_Richey 11-02-2011 11:55 PM

There is a reason why Taurus handguns are cheaper. You will no that exact reason either instantly or after about 500 rounds.

The lifetime warranty is for when it breaks or stops working, but it doesn't cover dissatisfaction. It won't break, which is good, but it will continue to torture you, and wave in front of your face 4 burning $100 bills.

nccinstaller 11-03-2011 12:09 AM

I refuse to buy another taurus product and make sure that any friends of mine know what kind of pieces of craph they are when they are looking for guns. I bought a model 85 ul and it would never make it around all 5 shots without it seizing up and not being able to get the wheel to move. Tried a few different ammos than said f it and gave it to a buddy for 100 bucks. I mean really how can a company screw up revolvers so bad?

willfully armed 11-03-2011 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincent (Post 617666)
I dunno...got burned by a PT709, badly, what a pile. Got lucky and traded almost straight up (+100 cash) for a new LCR in 357. I've heard that Taurus has shaken things up as far as manufacturing and QC but it's going to take A LOT of convincing to get me to back on that train...my.02

So, did you send it back to Taurus for warranty work, or did you sell a broken gun?

TekGreg 11-03-2011 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nccinstaller
I refuse to buy another taurus product and make sure that any friends of mine know what kind of pieces of craph they are when they are looking for guns. I bought a model 85 ul and it would never make it around all 5 shots without it seizing up and not being able to get the wheel to move. Tried a few different ammos than said f it and gave it to a buddy for 100 bucks. I mean really how can a company screw up revolvers so bad?

Anyone willing to get rid of their recently purchased Taurus for a C-note please PM me and I will do everything possible to make the transaction as painless as possible.

I'll get them fixed and use them for training. :)