Doubts about first handgun selection - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Doubts about first handgun selection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sig View Post
Navy Seals carry a 9mm sig 226. And those that they have killed haven't complained yet
They also carry 1911s in .45 acp for when they need a sub-sonic round they can suppress. So does the Secret Service and the FBI HRT for the same reasons. Neither the FBI or the Secret Service carry 9mm handguns.

To the OP. Get what you can shoot accurately with a quick recovery. As far as the 9mm being a weak round for defense, I can swear that it is. Over the course of my career I have seen way too many walking wounded with multiple 9mm hits. We even had one that it took a Maglight to stop when 4 torso hits with a 9mm wouldn't do the job. The Maglight was vigorously applied more than 20 minutes after the initial call for the shooting.

There is an exception, and I do own a couple 9mm's. There are days when the clothing I am forced to wear won't allow me to conceal anything else. At that point a 9mm in the waistband beats a .40 or .45 in the gun safe. Look at your clothes. What will your normal mode of dress allow you conceal? If your budget limits you to one handgun, buy what you can hide. You are not going to change your wardrobe to fit your gun, and even a .22 is better than nothing.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #22

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA
Yes. You bought the wrong gun. You bought a Glock.
X2

I'm so sorry your settled on a glock....

Old 12-11-2013, 12:53 PM   #23
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2334 Times on 1256 Posts
Likes Given: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shintsu View Post
Ok I'll bite, if Glocks are bad what should I be buying in a handgun?
It's a joke. Don't worry about it. But it is important to try out as many as possible before making your decision: Smith & Wesson, Springfield, Sig, Ruger, etc.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 12-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #24

Liked 1880 Times on 972 Posts
Likes Given: 1423

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
It's a joke. Don't worry about it. But it is important to try out as many as possible before making your decision: Smith & Wesson, Springfield, Sig, Ruger, etc.
QFT

I’ve got big but slender hands with long thin fingers. If you're like a regular guy and have big hands with fat fingers, strong wrists, and swing axes and stuff, YMMV. Here’s my experience:

Most important thing BY FAR for self-defense is bullet placement, then bullet expansion.

Small, ‘light’ gun (plastic) & large caliber = hard to control. Large, ‘heavy’ gun (metal) & small caliber = easy to control.

I thought I wanted a small Kahr 9 mm but I found it hard to control, rack the slide, etc. I shot 1911/45 and found the trigger too hard to pull, different trigger pull from first to follow up shots, heavier to carry, and it was hard for me to rack, not to mention a nice selection of safety buttons and levers. I found revolvers uncomfortable to shoot, single or double action.

I shot best with a G17. I got a G19 gen 4. Only one ‘safety’ button (trigger). I would have got a G23 had I know about the 9mm barrel option. I would have considered a M&P 9mm had it been out.

Too repeat: The most important thing BY FAR for self-defense is bullet placement. That means practice.

Last edited by Vincine; 12-11-2013 at 02:07 PM.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 283 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 127

I have read a few debates here on FTF and even contributed from time to time. The best answer I have heard to the perennial question, "What is the best gun to have" is - whatever you have in your hand when you need it.

Each of us has his/her own preferences and as you can tell, we are not shy in sharing them.

Yes, I do like higher end platforms like HK, SIG, FNH etc. and you can find some used ones in your price range with alittle luck & perseverence.

Each pistol has it's own unique ergonomics. Many people detest Glocks for their 2x4 like grip, bad trigger and unsupported chamber leading to numerous Kaboom stories. (See Youtube or your local paper)

For approx $85 more - SA has a XDM w slightly better ergo, better trigger, grip safety & match barrel. SW also has numerous models. Ruger is also a leader in this price range.

What you want to carry vs what you can conceal on your person may be entirely two different things. I am a .45 fan but my carry gun is a Ruger LCP w laser. You want to talk about noise - that little gun is extremely loud !

