Ear Protection? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ear Protection?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2010, 05:13 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 764 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejewels View Post
So this may be a stupid / newbie question, but I'm curious. I've shot all calibers a few times, and not once ever have I shot without ear protection! I'm tempted to take the ears off just to see. Are there any calibers tolerable, or that won't be too annoying? Does anyone ever shoot WITHOUT ears?
Have you been tempted to play football without a cup just to feel what it's like to get kicked in the nads?

Hearing loss can occur gradually at sustained exposures in excess of 85db, most gunshots are in excess of 140db and can cause instantaneous, permanent damage; why risk it? Use the ears unless it's a life or death situation. JMHO.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 05-19-2010, 05:21 PM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't want to do it, I'm just curious how loud they really are, and if it is "instant deafness" or anything...

Old 05-19-2010, 05:39 PM   #23
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2232 Times on 1205 Posts
Likes Given: 803

Quote:
I don't want to do it, I'm just curious how loud they really are, and if it is "instant deafness" or anything...
Put the muzzle next to your ear, and it's instant deafness.

Otherwise, one time will really ring your bell, but you'll recover.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:02 PM   #24

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
About 10 years ago on a PA doe hunt, shot 5 times with my muzzle braked 7mm STW that day.
My ears were ringing loudly until the last shot, then they stopped.
They have had a dull ringing constantly since that day. Like I hear crickets chirping all year long.
Hard to hear an alarm clock. Conversation with someone in a crowded bar or restaurant? Forget about it, unless I can kinda read their lips. I'm 33yo.
Muzzled Braked Rifles are the worst, pistols a close second.
If the time comes you HAVE to shoot without hearing protection(Self Defense situation) You probably wont suffer any ill effects, but why risk your hearing in the meantime.
My .02............
What??

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 05-19-2010, 06:14 PM   #25

Liked 764 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 462

Quote:
This is kinda cool...a decibel thermometer.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 05-19-2010, 06:28 PM   #26

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Put the muzzle next to your ear, and it's instant deafness.

Otherwise, one time will really ring your bell, but you'll recover.
What are you an idiot?

1 shot will damage your hearing you may not notice it but it is forever damaged. I have spend 25 years of my life dealing this tinnitus. I have done plenty of research on the subject and talked to at lest 30 different doctors about it. All of them and the books agree. exposure to loud noises like gunshots damage instantly and for ever.

Sorry I can't stand by and watch you and other give out bad info on this. Please stop talking out your fifth point of contact.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:46 PM   #27

No it is not instant deafness but shooting without protection is dumb. While I was in the army i forgot to put my plugs in once when gunning on an m2 . needless to say I definately knew something was missing quick fast and in a hurry.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:25 PM   #28
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2232 Times on 1205 Posts
Likes Given: 803

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
What are you an idiot?

1 shot will damage your hearing you may not notice it but it is forever damaged. I have spend 25 years of my life dealing this tinnitus. I have done plenty of research on the subject and talked to at lest 30 different doctors about it. All of them and the books agree. exposure to loud noises like gunshots damage instantly and for ever.

Sorry I can't stand by and watch you and other give out bad info on this. Please stop talking out your fifth point of contact.
No I can assure you I am not an idiot. And in no way am I encouraging someone to go shooting without ear protection.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:37 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
What are you an idiot?

Ahhh, Tango, Mr. Subtle... but right on.

Just because the pain stops and the ringing goes away, does not mean you've recovered. I was a range instructor in the service full time for three years, 12 hours a day, 363 days a year, 32 points on the line, on a range with concrete walls and a concrete floor and a plywood roof. We had mandatory hearing tests every month and they never detected any problems. I wore muffs every single day.

Now, almost ten years later I have quite a few tones I can't hear, at least not clearly enough to not have to say "What"? all the time. Nothing else in my life would have caused this problem besides gunfire. Again just because it doesn't hurt, doesn't mean it's not doing damage. I am 34 and suspect that by fifty I will have serious hearing problems. Friggin' great...

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 05-19-2010, 08:06 PM   #30

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok, I think I get the point Now, for the next question... Are y'all wearing those big ol muffs, or plugs? Are one better than the other?