Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Extended Semi-auto handgun storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2011, 12:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Extended Semi-auto handgun storage

Greetings!

So I just bought a new handgun, my first, and it is a semi-auto. I have to store it while I'm away at school, in another state, since it is not allowed in the rooms.

My question:
When storing a semi-auto for an extended period of time is it better to remove the recoil spring or any other springs that are easily accessible?

Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-14-2011, 01:05 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5468 Times on 2855 Posts
Likes Given: 354

no.

if your worried about unauthorized usage get a gun lock from walmart or a sporting goods shop or gunstore

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-14-2011, 01:26 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8631 Times on 3740 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

Springs can be left as is. They do not lose their range of flexion from being left under compression- My 85 Ford pickup has had a load on the suspension springs since the day it rolled off the production line. Wipe it down lightly with a good preservative oil, store securely NOT in a gun rug or foam lined case (that attracts moisture)

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 06-14-2011, 02:02 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I was wondering the same thing. Is it ok to keep my extra mags loaded to capacity while its in the safe?

Old 06-14-2011, 06:13 AM   #5
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The springs are fine compressed or relaxed. No need to remove them. swing by the intro page and share a bit about yourself.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:26 PM   #6

Thanks for the responses.
I was simply concerned about compressing the springs for a long period of time but based on the replies I will not worry about it so much.