Vincent: The 1911 Trigger can be tuned to perfection & is the choice of many professionals for competition in a variety of disiplines. I have a Colt Officers model that has a 2.5 lb trigger which is perfect for the range but too light for carry. No free lunch. I use it for teaching because it is surprisingly easy to hit with which builds confidence. (Its an all steel model)

Last edited by Gonzilla; 12-11-2013 at 04:40 PM.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #26

Liked 1880 Times on 972 Posts
Likes Given: 1423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
. . . . Vincine: The 1911 Trigger can be tuned to perfection & is the choice of many professionals for competition in a variety of disiplines. . . . (Its an all steel model)
The issue was the l o n g first shot pull and the subsequent shorter trigger pulls. I prefered the Glock's same trigger weight/operation for all shots.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:52 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 783 Times on 521 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
I meant most common military caliber. And the SEALs ammo supply isn't in question. I've watched them burn plenty of ammo in training with no concern about depleting their supply. They have a pretty generous ammo budget.
IIRC Seals shoot more ammo in training then the entire rest of the armed forces combined do in one year(less the other units who fall under USSOCOM)

Now back to the thread topic I would suggest checking out a Springfield XD pistol I have an XD40 and it is by far the best handgun I have ever used and I have used quite a few. Glocks are great you can run em over and freeze em and all sorts of other crazy crap that will never happen in real life, but everytime I shoot one it shoots high to the left no matter what plus they are just plain butt ugly.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #28

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Alright, so I've personally eliminated 9mm as a choice. I'll try and head to the range today, but I'm thinking of going with either a .40 or .45. I personally like the compromise offered by the .40 of additional capacity without giving up lots of force. The .45 seems great for force, but the capacity tends to be low on most of the guns I've been seeing. I am not dead set on a Glock, its just that my experience has been positive with the ones I have handled. Personally I thought the trigger on the Glock felt fine, I know it's not a hair trigger like on some 1911's I've handled but I like the way it operates. Are all 1911's SA/DA or are there any DAO?

I believe I could conceal something like the 23, that's something I'm concerned about if I choose another gun. Some I don't seem to find locally, so I can't handle them in person. Then again, I kind of don't know what really could be concealed on my person or not - other than I'd rather not get something huge. I'm about 190 lbs, 5'6" so I'm not skinny to where I'd have a problem with healthy sized guns, I just don't think I'm big enough to conceal some of the nearly full sized guns I know other people do conceal well. In the winter maybe, but during the summer I'm not so sure. How difficult are the standard 5" 1911's to conceal? They always struck me as a kind of big gun to conceal based on how long they are. As far as other polymer guns, I'm not really familiar with any - I mean I've heard of M&Ps, the XD series, and the like.

I can understand the point against Glocks, I'm not defending them since I don't have a vested interest yet but every LEO I see has them in my area. Maybe not as important to some, but it does make me feel comfortable knowing what I shoot is the same thing an officer would trust their life with since they have even lower tolerance for failures. I like the Glock approach of no safety, just a DAO trigger. But then again, I like the 1911 approach of the web safety and the physical safety. I didn't have an issue controlling the Glock 19, the only .40 I remember shooting was a few years ago and it was a CZ - it was a snappy thing, but I'm certain I was doing a lousy job of holding it right. The range I was at, one of the guys there was friendly enough to show me the proper way to hold it (push forward with main arm, pull with the other - but apply no force), and a few other pointers. With this knowledge I might handle the .40 a lot better.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #29
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2334 Times on 1256 Posts
Likes Given: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shintsu View Post

I can understand the point against Glocks,
For me, it's simple. Glocks feel awful. The grip is all wrong: wrong angle; wrong contour. If they feel ok to you, then fine.

How many handguns have you fired?

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 12-11-2013, 06:57 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 990 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

This is my thought process on choosing handguns

The #1 thing in choosing a handgun is how it fits into your hands, PERIOD. You need to handle and shoot as many as you can find. If GLOCK is your thing then you're already concerned with fit in your original post... Myself I'm not a fan of GLOCKS because of the fit issue within my hands.

#2 Is caliber choice. ALL handgun calibers are LETHAL...So then it becomes a question of who's dog kills better. Myself I lean to weight and diameter. But no matter what you must shoot! Practice a lot always stay to the basics.. Basics = Accuracy = Flow = Speed

#3 Is carry. What is your physical build will determine how comfortably you will be able to carry your pistol open or concealed. A 1911 45ACP with a full load of 230 grainers is heavy. And with the higher capacities available, fighting your pants to keep them up is something to consider. Even with todays compacts.

One of the very best compacts I've ever had was a S&W model 457.. Look around the used pistol areas maybe you can find one to hold..

Become steel or get cut.