Ear Protection? - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ear Protection?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2010, 06:11 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
I have taken the muffs off with a few handgun calibers,and man are handguns loud.The .22lr is somewhat tolerable,and a couple of shots with a .38 isn't too bad,but don't do it with a .357 or anything like that!you will be sorry when your ear is numb 3 hours later.
Yeah it's 'compulsory' to wear ear protection at my range, but for some strange reason no one uses it shooting metallic silhouette .22

Electronic muffs all the way for me - due to going deaf at age 6 with an late-detected ear infection, after the operation I was left with 65-yr old's hearing the rest of my life. Electronic muffs are awesome - like a hearing aid for normal speech (can even hear the RO! lol) but block out gunshots. Brilliant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
This is kinda cool...a decibel thermometer.

Cool. Hey that's above jet-level people!

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 07-09-2010, 06:58 AM   #52

you can probably get away with it a few times... but i dont recommend it... in my early days, i used to shoot a bit, had a really loud stereo system and go to concerts without protection thinking... "meh sure i cant hear for a few days, but it clears up!" now 32 years of age, i can tell i dont hear as great... im not deaf by any means, i can hear people on the phone normally.... but put me in a room with no noise whatsoever.... and i hear a ringing constantly. go on amazon.com or something your comfortable with, and buy even a $20 set of good ear plugs and keep em for years and years.... overall it is WELL worth it!

Last edited by JuggNuttz; 07-09-2010 at 07:01 AM.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:09 PM   #53

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

hearing loss can not be reversed, period. every loud noise reduces your hearing perminately, as in forever.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:39 PM   #54

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

What kind of maintenance is recommended for ear muffs? Are the foam ear pads in need of replacement often? I've seen them ranging in price from less than $10 to over $100, so I'm a little confused. Needless to say I have always used ear plugs, usually the foam type. Well, always meaning since I've been old enough to know I should use something.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:45 PM   #55

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I can only imagine (because I shoot with ear plugs AND muffs) the intensity to a critical situation in self defense mode that is added by a handgun round, say, in a hallway or something. I'm assuming the adrenaline will cover some of that. But the muzzle flash PLUS the sound of 2 or 3 shots PLUS "Why is there a scary guy in my home coming at me?"

I hope to never find out.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 07-10-2010, 10:57 PM   #56

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDVague View Post
What kind of maintenance is recommended for ear muffs? Are the foam ear pads in need of replacement often? I've seen them ranging in price from less than $10 to over $100, so I'm a little confused. Needless to say I have always used ear plugs, usually the foam type. Well, always meaning since I've been old enough to know I should use something.
I have never had to nor have I heard of anyone having to replace the foam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
I can only imagine (because I shoot with ear plugs AND muffs) the intensity to a critical situation in self defense mode that is added by a handgun round, say, in a hallway or something. I'm assuming the adrenaline will cover some of that. But the muzzle flash PLUS the sound of 2 or 3 shots PLUS "Why is there a scary guy in my home coming at me?"

I hope to never find out.
Ive shot unprotected in indoor ranges and fully regret it.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:47 AM   #57

Simple better to be safe than sorry.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:36 AM   #58
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts

I don't wear ear protection while hunting, other than that, all other shooting I do I use yellow foam plugs I grab from work. What are your guys opinions on the Game Ear hearing protection I know they're pricey, that would be your best bet for overall protection that deadens the shot and you can still hear people talk with them on.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:58 AM   #59

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Do it or go def. How hard is that to get out of this whole thread?

EVEN ONE SHOT will affect your hearing FOREVER meaning TILL THE DAY YOU DIE.

Get the game ears get the westone hunter molds where you can hear people talk but they close off when you shoot. They make plugs and muffs that do that stuff.

For my kids I make them wear plugs and muffs. I have to yell but that is ok I am used to it. I would rather go horse then have them lose hearing.

Old 08-16-2010, 04:37 PM   #60

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Do it or go def. How hard is that to get out of this whole thread?

EVEN ONE SHOT will affect your hearing FOREVER meaning TILL THE DAY YOU DIE.

Get the game ears get the westone hunter molds where you can hear people talk but they close off when you shoot. They make plugs and muffs that do that stuff.

For my kids I make them wear plugs and muffs. I have to yell but that is ok I am used to it. I would rather go horse then have them lose hearing.
Im alread havnig my 2 y/o son wear ear pro around the house to get him used to it.