Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Experienced caliber help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 05:08 AM   #11
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20859 Times on 11857 Posts
Likes Given: 52397

i with JonM, check out the SA XDm in 9mm. i have the XDm in 40 and love it. now whether to go 9mm or 40? either one will get the job done if you do your part. 9mm is cheaper to shoot and practice with than the 40, and you already have one 9mm, so it would be a good choice to go that route. but you already have a 9mm and wanted a different caliber, the 40 would be a good choice also. i have pistols in both calibers, and would be hard pressed to give one or the other up. final decision, if wanting to keep lower amount of different ammo, then go the 9mm.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:11 AM   #12

Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts

I have my eyes on a .40 from FN that is similar in function to the Sig pistols. I have a Ruger SR9 because I felt that the ammo was more cost effective (practice ammo anyway) and the defensive loads available are more than ample for what they are designed to do. Perhaps if penetration is a concern then frangibles are perhaps an option? They are the loads designed to split apart when they contact hard surfaces. This means ample penetration in soft tissues without too much fear of pumping a round through a wall and hurting someone. I also believe a frangible bouncing off a breast bone splits up nicely putting a would be attacker in an intense amount of pain...

Old 02-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #13

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Since you say you have shot both & like shooting both, I'd suggest you go with the .40S&W, although I personally prefer the 9mm.

Wound channel tests in gel, that I have seen, show the wound channel of the .40 being real close to that of the .45 with the 9mm being a distant 3rd. place. Of course, that will depend on the ammo selection & it's expansion, etc. so next question would be availability of ammo.

I prefer the 9mm because I am a firm believer in practicing with my defense firearm. I have both the 9mm & .40S&W in my carry rotation. But, I don't like practicing with my .40 as much as I do with the 9mm, so I find myself leaving the .40 home more than I should. If this isn't an issue for you, get the .40.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:56 PM   #14

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Ballistic gelatin doesn't take into account clothing, bones and everything else that could be in between. That's why good shot placement is key I carry what I'm most accurate with.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Go with the 9mm. You'll shoot it more at cheaper cost and it is perfectly capable of doing the job for self defense or home defense. Practice with what you carry - if they ever let you carry in IL.