Ear Protection? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

Ear Protection?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2010, 10:59 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejewels View Post
So this may be a stupid / newbie question, but I'm curious. I've shot all calibers a few times, and not once ever have I shot without ear protection! I'm tempted to take the ears off just to see. Are there any calibers tolerable, or that won't be too annoying? Does anyone ever shoot WITHOUT ears?
Used to do it as a kid before I knew better. I shot everything from a 22lr pistol to a 45-70 Marlin lever gun with out ears on.

Now I am paying for it with 30 to 40% hearing loss and a ringing in my ears that sometimes drives me batty.....

NEVER EVER shoot with out eyes or ears.

1 shot from any gun even a 22lr pistol will damage your hearing no ifs ands or buts about it. What happens is because the noise is so loud and it gets transmitted through the outer ear to the middle ear it causes the bones to move to quickly this causes a sharp spike in the pressure of the cochlear part of the ear. This part is fluid filled and has tiny microscopic nerve endings in it that are smaller than a hair when the sharp wave comes through it breaks the ends of the nerves off and thus causes the ringing in your ears.

so again DO NOT EVER shoot with out hearing protection.

Last edited by cpttango30; 05-19-2010 at 11:04 AM.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:39 AM   #12
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2477 Times on 1328 Posts
Likes Given: 879

I'll shoot a .22 rifle w/o ear protection, but nothing else. The long barrel keeps the source far enough away to be manageable. I will not shoot my .22 pistol w/o ears however. I was out in the desert years ago and shot my .40 w/ nothing on, and decided that was the last time I would do that. You've only got one set of ears, and they are fairly easily damaged. Protect them.

If you do decide to test it out, never, Never, NEVER, NEVER do it at an enclosed range!

Last edited by ScottA; 05-19-2010 at 11:44 AM.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:54 AM   #13
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 10997 Times on 4764 Posts
Likes Given: 1806

Another old phart here- have shot everything from a .17 to a 106 mm recoiless rifle without hearing protection.

And you will spend a lot of time saying "What?".

I now wear foam plugs under my muffs when shooting. I will never regain what I lost. If you are smart, you will wear eyes and ears whenever you shoot. The only exception to that would be a SUPPRESSED .22

Old 05-19-2010, 01:29 PM   #14

Liked 97 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The only time that I've gone without in the last 30 years is while hunting or in an emergency situation. Being an old country boy (emphasis on the old Ear Protection? - Semi-Auto Handgunspart) I grew up shooting without hearing protection. And we certainly didn't have it in combat. Now there are certain sound ranges where I find it hard to hear. Ear Protection? - Semi-Auto Handguns

Old 05-19-2010, 01:40 PM   #15

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Hearing loss is no fun. I was in a group of guys yesterday, and one was rather soft spoken. I could not understand a lot of what he said. Everyone else seemed to hear him just fine. At home with the SO if I set the volume of the TV she says it's too loud. It is loud with all the effect noses, but when it's just talking I have trouble understanding. If she sets the volume I catch about half of what is being said.

Don't fvck with your ears!!!

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 05-19-2010, 01:45 PM   #16

Liked 97 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The only time I don't wear hearing protection is when hunting or in a self defense situation. Being an old country boy (emphasis on the old Ear Protection? - Semi-Auto Handguns part), I grew up shooting without hearing protection. And we certainly didn't have them in combat. Now there are certain frequencies of sound that I can't hear along with the ones that I don't want to.Ear Protection? - Semi-Auto Handguns

Old 05-19-2010, 02:28 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've shot a 22 rifle without ears, thats about it... it was outdoors so it wasn't that loud. I've also played in rock bands growing up... so I've already lost a little. I just find it hard to believe that a few shots of a .40 or something will make you permanently lose hearing...

for calibers, is it the smaller the caliber the less the noise? So a 9mm would not be as loud as a .44 mag or .45?

Old 05-19-2010, 02:29 PM   #18

Liked 231 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I have taken the muffs off with a few handgun calibers,and man are handguns loud.The .22lr is somewhat tolerable,and a couple of shots with a .38 isn't too bad,but don't do it with a .357 or anything like that!you will be sorry when your ear is numb 3 hours later.
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 05-19-2010, 03:47 PM   #19
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 702 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Hearing loss runs in my family, so I use ear plugs. I have shot all my firearms without them though.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:58 PM   #20
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3531 Times on 2026 Posts
Likes Given: 1558

Even with the 22lr, hearing loss can still happen. Why do you want to expose yourself to such danger? I would not shoot without eye protection to see what it is like, nor hearing protection. These are all the eyes and ears you are ever going to get. Protect them.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)