Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > EAA Witness---any good ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2010, 12:29 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Well, I'm not going to buy one! Sheesh!!

Old 05-12-2010, 06:09 AM   #12

Likes Given: 6

Default Eaa let down

I am new to firearmstalk so please bare with me. I have done my share of buying different handguns and rifles. Haven't always been able to try them out before I buy. Well here it comes.. I am left handed. It is a little harder for lefties to really even fit most handguns comfortably. I purchased a EAA Witness full size in 45. Loved the way it shot. loved the way it fit. I tend to fire handguns rapidly and use lots of ammo when I first get one. To test them out. It worked beautifully. I also purchased some left hand mausers. Had them customized to calibers and stocks. My gunsmith lost one of my bolts to one of my rifles by a stock maker. EAA imports these mausers now. They even imported a left hand model for an article for a "major" left hand gun writer. We tried to order a left hand bolt from EAA and they would not help us at all. The overseas manufacturer stated if EAA imported it they would send it. As a matter of fact I was treated very rude over the phone with customer support at EAA. The sales department was and is very good. Go figure. At the time I sold all of my EAA handguns. I won't buy an EAA product if I can help it again. I believe Witness pistols are very good and affordable but if you ever have a problem or have to deal with the company GOOD LUCK.
Just my experience and opinion.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:52 PM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Got the compact .45 in wonder finish and it shoots like a dream..

Old 12-05-2010, 07:30 PM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Last edited by Eric0424; 12-07-2010 at 01:35 AM.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:57 AM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Never shot one. Like feel of them and heard alot of good about them. Went to the gun store to buy one and came home with a Ruger SR40.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:54 AM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

A friend of mine bought a new polymer witness in 9mm back in 2006, after 50 rounds of Winchester white box he was going to let the range owner give it a cleaning. When it was field stripped a piece of metal fell out. (first picture below) It was the slide rail off the left side of the front frame insert. After a few "polite" conversion with eaa between the two of us, he just decided to order the part from eaa and I installed it for him. It was less than half the price of sending the gun to them and they were not going to send out a shipping label.

When I removed the front insert I found what you see below.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:00 AM   #17

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I bought one and love it.

The 10 mm are the only one's having problems.

I bought a 9mm.

Their customer service has a bad reputation from what I hear, but I've never needed it .

Old 12-21-2010, 07:48 AM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Davis View Post
I bought one and love it.

The 10 mm are the only one's having problems.

I bought a 9mm.

Their customer service has a bad reputation from what I hear, but I've never needed it .

It's not just the 10mm, the one posted above is a 9mm, this one from Brian's Forums is a Witness Elite Match in 9 mm, there are reports of the 45ACP and the 40 S&W too.

The only witness chambering I haven't heard or read about cracking is the 38-Super. Here's another 45ACP that crakced back in June. This guy was looking for a carry pistol and decided to try a new CZ Rami, but he had problems with it so he returned it. Then bought the witness compact in 45 just to return it with a cracked slide after very few rounds and only 3 range visits. He didn't specify a round count though.

Most seem to think it's just the smaller/slimmer new style slides and I can buy that, or the recoil springs being too light. This is also a reasonable theory in my opinion. What ever the reason, it would be nice if tanfoglio could get it fixed. If I or anyone I know were to purchase one now, I would suggest buying a new heavier recoil spring and maybe a recoil buffer before shooting it. It would be some cheap insurance and could help avoid the cracking problem.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:53 PM   #19

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've seen most of those posts, but decided it was a very small sample and mostly 10 mm.

Your advise is sound on the spring, and I'll sure consider it.

My gunsmith (doesn't sell guns) agrees with me, so I decided to take the chance.

Who knows maybe he was looking for more work

Last edited by Don Davis; 12-21-2010 at 05:04 PM.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:57 PM   #20

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Customer service? What is this customer service you speak of? Oh yeah,I shoot an H&K. I don't need it.......... Sorry,couldn't help my self.

The rest of the world gets it,why can't we?
"The United States can survive a Barack Obama,who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president".
Out of the Czech Republic

Psalm 138:7