Everyone says don't get a 9mm?? - Page 11
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Everyone says don't get a 9mm??

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 04:47 PM   #101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf
I don't mean to stir up any controversy but I have been thinking about the story about Haji being shot four times with a 9mm and not being stopped before taking a .40 round to the head. Come on, think about it. The guy has already been shot four times by a 9mm. He had to be bleeding and his body suffering from some type of trauma/shock. At that point it probably wouldn't have taken much additional firepower to stop him. I venture to say that a .22LR round to the head might have done it. I guess Haji might have been drugged out of his mind, which is quite possible. I have no doubt the person who witnessed this event is very credible, but I am not ready to base my opinion on the 9mm on this single situation. Okay, I did a little research and there are military personnel who have had success with the 9mm. I remembered a shooting at Fairchild AFB so I researched this subject. I have included a passage from the article I referenced.

Shooting
A significant event at Fairchild occurred on June 20, 1994 when Dean Mellberg, an ex-Air Force member entered the base hospital and shot and killed five people and wounded many others. Mellberg had been discharged after failing psychological evaluations by base psychologists Maj. Thomas Brigham and Captain Alan London. At the time of the shooting, Fairchild's hospital was an ungated facility. The gunman, armed with a Chinese-made MAK-90, an AK-47 clone[2] entered the office of Brigham and London and killed both men. Mellberg continued to move through the hospital, injuring and killing several people, including 8-year-old Christin McCarron. The gunman then walked out of the building into the parking lot, where after killing Anita Lindner, was confronted by Security Policeman, Senior Airman Andy Brown. From approximately 70 yards away, Brown ordered Mellberg to drop his weapon. After Mellberg refused, from a kneeling position Brown fired four shots from his 9mm pistol, two rounds hitting the perpetrator in the head and shoulder, killing him.[3] After an investigation it was concluded that Airman Brown was justified in his actions, saving countless lives, and was awarded the Airman's Medal by President Clinton.

Personally I prefer the .45acp and I would venture to say most military personnel would like to see it come back but I do not think the 9mm is totally ineffective.
Lol. He WAS bleeding like a stuck pig

And yea, I would venture to say he was drugged up. We raided houses and found huge amounts of cocaine and Haji Meth too.....,

"Adjust your DOPE Sergeant! No! Not the pills in your pocket, idiot! That stuff that lets you hit your target Sunshine!"

"Sua Sponte"

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. General George Patton

Old 11-15-2011, 05:37 PM   #102

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlsbadRanger06 View Post
Lol. He WAS bleeding like a stuck pig

And yea, I would venture to say he was drugged up. We raided houses and found huge amounts of cocaine and Haji Meth too.....,
Under these exact same circumstances do ya suppose a single shot from the .40 would have stopped this guy? I have talked to a lot of combat veterans from a lot of different wars, including WWI, WWII, Korean Conflict, Vietnam, Desert Storm, and so on and so on. The story I remember the most came from a survivor of the Bataan death march. They all talked about some things that happen in war that defy logic. As far as the 9mm not killing a camel spider, well, how many of you have ever stepped on an earwig or other bug just to see it keep going? One of my friends and co-workers took 15, yes fifteen, rounds from an AK-47 during a single firefight in Vietnam. He was a squad leader that got pinned down in an open field when the firefight started. He tried to direct fire and they shot him every time he moved. He survived and after many surgeries and a long rehabilitative process led a pretty normal life. I am willing to bet that there are many other cases where an individual was shot by something much stronger than a 9mm multiple times and survived.

Last edited by BlueTurf; 11-15-2011 at 05:42 PM.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:09 PM   #103

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf
Under these exact same circumstances do ya suppose a single shot from the .40 would have stopped this guy? I have talked to a lot of combat veterans from a lot of different wars, including WWI, WWII, Korean Conflict, Vietnam, Desert Storm, and so on and so on. The story I remember the most came from a survivor of the Bataan death march. They all talked about some things that happen in war that defy logic. As far as the 9mm not killing a camel spider, well, how many of you have ever stepped on an earwig or other bug just to see it keep going? One of my friends and co-workers took 15, yes fifteen, rounds from an AK-47 during a single firefight in Vietnam. He was a squad leader that got pinned down in an open field when the firefight started. He tried to direct fire and they shot him every time he moved. He survived and after many surgeries and a long rehabilitative process led a pretty normal life. I am willing to bet that there are many other cases where an individual was shot by something much stronger than a 9mm multiple times and survived.
Anything is possible man..... I can't really say whether a single shot from a .40 would have done it though.....

Ive only been forced to resort to the sidearm a couple times. The other times things went differently, so I'd be a lust if I said that I was 100% of either doing the job.....

"Adjust your DOPE Sergeant! No! Not the pills in your pocket, idiot! That stuff that lets you hit your target Sunshine!"

"Sua Sponte"

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. General George Patton

Old 11-15-2011, 07:40 PM   #104
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I would have to agree with many of the others and say get the gun that is best for YOU, not everyone else. Focus on whichever gun you can shoot well. A well placed 9mm round that stops the threat is better than a .45 that misses. Now if you shoot a .45 well, then by all means go for that. As far as self-defense goes, it is your safety that will be on the line, so make the decision that will best allow you to protect yourself if God forbid you should ever need to do so.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:42 PM   #105
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

if i am wrong on this, please correct me. but in the military, isn't the sidearm a last resort weapon and used primarely at very close ranges? if so, then military application is different from civilian use of the same type weapon. for a civilian, the handgun is a primary weapon. also we as civilian can pick and choose the type and size we want or can carry. in the military, it's pretty much what they decide you will carry.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:22 PM   #106

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadamai View Post
I would have to agree with many of the others and say get the gun that is best for YOU, not everyone else. Focus on whichever gun you can shoot well. A well placed 9mm round that stops the threat is better than a .45 that misses. Now if you shoot a .45 well, then by all means go for that. As far as self-defense goes, it is your safety that will be on the line, so make the decision that will best allow you to protect yourself if God forbid you should ever need to do so.
This, my friends, makes a lot of sense. Good comment!

Old 11-15-2011, 08:33 PM   #107
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf View Post
This, my friends, makes a lot of sense. Good comment!
i agree, a common sense answer to the question.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:38 PM   #108

Liked 2493 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
if i am wrong on this, please correct me. but in the military, isn't the sidearm a last resort weapon and used primarely at very close ranges? if so, then military application is different from civilian use of the same type weapon. for a civilian, the handgun is a primary weapon. also we as civilian can pick and choose the type and size we want or can carry. in the military, it's pretty much what they decide you will carry.
Well, you can use the pistol as a primary,

I'm from the "use the pistol to fight your way to your

rifle" school...

But, I'm another of the IMO "lucky" folks who's never yet

had to mortally defend myself with anything, gun included.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:28 PM   #109

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55
Yes it is a last resort. There are some times (such as being in a crowded market) that the pistol is a better choice, as in this situation.

"Sua Sponte"

Old 11-16-2011, 05:21 PM   #110

I've heard it all about 9mm... Tons of guys (mostly older guys) don't like the round will tell you that it's not a good round and it doesn't have the stopping power as other caliber but I like it just fine I own a couple of 9mm handguns and I think that they would work just fine for just about anything with the right type of round in them.... And keep in mind that a well placed 9mm is more effective than a poor shot from a .45

Closed Thread