Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > EAA Witness in 9mm.....worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 09:07 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontierTCB View Post
Glad you like it. Do you happen to know if they produce them in .40?
Whats the big deal with .40? I'm just curious why not 9mm or .45? How is .40 better?

Old 01-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1486 Times on 1005 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Would you buy a jennings? The EAA witnesses I have seen were made of pot metal and had poor fit and finish. Including such nasties as chunks of slag in the rail. Unless EAA has really improved the witness a Jennings is just as good as a any pistol. A pot metal pistol is a pot metal pistol. Pot metal is OK for 22 LR and other low pressure cartridges but not self defense calibers.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 01-25-2013 at 09:37 PM.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2687 Times on 1341 Posts
Likes Given: 261

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Would you buy a jennings? The EAA witnesses I have seen were made of pot metal and had poor fit and finish. Including such nasties as chunks of slag in the rail. Unless EAA has really improved the witness a Jennings is just as good as a any pistol. A pot metal pistol is a pot metal pistol. Pot metal is OK for 22 LR and other low pressure cartridges but not self defense calibers.

Pot metal my pasty white posterior. No pot metal here. The slides have actually developed a reputation for the steel being too hard in some instances. I don't know what you thought you saw, but these things are not pot metal. Slag? No. Finish issues? yeah, a couple minor burs on the interior, but then my CZ wasn't perfect either. You want flawless? You'd best be spending double or more what you will for a Witness. My .45 acp Witness Elite Match has been excellent in all respects. Accuracy is on par with my Springfield Trophy Match.
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Last edited by Overkill0084; 01-27-2013 at 02:26 PM.
People Like This 
Old 01-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1486 Times on 1005 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post

Pot metal my pasty white posterior. No pot metal here. The slides have actually developed a reputation for the steel being too hard in some instances. I don't know what you thought you saw, but these things are not pot metal. Slag? No. Finish issues? yeah, a couple minor burs on the interior, but then my CZ wasn't perfect either. You want flawless? You'd best be spending double or more what you will for a Witness. My .45 acp Witness Elite Match has been excellent in all respects. Accuracy is on par with my Springfield Trophy Match.
I am reporting what I saw. I am happy you are satisfied with your gun. The EAA pistols I have seen are on par with a Hi Point. I have to admit I haven't looked closely because I have no interest in owning an EAA pistol. There are many weapons with a great reputation and proper fit and finish for the same price or less.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #25

Liked 216 Times on 143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sniper

Whats the big deal with .40? I'm just curious why not 9mm or .45? How is .40 better?
Not sure .40 is any "better" than 9 or .45 it's just what I prefer in my semi autos. I just try to stay with a handful of calibers in handguns and long guns so I can use the same ammo in several different weapons. I have a lot of $$$ in .40 boxes setting in my gun room and 0 9mm so buying a 9 is not something I'm really interested in.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:40 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontierTCB View Post
Not sure .40 is any "better" than 9 or .45 it's just what I prefer in my semi autos. I just try to stay with a handful of calibers in handguns and long guns so I can use the same ammo in several different weapons. I have a lot of $$$ in .40 boxes setting in my gun room and 0 9mm so buying a 9 is not something I'm really interested in.
FWIW, the Witness polymer (all sizes) is available in 9 mm, .40 S&W, 10mm & .45 ACP.
The Witness Steel adds .38 super to that list.
A .40 Witness Steel should be a pretty mild mannered pistol

Also note that there are Conversion Kits available for them.
http://www.eaacorp.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=2_4&sort=2a&page=1
One of these days I'm going to get a 10 mm setup.
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 01-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteel215 View Post
Not sure about that. I'm also have a VERY hard time finding extra mags for this model....
Finding places that list them is easy. Finding them is stock...not so much. Of course with the big panic going on, it's even worse. When I bought mine, Brownells stocked them (MecGars) when many others were out.
NRA Life Member

Milton Friedman

Old 01-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #28

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Great guns at a great price. I've had a Tactical II (It is essentially a full-size steel frame with a compact slide) in .40 S&W for at least five years and it's one of the few 40's I actually enjoy shooting! FYI, the main differences between this gun and the standard metal Witness is that the barrel and slide are ported plus it has the EAA "Wonder Finish, which is similar to the Teniffer finish used by GLOCK. Also, the sights are more like an aftermarket Novak-type target sight, like those on the Tanfoglio 1911. There were only 200 of these guns made in .40 S&W as per EAA and mine is #192.

FWIW, as others have mentioned, they are a CZ clone. I own several CZ's as well as the Witness and the TACII is easily as good if not better than any of them. One of the photo's here shows the original factory grips and the other is with walnut aftermarkets I got from EAA. I personally prefer the wood.

taciia.jpg   taciib.jpg  

Last edited by rachilders; 01-27-2013 at 09:03 PM.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:07 PM   #29

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Great posts guys, glad there is some EAA witness love in here. I am new to the CZ platform but so far I really am impressed with this pistol. Range report and pics to come soon

Old 01-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #30

Liked 216 Times on 143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084

FWIW, the Witness polymer (all sizes) is available in 9 mm, .40 S&W, 10mm & .45 ACP.
The Witness Steel adds .38 super to that list.
A .40 Witness Steel should be a pretty mild mannered pistol

Also note that there are Conversion Kits available for them.
http://www.eaacorp.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=2_4&sort=2a&page=1
One of these days I'm going to get a 10 mm setup.
Thanks for the info.