This dude is at it again - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > This dude is at it again

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 02:55 AM   #71
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1961 Times on 1158 Posts
Likes Given: 930

Define 'Common Sense' please!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 01-10-2014, 03:09 AM   #72
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1579 Times on 1077 Posts
Likes Given: 546

Full Definition of COMMON SENSE
sound and prudent judgment based on a simple perception of the situation or facts

Examples of COMMON SENSE

You really should go to see a doctor if your leg hurts that much. It's just common sense!
Obey the laws and use common sense when operating your boat.
She's very smart but she doesn't have a lot of common sense.
Only use ammunition that your gun is designed to fire. The caliber/gauge is marked on the barrel, it's common sense.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-10-2014, 03:17 AM   #73

Liked 112 Times on 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Full Definition of COMMON SENSE
sound and prudent judgment based on a simple perception of the situation or facts

Examples of COMMON SENSE

Only use ammunition that your gun is designed to fire. The caliber/gauge is marked on the barrel, it's common sense.

Exactly!!!!

Old 01-10-2014, 09:47 AM   #74

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Examples of COMMON SENSE

You really should go to see a doctor if your leg hurts that much. It's just common sense!
That's a great example of why common sense has more to do with your background than "common sense." There are many cultures or religions that would never consider going to a Dr. For a cajun it's common sense that you don't take a baby into a cemetery. But that makes no sense to the rest of us. Some people without a gun background might think a 45 exceeds the rating of a 40 bullet so it's fine.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3

Old 01-10-2014, 03:33 PM   #75
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Many years ago I came up with a common sense definition of common sense!
"Common sense is the WISE use of KNOWLEDGE!"
As you can see there are two components to common sense.
First and most important is wisdom! This comes directly from life experience gained by being involved in reality , not books, computers, and games.
The second component is knowledge. This pertains to 'facts' learned from both formal and informal sources.
So if you use good judgement based on wisdom to apply the knowledge you have acquired to any given set of circumstances you are using common sense.
Just common sense!!!
Here is the problem we face today. We have pushed the knowledge part of this way to far and the wisdom part has fallen WAY behind as we become more idealistic and less realistic in our life style.
There are MANY people today who go from birth to PHD (through college) with little to no real life experience and then they are considered MORE QUALIFIED than many people who have much more commonsense then they do just because they do not have a piece of paper (degree) to show 'how smart they are' . The move from the 'rural' life style to the "urban' life style is the main contributor to this problem.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!

Last edited by JimRau; 01-10-2014 at 03:38 PM.
People Like This 
Old 01-17-2014, 02:18 PM   #76

Liked 112 Times on 84 Posts

Here you go, a guy who shoots a .223 through a glock23. At least he's not holding the gun
http://youtu.be/lkJuu7rwNEc

Old 01-17-2014, 04:19 PM   #77

Liked 388 Times on 224 Posts

Not safe at all. Im not an armorer, but I still know enough to not shoot different ammo than the gun was designed for. Some of you, who are smarter than me with ballistics, should comment on this guy's video and explain what you've said here about how bad it is. Most of the comments are praising him and saying things like "wow cool I didn't know you could do that!".

Old 01-17-2014, 04:21 PM   #78

Liked 388 Times on 224 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
Many years ago I came up with a common sense definition of common sense!
"Common sense is the WISE use of KNOWLEDGE!"
As you can see there are two components to common sense.
First and most important is wisdom! This comes directly from life experience gained by being involved in reality , not books, computers, and games.
The second component is knowledge. This pertains to 'facts' learned from both formal and informal sources.
So if you use good judgement based on wisdom to apply the knowledge you have acquired to any given set of circumstances you are using common sense.
Just common sense!!!
Here is the problem we face today. We have pushed the knowledge part of this way to far and the wisdom part has fallen WAY behind as we become more idealistic and less realistic in our life style.
There are MANY people today who go from birth to PHD (through college) with little to no real life experience and then they are considered MORE QUALIFIED than many people who have much more commonsense then they do just because they do not have a piece of paper (degree) to show 'how smart they are' . The move from the 'rural' life style to the "urban' life style is the main contributor to this problem.
I've had this same argument with people many times. My work is a prime example. Kids come straight from engineering school to a construction site. No hands on time in the field and no "real world" knowledge of problem solving on site. They just know what they read in a book but have no idea how to practically apply it. Plus, if theyve never been on a construction site, they are scared to get their boots dirty, so they fail to see problems that they need to get dirty to see.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:50 PM   #79
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernandoTheCommando View Post
I've had this same argument with people many times. My work is a prime example. Kids come straight from engineering school to a construction site. No hands on time in the field and no "real world" knowledge of problem solving on site. They just know what they read in a book but have no idea how to practically apply it. Plus, if theyve never been on a construction site, they are scared to get their boots dirty, so they fail to see problems that they need to get dirty to see.
I have seen this SO MANY TIMES I can't count them in ALL walks of life. This is why I came up with the definition of Common Sense I did. I have no good solution to this problem.
The only solution I can see changing this, and it is UGLY, is an international major catastrophe!!! This will FORCE ALL of us to come back to the basics of survival. (The first levels of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs)

Old 01-19-2014, 02:54 PM   #80
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
I have seen this SO MANY TIMES I can't count them in ALL walks of life. This is why I came up with the definition of Common Sense I did. I have no good solution to this problem.
The only solution I can see changing this, and it is UGLY, is an international major catastrophe!!! This will FORCE ALL of us to come back to the basics of survival. (The first levels of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs)
the solution is very simple Jim. remove the warning labels from everything and let nature run it's course! a person with common sense won't need a label that says something is hot, he has enough sense to know it.