Everyone says don't get a 9mm??
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Everyone says don't get a 9mm??

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Everyone says don't get a 9mm??

I've been looking to get a 9mm semi automatic pistol(Walther p99qa). Everyone keeps telling me not to get a 9mm instead get a 40 or 45. What do you think about this statement?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-06-2011, 02:00 PM   #2

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstarlin23 View Post
I've been looking to get a 9mm semi automatic pistol(Walther p99qa). Everyone keeps telling me not to get a 9mm instead get a 40 or 45. What do you think about this statement?
To each his own-
I have both- NOT a 40 fan

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-06-2011, 02:02 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

9mm is a perfectly good caliber. Get what you want.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-06-2011, 02:04 PM   #4

Most forums I have been on recommend getting a 9mm. Most also recommend renting what ever guns your are interested in and shooting them. If you don't like how the feel or shoot you won't practice with them.
Dave

Old 11-06-2011, 02:04 PM   #5

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

It's what YOU shoot best, don't let people tell you what's best for you. I'm a .40, .45 guy, smaller calibers just don't feel natural to me...but that's just me...The Walther is a good choice, especially for EDC, never an issue with my pps in .40

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 11-06-2011, 02:08 PM   #6

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

Agree w/ Vincent. Shoot what feels best to you. If you are buying a gun for home protection, obviously the bigger the better but it's also what you are comfortable with. 9mm is much cheaper to target shoot. Go rent/borrow some guns and try them.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:19 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2961 Times on 1478 Posts
Likes Given: 327

Who's everyone? Is everyone an expert of some sort? My guess is that everyone is a hobbyist with strong, manly opinions. I know the cool kids are telling you to get a more suitable caliber. However, with proper ammo choices, the 9 mm will serve you just fine. If you wish, test drive some other options, but don't allow yourself to be browbeaten into something you don't want.

NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 11-06-2011, 02:30 PM   #8

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

We all know that everyone is a dumba$$. Don't listen the him/her/them. 9mm is a great round to plink or target shoot and train with, not very expensive and plentiful. There are a lot of loads that are very good as defense rounds as well. Recoil is very manageable for most people, too. I have 9mm, .357, and .45acp and don't really consider any of them as not appropriate for my use as fun guns and defense guns. Get what fits and what you like. Ignore the sheeple.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 11-06-2011, 02:34 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

my personal preference is for the 45acp but my wife likes the 9mm. if i go down in gun size i skip the 9mm and go to 380acp. i like the 380 cartridge in a lightweight bersa thunder. i feel just as comfy with my bersa as i do my 45.

its just personal preference. i may get a 9mm for myself at some point as i reload that round now since my got a xdm in 9mm.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-06-2011, 02:38 PM   #10

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Nothing wrong with a 9mm. My wife will shoot my .40 but she isnt real fond of the recoil. She would much rather shoot my 9mm . Rounds are cheaper, plentiful, and there are some great aggressive home defense rounds available for it and not to mention lesser recoil . Shoot a couple different guns and calibers and choose your weapon , don't let others choose it for you . If its not comfortable to shoot or too aggressive you won't want to shoot it . Practice makes perfection

Closed Thread