Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Ear Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/ear-protection-56468/)

Magnum27 01-28-2012 02:29 AM

Ear Protection

Am new too shooting and need to get some ear protection. Is it worth it to get the electronic muffs or are the standard $25 normal ones ok? Also do people use ear plugs with the ear muffs?

Thanks!

dks7895 01-28-2012 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnum27 (Post 691566)
Am new too shooting and need to get some ear protection. Is it worth it to get the electronic muffs or are the standard $25 normal ones ok? Also do people use ear plugs with the ear muffs?

Thanks!

I have both. The electronic ones are great when you need to hear others and don't want to keep taking them off. The standard ones work fine too. Just depends on your needs. Plugs work too.

jmeekhof 01-28-2012 03:13 AM

I use the cheap orange foam ones. Something like 32 db rating I think is ample. Also have cheap muffs but like the plugs better.

Yunus 01-28-2012 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnum27 (Post 691566)

Thanks!

I got electronic ones for less than $25. Check out the off brands at bass pro or online, mine work great for me.

Wearing both will provide better protection than just one but it's more to think about and some/many people don't think it's needed, that's a personal choice.

fireguy 01-28-2012 04:30 AM

Take it from someone who has constant ringing in the ears, wear ear protection every time you shoot or are around shooting! I should have worn protection when bird shooting and target shooting when I was young and going through lots of rounds. I would be in much better shape than I am today. I now wear plugs even when mowing the lawn. The soft ear plugs do a very good job of lowering the sound level reaching the ear, but I also wear my muffs when shooting high power rifles to make in mo betta. Your mileage might vary, but just sayin'.

Magnum27 01-28-2012 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yunus

I got electronic ones for less than $25. Check out the off brands at bass pro or online, mine work great for me.

Wearing both will provide better protection than just one but it's more to think about and some/many people don't think it's needed, that's a personal choice.

Any suggestions? Ideally I am looking in the $25-$35 range and would like electric if possible since I will be mostly indoor shooting and will be going with other people. Thanks in advance.

redfox 01-28-2012 09:56 AM

I Use electric just to make it easier to hear while talking. Either work fine. My wife will use ear plugs in addition. If you have a harbor freight store they usually have the electric for 15.

pabyanghao 01-28-2012 10:12 AM

it just depends on how would you use it. i go for standard ones because that's what i am using now.

PH

BlueTurf 01-28-2012 01:50 PM

I recently tried the electronic muffs for the first time and I am glad I did. They work very well and I would highly recommend their use. Above all, use some form of hearing protection when shooting.

partdeux 01-28-2012 02:06 PM

As someone a bit seasoned and suffering some hearing loss, I want to stop it from getting any worse...

If you need the electronic ones, be advised that most are very limited in their noise control. When shooting anything bigger (9mm+), I try and double up with foam too. If you don't need the electronic ones, then by all means go with the higher db rated passive muffs. I tried a pair of 32db at an indoor range and was really impressed with how quiet the range was :)

I have peltor 6 and they are very limited... and battery changing is tough. I also have the Howard Leight R-01526, which are a little better, but instead of cutting off the amplified sound like the peltors, they limit the amplified sound... both have their advantages. The HL's also have an input jack, which will be great for cutting the lawn :)