Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Dry Fire 22 l.r. Browning Buck Mark pistol - Snap Caps? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/dry-fire-22-l-r-browning-buck-mark-pistol-snap-caps-40635/)

bf109 04-01-2011 01:33 PM

Dry Fire 22 l.r. Browning Buck Mark pistol - Snap Caps?

I just got my Browning Buck Mark 22 l.r. pistol and read about dry firing it. The advice is not to dry fire it as dry firing will peen breech face and damage barrel.

Are there any quality rimfire Snap Caps (dummy rounds) available for dry firing a Buck Mark? Midway USA offers a few brands (A-Zoom, etc) but the description says the snap caps are NOT for dry fire but for test firearms. It says those snap caps won't last long if used for dry firing.

What's your experience in drying firing Buck Mark? Also, is it ok to use a used cartrige for dry firing? Well, any benefit of practice dry firing at all?

Thanks for sharing.

JonM 04-01-2011 01:48 PM

Do not dry fire a 22lr using snap caps unlike centerfire caps there is nothing there but hard metal which can damage the firing pin. Use a spent shell casing.

Poink88 04-01-2011 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 477110)
Use a spent shell casing.

+1. Just rotate it also as you do it so you are not hitting the same spot over again.

I did test my Buckmark and on mine, the firing pin is not hitting the breech face so I dry fire it empty. YMMV

9mmgun 04-03-2011 10:19 PM

Not trying to be a smartbutt, buy why are you so concerned about dry firing a Buckmark? I just don't see any reason for it, the trigger is outstanding, there is no recoil at all, so what are you trying to gain by it. Go buy a 550 bulk pack of ammo for under 20 bucks & shoot the crap out of it.

Bigcountry02 04-05-2011 04:00 AM

I pickup a Browning Buckmark Camper SS on the 1st April, the wife was in the store and her face was like, you are buying what! :D

I picked it up for $299.00 and Saturday, April 2 did soem range time with it, about 300 rounds. Will post a range report and pics, current pics are of the target's.

On dry firing the Buckmark, I do not!

This is an addictive pistol at the range! :D

bf109 04-05-2011 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9mmgun (Post 478727)
Not trying to be a smartbutt, buy why are you so concerned about dry firing a Buckmark? I just don't see any reason for it, the trigger is outstanding, there is no recoil at all, so what are you trying to gain by it. Go buy a 550 bulk pack of ammo for under 20 bucks & shoot the crap out of it.

Hi, I would agree it doesn't make a lot sense to dry fire the Buck Mark. I guess when a friend wants to handle my Buck Mark, I'll put in an expensed shell just in case he want to pull the trigger once (accidentally :mad:) when the gun is cocked.

Vearl Brown 07-15-2011 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bf109 (Post 477104)
I just got my Browning Buck Mark 22 l.r. pistol and read about dry firing it. The advice is not to dry fire it as dry firing will peen breech face and damage barrel.

Are there any quality rimfire Snap Caps (dummy rounds) available for dry firing a Buck Mark? Midway USA offers a few brands (A-Zoom, etc) but the description says the snap caps are NOT for dry fire but for test firearms. It says those snap caps won't last long if used for dry firing.

What's your experience in drying firing Buck Mark? Also, is it ok to use a used cartrige for dry firing? Well, any benefit of practice dry firing at all?

Thanks for sharing.

I have worked on hundreds of Buck Marks and have NEVER seen any damage done from dry firing (unless the firing pin was broken--and though rare it does happen). Over all they are a great little gun. As well as all the Browning .22 pistols were or are.