You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

Doubts about first handgun selection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 08:04 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1917 Times on 992 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

All other things being equal, and I know they’re not, if was going to carry a .40 or .45, I think I’d go with a metal gun. I’d think I rather carry the weight and have milder recoil, than have a lighter plastic gun that was easier to carry, but had a harder time keeping on target.

Keep in mind that the gun that feels best just being held, may not be the gun that you actually shoot best with.

You’re fortunate budget’s not an issue. The prophylactic against buyer’s remorse is getting what you shoot well, regardless of reasonable cost. Just try shooting a bunch of different ones to get a feel for the design differences, then you’ll pick an off the shelf gun that you're good with. You might want to change the sights and/or the grips.

If you’re looking to get the ‘perfect’ gun for you, you’re going get into some serious money for a custom or semi-custom firearm. If that’s what you want, then that satisfies something else. It’s not needed for self-defense.

Hickok 45 has a You Tube channel and he’s shot a whole lot of different guns. He doesn’t get hung up on 2” groups vs. 3” groups. If he can hit a softball sized target, he’s good, and he can hit them all day long, at any range. He’s a bit repetitive for my taste but he’s not a shill and you can tell what he really likes from when he’s being polite. You could do worse than spend some time to hear his thoughts on various pistols:

http://www.youtube.com/user/hickok45/videos

You know the biggest difference isn’t going to be the gun; it’s going to be you.

(I can't believe I just wrote this! It's like I know what I'm talking about or something! )

Last edited by Vincine; 12-11-2013 at 08:27 PM.
People Like This 
Old 12-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #42

Liked 395 Times on 252 Posts

Like Doc said you get what you pay for, and remember a quality weapon well maintained will rarely depreciate over time. Most hold their value or increase under the right circumstances.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #43
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3392 Times on 2294 Posts
Likes Given: 710

And I love how many folks Knock the 9MM! So will one of you tell me that you have been shot with a 9MM and your still walking?. no? Didn't think so. I love 1911's and the 45ACP., I just can't carry em anymore, they are too heavy(even my combat commander is heavier then my "full sized" SR9....
If I could, I'd carry a Wildey or a 44 AutoMag....

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 12-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 810 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Don't wanna start a fight but doc I have hit a guy 9x center mass with a 9 mm and he was still coming until he got dropped by a saw granted it was NATO ball ammo but still it was 9x at close range

Old 12-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #45

Liked 230 Times on 142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball
And I love how many folks Knock the 9MM! So will one of you tell me that you have been shot with a 9MM and your still walking?. no? Didn't think so. I love 1911's and the 45ACP., I just can't carry em anymore, they are too heavy(even my combat commander is heavier then my "full sized" SR9.... If I could, I'd carry a Wildey or a 44 AutoMag....
My old man was shot twice at point blank range with a 9mm I believe,from what I recallhe was able to run to safety while his coworker returned fire. He is on the forum as DownSouth,maybe he will share with us his experience as I was just barely a teen when it happened so I don't remember all the details but I hope he doesn't mind me sharing this on the forum.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:45 PM   #46

Liked 128 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
And I love how many folks Knock the 9MM! So will one of you tell me that you have been shot with a 9MM and your still walking?. no? Didn't think so. I love 1911's and the 45ACP., I just can't carry em anymore, they are too heavy(even my combat commander is heavier then my "full sized" SR9....
If I could, I'd carry a Wildey or a 44 AutoMag....
I've been hit by a measly .22LR and let me tell you,it HURT VERY VERY BAD!
I couldn't imagine getting hit by the larger 9mm.
Just the pain alone made me want to pass out.Thankfully I didn't.It was a pretty excruciating burning pain.And this was just a .22

Last edited by WillWork4Ammo; 12-11-2013 at 08:49 PM.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillWork4Ammo
I've been hit by a measly .22LR and let me tell you,it HURT VERY VERY BAD! I couldn't imagine getting hit by the larger 9mm. Just the pain alone made me want to pass out.Thankfully I didn't.
Yup. Walking around with an Ak-74 rd. In my back(under left shoulder blade nr my spine, along back ribs.) for just over 30 years. I can still forecast weather changes between that and the Pin holding my ankle together...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 12-11-2013, 09:57 PM   #48
FAA licensed bugsmasher

