Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Eye candy...My new Kahr Pm9

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2009, 12:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default Eye candy...My new Kahr Pm9

Hey, all! My CCW is in the mail and my Glock 19 doesn't make the best EDC gun. I've been wearing it around the house and decided that I'll only wear during those times I'm in great big crowds of people or feel really unsafe.

So...I started looking for a good carry gun. I kept going back and forth between three firearms: the Ruger LCR, the KelTec PF9, and the Kahr PM9. They are all great carry weapons, but since my primary is 9mm, I decided on staying with that chambering. Then, I found a great deal on a PM9 Black Diamond finish, used. I put on a Crimson Trace trigger guard laser. My Glock has a CT, so I thought as many of the same training characteristics as possible between 2 firearms the better. For instance, both are "safe action" triggers, with no external safety.

I have on order a Crossbreed Minituck, a couple of different magazine holders, and I'll be going to RKBA Pocket Holsters in Camas, WA so he can customize a pocket holster for my Crimson Trace.

I don't know its history, so I'll run about 300 rounds through it this Thursday. I'll write an update on it then. I'm pretty excited. I've heard great things about this firearm and I'm hoping it lives up to them...since it has to help keep me living!

p9130020.jpg   photo-12.jpg  

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-14-2009, 12:59 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Looks good to me.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-14-2009, 03:35 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Looks like a great pistol for carry!

Old 09-15-2009, 02:26 AM   #4

Can't go wrong with a Kahr...
I'm always impressed how small & light weight Khar can make them no matter what caliber they come in. That's also some great ammo you have pictured. I have a few boxes in .38 & .380.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:53 AM   #5

Yep, the Critical Defense got a great wirte-up in the NRA magazine this month. When I fired off a box, they seemed to be...how could I describe the difference...smoother than standard 115 gr FMJ. The recoil was slighter and the whole report just seemed smoother and less jarring (not that 9mm is that jarring to begin with). Hopefully I never have to test their effectiveness while saving a life, mine or another's.

Two days and counting before range time!

My CCW came in the mail today. Yahoo!

Old 09-16-2009, 01:57 AM   #6

Envious....over....here. Congratulations!

- Mossberg 500 12G Tactical: Adjustable stock + pistol grip
- Springfield XD-45ACP, 4" Service Model

Still don't know nuthin', but I'm a-learnin!

Old 09-16-2009, 03:24 AM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Looks like a great choice. It seems like they've paid attention to the issue of small guns not coming to hand readily (Hard to get a quick grip on some of the wee weps).
I rotate my carry ammo when the mood hits me, and have shot 30-some rounds of CD FTX. It's brisk, it's accurate, and it's clean. Expansion on the piece of paper I shot it into was indeterminate, however!

Old 09-16-2009, 05:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorknoids View Post
Expansion on the piece of paper I shot it into was indeterminate, however!
You didn't get expansion through 20 microns of fibrous material? Maybe I ought to switch to Speer. I heard it will expand before it even hits its target. That's just a rumor, though. ;-)

Old 09-19-2009, 01:19 AM   #9

Default Range Report

Here we go, quick range report.

Darn fine weapon, this Kahr. It recoils no more than my much larger Glock 19. It is extremely manageable both strong hand and weak hand. The sights are dead-on and I love the "dot-the-i" system of the Kahr. I find it much better to find the front sight quickly with this system over the Glock's. In fact, I was taking the "dot-the-i" literally, placing space between the "i" and the "dot", like the English letter actually appears. But, indeed, one needs only place the dot on top of the i and things were sighting in beautifully.

The magazines are a thumb buster, for sure. I will need to purchase a loader for them. I fired 300 rounds last night through a 6-round and a 7-round magazine. You do the math. It took a lot of reloads. My thumbs were still hurting this morning. But it is not often I need to load, but at the range.

The manner of chambering a round--depressing the slide lock lever to allow the slide to pull forward--is much different from the sling-shot of Glocks. It seems that some wear will occur over time on that lever.

The take-down on the Kahr is a pain in the rear.

I had one failure to load. I got a little lazy loadiung one of the magazines and didn't shove that round all the way back.
I had 2 failures to fire. But that was on an empty chamber at the end of the magazine. I think my thumb was riding up at the key moment and was allowing the slide release to not catch the slide.

I had no other problems. Well, I do have to learn how to maintain a consistent grip during a magazine. I seem to be releasing my hands a bit on each one, forcing me to bring my thumbs back. That's a bad habit! With my larger Glock 19, I never did this. I think the smaller weapon is to blame...not me, huh?

Old 09-20-2009, 08:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
I think the smaller weapon is to blame...not me, huh?
CHLChris,

I own 2 Kahr handguns (CW40 & P380), what I have noticed using a small handgun will require you to get-in-touch with the snubbie side. The relatively long (but not very heavy) DA trigger pull, combined with the short barrel and sight radius, require that one will have to exercise proper follow-through. Given the small size of the pistol relative to one's hands, close attention to follow-through is needed.
Glad to hear you're enjoying your new Kahr.
I carry mine on a regular basises.