Ear Protection - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ear Protection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum27 View Post
Am new too shooting and need to get some ear protection. Is it worth it to get the electronic muffs or are the standard $25 normal ones ok? Also do people use ear plugs with the ear muffs?

Thanks!
As long as you use one or all you mentioned-
I have a permenate ringing in both ears 24/7 from not useing anything back in my young stupid nothing can hurt me i'm too cool & tuff to use sissy ear protection days

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 01-28-2012, 02:32 PM   #12

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Hearing protection is cheap enough for you to have all kinds of options. The electronic ones work well, so do the regular over the ear muffs. Go to Home Depot, buy a box of yellow foamies, they're reusable (if you wash 'em), try out all kinds of combo's and find which one works best for you...I usually just use whatever I grab first...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 01-28-2012, 02:59 PM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Get Howard Leight ones if on a budget, they are pretty good for range use or opt for the MSR Sordin (pricey) which the audio qualities of the MSR are excellent.

With the Sordin - while in the house I can hear light footsteps and which direction its coming from very easily, can also pick up water dripping from the bathroom faucet that would be too faint to hear without, I laugh when I hear guys yelling very loud cause they can barely hear each other at the range but everyone with electronic muffs can hear every word. Especially funny when they're speaking of your gun and think you cannot hear them. LOL!

Aside from the fun benefits, both muffs do a great job blocking out the harmful decibels from the firearm's report.

Pictured below the Colt LE6920 is a MSA Sordin Supreme X:

http://www.botachtactical.com/msasosuproxe.html <<<I don't advocate botach but just providing a link to the product.

Avoid the electronic muffs that have individual volume controls for the left and right sides. That will get very annoying at the range. Also - especially if indoors double up on your ears with foam in the ears then muffs over. Its your hearing, once its gone its gone.

Last edited by goretro77; 01-28-2012 at 03:09 PM.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:49 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 216 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I use the orange ear plugs with the string which costed me less than $5 maybe? Not sure the price was. But work great and till then i always leave my ear muffs at home.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:43 PM   #15

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by okdonk View Post
I use the orange ear plugs with the string which costed me less than $5 maybe? Not sure the price was. But work great and till then i always leave my ear muffs at home.
We have those at work- Shoot, they ain't but about a buck a set & WAY better than nothing
I now carry a couple sets in my truck & range bag along with muffs

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 01-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #16

Liked 163 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 260

At the range I use foam plugs if it is not crowded, if it is crowded the I put cheap muffs over the foam plugs. I can barely hear now as it is, I can't afford to loose any more hearing.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:55 AM   #17

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum27 View Post
Any suggestions? Ideally I am looking in the $25-$35 range and would like electric if possible since I will be mostly indoor shooting and will be going with other people. Thanks in advance.
Here's a link to Amazon and these look exactly like the one's I have except mine don't have a brand name on them.

http://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Max-Profile-Electronic-Muffs/dp/B001B8ONZI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_2

They get good reviews on Amazon and are less than $30 with shipping.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson