Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Ever used grease (not oil) when cleaning & lubing? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/ever-used-grease-not-oil-when-cleaning-lubing-77731/)

StainlessSteel215 12-05-2012 12:55 AM

Ever used grease (not oil) when cleaning & lubing?

Im intrigued by some of the heavier lube products out there....in grease form. Obviously there is a big difference between oil and grease. Grease stays where you put it while oil runs all over.

I pretty much stick with Hoppes 9 solvent & oil combined with Ballistol when cleaning/lubing.....but could be persuaded to try some of the grease/based lubes out there.

Anyone have experience with both and prefer one over the other?

BeyondTheBox 12-05-2012 01:01 AM

I own a gun that recommends wd40. Lol

Not same thing just Thot it was sort of on topic

Jpyle 12-05-2012 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox
I own a gun that recommends wd40. Lol

Not same thing just Thot it was sort of on topic

What gun recommends WD-40. That is not a lubricant, it is a water displacer and rust buster. Not doubting what you say, just curious.

JonM 12-05-2012 01:12 AM

grease works well in low dust environments especially in certain guns like the m1garand and m1a. i use 30w synthetic for lube needs. it doesnt breakdown under heat stays where put and is easily wiped off and replaced if it becomes contaminated by grit. i use clp on guns for storage or in non heat generating areas it works well in trigger assemblies.

i dont really like grease on my guns because it can be difficult to replace when it becomes contaminated by dirt and often breaks down under heat or time turning to gum. oil tends to just dry up and takes many cycles of inattention to gum up a firearm.

just my opinion take it for what its worth

BeyondTheBox 12-05-2012 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle (Post 1039240)

What gun recommends WD-40. That is not a lubricant, it is a water displacer and rust buster. Not doubting what you say, just curious.

I don't mind being called out, I fully endorse it in fact, thus I take no offense, I consider it intelligent to doubt everything everyone says. I'm pretty sure it's my derringer. I always read my manuals, even though they always say the same things lol. But now I'm going to have to go back and prove to myself that I'm recalling it correct.

Or could've been one of my cheapo Jimenezes.

bartwatkins 12-05-2012 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StainlessSteel215
Im intrigued by some of the heavier lube products out there....in grease form. Obviously there is a big difference between oil and grease. Grease stays where you put it while oil runs all over.

I pretty much stick with Hoppes 9 solvent & oil combined with Ballistol when cleaning/lubing.....but could be persuaded to try some of the grease/based lubes out there.

Anyone have experience with both and prefer one over the other?

I use both...
But not one or the other because they are used to do different things.
I lubricate with oil but for the slides and rails (metal parts that interact by constant side by side motion) I use light grease.
Either Enos' Slide Glide or Mil Comm TW25b.

I do this on every gun, each and every time I clean & relube after shooting.

BeyondTheBox 12-05-2012 01:53 AM

I use BraKleen and TriFlow.

KG7IL 12-05-2012 01:58 AM

After having many occurences of dirty gun, I use no grease, and very little CLP.
Life is good now.

hiwall 12-05-2012 04:03 AM

I sometimes have put special grease on the sears on certain guns. Just a little better pull.....

climate17 12-05-2012 04:05 AM

I use tetra lube and its similar to a greece.