Everyone says don't get a 9mm?? - Page 51
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

Everyone says don't get a 9mm??

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 04:48 PM   #501
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDeanSr
The 9mm is not a nerf gun round as some would have you believe. A controlled pair of 9mm to the chest of a bad guy is more than enough to convince him/her of the error of their ways.
This is very true to well placed shots stop any BG on his shot. I have seen guys stop with a shot to the knee cap and one in the upper chest to well done shots with practice.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:57 AM   #502

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstarlin23
I've been looking to get a 9mm semi automatic pistol(Walther p99qa). Everyone keeps telling me not to get a 9mm instead get a 40 or 45. What do you think about this statement?
The 9mm round is a good round for a first auto pistol. Easier controlled shooting for a person who does not have much experience with a pistol. Very accurate and they get better distance than a 40 or 45. I would say get a 9 for a first auto pistol. But don't get me wrong I love both 40's and 45's. 40's have a little more of a punch than a 9 but they drop faster since it's a heavier bullet. 45's are very bada$$ and have an awesome punch to them but they're not very good distance wise. Heavier bullet. Less controlled shooting than a 9 or 40. 45's are mainly for close up action. My first auto pistol was a 9mm. A blast to shoot. Stay safe and stay Second Amendment.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:46 AM   #503

Liked 46 Times on 30 Posts

My first gun was a 9mm. Didn't shoot it too well. Someone told me to get a nine for my first pistol and I did. then I bought a .45 and shot it great. Still shoot .45 better than 9mm. It's just personal preference and skill I guess. But I still get nines because it cost an arm n leg to shoot .45 all the time. And I have a .40. Got some pop to it. Love it. But if I needed a pistol to defend myself it would def be the G21. Backup= glock 27.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:37 AM   #504
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 919 Times on 579 Posts
Likes Given: 4839

Well, I HAD a Walther P99. Just didn't like it (personal taste). However, like others have said, go someplace where you can rent one and shoot it BEFORE you buy it. Once you buy it, shoot it, and don't like it, if you try to sell it back, you'll get considerably less $$ than what you paid.

Also, going with what others have said... don't let someone TELL you that you HAVE to stay away from a certain caliber.

I know a guy (former Marine) that gave a friend of ours sh*t for getting a Walther P22 as his first gun (he's an inexperienced shooter, and wants to practice on something he'll be able to control and afford). I gave the other guy sh*t, partly for being an idiot, and also for the fact that his ONLY firearms experience is with the M4 and various machine guns (no pistols) - just to prove a point (I know, I can be an a$$ sometimes, but they are my brothers, so..).

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 03-31-2012, 02:01 PM   #505

Liked 2611 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteglock View Post
My first gun was a 9mm. Didn't shoot it too well. Someone told me to get a nine for my first pistol and I did. then I bought a .45 and shot it great. Still shoot .45 better than 9mm. It's just personal preference and skill I guess. But I still get nines because it cost an arm n leg to shoot .45 all the time. And I have a .40. Got some pop to it. Love it. But if I needed a pistol to defend myself it would def be the G21. Backup= glock 27.
I took a guy who never shot before to the range. He only shot 22LR rifles,

but he was willing to go to larger calibers on pistols. He only did so well

with the 22LR and 9mm pistols, but shot an M1911 like he'd been using

one all his life. Way too accurate for a first timer. So go figure.

It's all a matter of personal choice. FWIW, I don't feel under-gunned

with a 9mm, but I also like a 45. YMMV.

Last edited by therewolf; 04-01-2012 at 05:06 PM.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:52 PM   #506
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts

Default Not Everyone

I've owned the following handgun calibers:
9mm
.44 Mag

Now I own only two:
.22 (Ruger MK III)
9mm (Glock 26)

Nothing wrong with 9mm if you know how to shoot.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:02 PM   #507

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

9mm is a great round.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:27 PM   #508

Liked 45 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Just go get a .500 SW and get it over with!

Old 03-31-2012, 07:03 PM   #509

Quote:
Originally Posted by The5Last5Rebel View Post
The 9mm round is a good round for a first auto pistol. Easier controlled shooting for a person who does not have much experience with a pistol. Very accurate and they get better distance than a 40 or 45. I would say get a 9 for a first auto pistol. But don't get me wrong I love both 40's and 45's. 40's have a little more of a punch than a 9 but they drop faster since it's a heavier bullet. 45's are very bada$$ and have an awesome punch to them but they're not very good distance wise. Heavier bullet. Less controlled shooting than a 9 or 40. 45's are mainly for close up action. My first auto pistol was a 9mm. A blast to shoot. Stay safe and stay Second Amendment.
The component of ammunition is a consideration. Obviously not all ammo for the 9mm (or any caliber) is the same. Corbon, Hornady, etc. do well.
"Stay safe and 2nd amendment" -- I like that.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:43 PM   #510

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

That "Everyone" guy is pissing me off.
While I personally don't own a 9mm, modern ammo makes it a great choice.

Tell that "Everyone" guy to button it..

Closed Thread

Newest Threads