Liked 2482 Times on 1330 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shintsu View Post
Well, how much do you guys think a person should spend on their first handgun? I have the budget for an expensive one, I just really didn't want to go that route unless absolutely necessary. I know this is going to come down to the price of your own security and such, but I know there are some cheaper alternatives that are very trustworthy. I personally want to own a gun that I never regret buying, one that I won't say "Man, I wish I saved up more money and bought X instead of Y because it was only $200 more and I would've kept that thing forever." I want to carefully plan my gun purchases so as to ideally never have to sell any gun I buy, because I will have a purpose and desire to have each one.
I wouldn't get too hung up on buying the perfect handgun. I bet most of us on here have bought and sold several guns for one reason or the other. The great thing about firearms in that respect is they hold their value for the most part, and there is always a ready market... sometimes more than others. In a nutshell, if you don't like it, you can trade it or sell it in a hurry.

I carry my 1911 on rare occasion. I just don't have a very good carry solution for that particular gun. With something like a 1911, you'll need to put more thought into how to carry. Today I'm carrying my S&W Bodyguard 380 in pocket (due to wearing dress pants). Most days I carry my Kahr PM9 in pocket. The Kahr is the largest form factor that I know I will always feel comfortable carrying daily. Anything much larger for me, will require a different carry solution.

Besides... this will probably be the first of many. Just buy what speaks to you and see how it works out. If it's too big, get a smaller one down the road. If you find you can carry more, buy a larger one down the road. If you find you just don't like it all, trade it on something else.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Last edited by ScottA; 12-11-2013 at 10:16 PM.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:13 PM   #49

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shintsu
Alright, so I've personally eliminated 9mm as a choice. I'll try and head to the range today, but I'm thinking of going with either a .40 or .45. I personally like the compromise offered by the .40 of additional capacity without giving up lots of force. The .45 seems great for force, but the capacity tends to be low on most of the guns I've been seeing. I am not dead set on a Glock, its just that my experience has been positive with the ones I have handled. Personally I thought the trigger on the Glock felt fine, I know it's not a hair trigger like on some 1911's I've handled but I like the way it operates. Are all 1911's SA/DA or are there any DAO? I believe I could conceal something like the 23, that's something I'm concerned about if I choose another gun. Some I don't seem to find locally, so I can't handle them in person. Then again, I kind of don't know what really could be concealed on my person or not - other than I'd rather not get something huge. I'm about 190 lbs, 5'6" so I'm not skinny to where I'd have a problem with healthy sized guns, I just don't think I'm big enough to conceal some of the nearly full sized guns I know other people do conceal well. In the winter maybe, but during the summer I'm not so sure. How difficult are the standard 5" 1911's to conceal? They always struck me as a kind of big gun to conceal based on how long they are. As far as other polymer guns, I'm not really familiar with any - I mean I've heard of M&Ps, the XD series, and the like. I can understand the point against Glocks, I'm not defending them since I don't have a vested interest yet but every LEO I see has them in my area. Maybe not as important to some, but it does make me feel comfortable knowing what I shoot is the same thing an officer would trust their life with since they have even lower tolerance for failures. I like the Glock approach of no safety, just a DAO trigger. But then again, I like the 1911 approach of the web safety and the physical safety. I didn't have an issue controlling the Glock 19, the only .40 I remember shooting was a few years ago and it was a CZ - it was a snappy thing, but I'm certain I was doing a lousy job of holding it right. The range I was at, one of the guys there was friendly enough to show me the proper way to hold it (push forward with main arm, pull with the other - but apply no force), and a few other pointers. With this knowledge I might handle the .40 a lot better.
Don't discount 9mm so easily. And a G26 with even a small magazine extension feels great. And it's very concealable. It's my edc. I've read endlessly about one caliber vs. another, and my conclusion is that it doesn't matter-9mm or 45 or 40. 9mm is cheaper and shooting a lot is very important. And fun.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #50

OP: you have already decided on excluding a caliber that 2/3rds of the free world's countries use for their Military & Police. That is your choice, but those of us that have and shoot 9MM can't really help you out much.