This dude is at it again - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > This dude is at it again

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2014, 01:18 PM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1863 Times on 1092 Posts
Likes Given: 885

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i'm sorry, but i see a huge problem is shooting rounds in something they were not designed for. it sends the wrong message to those who don't know any better. i for one am very vocal about such things.
Yes you are.
All I am doing is looking at this specific case from a logical open mined scientific prospective and I find nothing unsafe in what this person did.
I do not recommend anyone, especially those of limited knowledge of internal ballistics, 'experiment' like this.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 01-08-2014, 04:44 PM   #42
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2776 Times on 1608 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

There is this thing called "fire forming" of brass, but again, safety should be considered.

http://gunsmagazine.com/fireforming-brass/

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-08-2014, 04:58 PM   #43
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2691 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
Yes you are.
All I am doing is looking at this specific case from a logical open mined scientific prospective and I find nothing unsafe in what this person did.
I do not recommend anyone, especially those of limited knowledge of internal ballistics, 'experiment' like this.
The main issue is headspace. The extractor is being forced to act as a head spacing device. Because the bore is so much larger than the bullet, it is unlikely to cause an over pressure problem, but it is VERY likely to damage the extractor. Will it blow up in his face? Probably not. Will it damage the gun? Almost assuredly

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 01-08-2014, 05:04 PM   #44

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
The main issue is headspace. The extractor is being forced to act as a head spacing device. Because the bore is so much larger than the bullet, it is unlikely to cause an over pressure problem, but it is VERY likely to damage the extractor. Will it blow up in his face? Probably not. Will it damage the gun? Almost assuredly
I'm not understanding this. The bore is much larger than the bullet but the chamber is the correct size for the brass. Since the extractor is not inside the chamber I don't see how it's being stressed?

Sent from my Samsung Note 3

Old 01-08-2014, 05:14 PM   #45
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2691 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

When the firing pin hits the primer, the case moves forward until the extractor stops it. The primer moves forward until the anvil stops against the primer pocket. The firing pin then can crush the cup against the anvil causing the priming compound to detonate. The force of the detonation causes the primer to move to the rear and partially out of the primer pocket. As the powder charge burns, it builds pressure until the bullet is forced out of the case. The equal and opposite reaction thing happens and the case is slammed back against the breach face, pressing the primer back into the primer pocket. Because the case is not contained by the chamber, it bounces back against the extractor hook.

All of this is a violent action under proper circumstances. The additional strains put on the extractor will eventually cause a failure. 1st round - 500th round? Impossible to say.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 01-08-2014, 05:46 PM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1496 Times on 1013 Posts
Likes Given: 520

It's real simple, all gun owners are ambassadors of the use of firearms. If we have people on YouTube doing things that are not recommended by gun manufacturers people who are anti gun assume all gun owners are just as reckless. If a gun manufacturer wants to torture test guns in a safe environment that is a horse of a different color. When manufacturers torture test a gun they put the gun in a vise and pull the trigger with a string while standing behind an adequate barrier. They do not shoot the gun with their hand.

I would like to see all unsafe torture tests pulled off YouTube. I wish there was a way to get up a petition to have them pulled off YouTube.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

People Like This 
Old 01-08-2014, 07:43 PM   #47

Liked 43 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
It's real simple, all gun owners are ambassadors of the use of firearms. If we have people on YouTube doing things that are not recommended by gun manufacturers people who are anti gun assume all gun owners are just as reckless. If a gun manufacturer wants to torture test guns in a safe environment that is a horse of a different color. When manufacturers torture test a gun they put the gun in a vise and pull the trigger with a string while standing behind an adequate barrier. They do not shoot the gun with their hand.

I would like to see all unsafe torture tests pulled off YouTube. I wish there was a way to get up a petition to have them pulled off YouTube.
Amen to that sir.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:46 PM   #48
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21204 Times on 12040 Posts
Likes Given: 52918

Quote:

this right here is why. plus if those new to guns try stupid thingslike this and use something that could be dangerous, just because they saw some other idiot on a YouTube video do it, then blows up their gun and their hand, then i think we can assume that usig ammo not intended for that gun is dangerous.

JD put it very simply. the factories do torture test their guns, but it's not being held in the hand of the person doing the testing. many times they are also behind barriers in case of a rupture or explosion so they are not struck by flying debris.

IMO, shooting the improper ammo in a gun that it's not made for is asking for trouble and if you video tape it, it sends the wrong message to people.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:49 PM   #49

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
This is America, you don't get to violate someone's free speech no matter how inconvenient it is for you, or because they disagree with you, or because they're stupid.

Thanks for the explanation on the extractor. I'm still having trouble visualizing it. Guess I'll go look up some diagrams.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:38 PM   #50
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2776 Times on 1608 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_CCW View Post
This is America, you don't get to violate someone's free speech no matter how inconvenient it is for you, or because they disagree with you, or because they're stupid.

Thanks for the explanation on the extractor. I'm still having trouble visualizing it. Guess I'll go look up some diagrams.

I'm so glad that A&E got that word with the Phil Robertson explosion.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Axxe55 Likes This