Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Doubts about first handgun selection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2013, 08:36 PM   #131
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1600 Times on 833 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

I didn't remember you already had a 9mm when I posted this. So, "Well then, never mind." Emily Latarie

I've a 9mm and wasn't satisfied with my progress, so I went and got a .22lr to 'practice the fundamentals', and it's cheaper to shoot, etc.

You know what? The fundamentals aren't all that hard with a .22lr. I've gotten proficient at zipping through a magazine, putting two or three rounds in several spread out index cards, one after another, more often than not, with the .22lr.

However, I've found there's a BIG difference between doing that with the .22lr and attempting that with the 9mm. Quickly reacquiring my sight picture and squeezing off a follow up shot with the 9mm is proving to be a bit more of a challenge. I really don't think much skill is transferable.

I've just now started to improve with the 9mm because I've stopped shooting the .22lr, I've just been shooting the 9mm. Despite how much fun the rimfire is, time spent shooting the .22lr is time not spent shooting the 9mm. It's time spent not developing muscle memory, recoil management, trigger control, target reacquisition, etc. with the 9mm.

If I had it to do over, I'd spend the money and time on shooting additional 9mm ammo instead of getting a .22lr. I'm thinking to get a handgrip exerciser to work with too.

Probably there's a much smaller difference in recoil between a 9mm and a .45 than there is between a .22lr and a 9mm. Even so, because of what I learned, I would spend the time & money practicing and developing skill with .45 I had until I was satisfied, before I started in with another caliber.

I would think it's probably easier to go 'down' to a 9mm after becoming proficient with the .45 than the other way around anyway.

Just my personal experience and opinion.

Last edited by Vincine; 12-31-2013 at 08:45 PM.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:59 PM   #132
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1992 Times on 1080 Posts
Likes Given: 716

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincine View Post
i didn't remember you already had a 9mm when i posted this. So, "well then, never mind." emily latarie

i've a 9mm and wasn't satisfied with my progress, so i went and got a .22lr to 'practice the fundamentals', and it's cheaper to shoot, etc.

You know what? The fundamentals aren't all that hard with a .22lr. I've gotten proficient at zipping through a magazine, putting two or three rounds in several spread out index cards, one after another, more often than not, with the .22lr.

However, i've found there's a big difference between doing that with the .22lr and attempting that with the 9mm. Quickly reacquiring my sight picture and squeezing off a follow up shot with the 9mm is proving to be a bit more of a challenge. i really don't think much skill is transferable.

I've just now started to improve with the 9mm because i've stopped shooting the .22lr, i've just been shooting the 9mm. Despite how much fun the rimfire is, time spent shooting the .22lr is time not spent shooting the 9mm. It's time spent not developing muscle memory, recoil management, trigger control, target reacquisition, etc. With the 9mm.

If i had it to do over, i'd spend the money and time on shooting additional 9mm ammo instead of getting a .22lr. I'm thinking to get a handgrip exerciser to work with too.

Probably there's a much smaller difference in recoil between a 9mm and a .45 than there is between a .22lr and a 9mm. Even so, because of what i learned, i would spend the time & money practicing and developing skill with .45 i had until i was satisfied, before i started in with another caliber.

I would think it's probably easier to go 'down' to a 9mm after becoming proficient with the .45 than the other way around anyway.

Just my personal experience and opinion.
Gaahhh! He said don't shoot 22!!! HERETIC!!!! Burn Him!!!!

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Last edited by ScottA; 12-31-2013 at 09:01 PM.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:12 PM   #133
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Gaahhh! He said don't shoot 22!!! HERETIC!!!! Burn Him!!!!

Actually, I said I stopped shooting a .22lr pistol, at least until I became satisfied with my 9mm work, not that you or anyone else should stop.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:32 PM   #134

Liked 1915 Times on 1143 Posts
Likes Given: 409

So, I got lost a bit. Do you still have your G19, and just added a 1911 and a .22? Or did you get rid of the 19?

I wouldn't start carrying the 1911 unroll you get it figured out as far as getting your rounds to hit where you want. And you find a load that it feed reliably. Keep carrying the Glock that you hit well with and feeds every time, until the 1911 is sorted out.

Grip angle is a degree off from the Glock. Trigger reach, and trigger travel are different, which can shift your point of impact. If the gun is consistently hitting to one side, you are getting tight groups and they are at the correct elevation, then it is time to adjust the sights.

I put my Springfield 1911 through the wringer before I trusted it for carry.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:57 PM   #135

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Sorry, I rented the G19 at the range. Most of the guns I've shot have been range rentals, since that's the best way I've had to familiarize myself with them. I bought the 1911 based on many factors but primarily it will be a SD handgun not just a range toy. The .22 Ruger I bought on a whim because it was very cheap and I wanted to buy a Mark some day (Though I wanted a SS bull barrel with a long barrel - the price difference is considerably greater and I cannot complain with this one).

I have no CCW and won't even try for one until I'm comfortable with the 1911. If that time never comes, then I'll look at getting something different. I just know from the short time I had with the G19 that it shot quite well for me compared to how I'm shooting the 1911. But I have not shot a well broken in 1911 before, except for one at a range several years ago and I've forgotten if there were any issues at all with it (it was also a rental range gun). I haven't shot .45 in anything but 1911 platform, so I suppose I might be missing out on something but it's a rather moot point since I own the gun now.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:37 AM   #136
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2704 Times on 1857 Posts
Likes Given: 542

9's never made me flinch except maybe when I was 15 or 16. 45's Made me Jump when I was a (very) young kid. Heavy Magnums and Heavy Rifle rounds (and 12Ga.'s sometimes) would make me jump,..but I also have a "touch" of PTSD, or so I was told at the St. Albans Queens NY VA Hosp.

I switched Out my regular muffs for Electronic ones, and also use either foam or plastic plugs at the indoor range. When we are outside, I'll use the regular ones Solo, as there is no reflective sound off the walls coming back at you to "echo"

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 01-01-2014, 01:01 AM   #137
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Something else to consider. Training with plugs and/or muffs is all good and fine, but you said this was a SD gun. You should fire a round or two without them every now and then so the L O U D ness of a/your firearm doesn't make you freeze should you ever need to use it. Maybe do it at night too to get acquainted with the B R I G H T flash.

(I saw gun fight in a movie once.)

Last edited by Vincine; 01-01-2014 at 01:06 AM.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:21 AM   #138

Liked 1915 Times on 1143 Posts
Likes Given: 409

Ok. I'm a little clearer on what you have now.

I shoot .45 and 9 quite a bit. I find them both to be fairly similar in total recoil, but with different characteristics. The .45 doesn't seem to be as fast or snappy, compared to more of the push like recoil of the .45. I do notice my Sig 220 has more muzzle flip than my 1911 or Glock 21, but I attribute that to the higher bore axis of the 220. The Glocks sit lower in the hand, and so does my 1911 after adding a beavertail and undercutting the trigger guard a bit.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:04 AM   #139
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 843 Times on 486 Posts
Likes Given: 339

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Ok. I'm a little clearer on what you have now.

I shoot .45 and 9 quite a bit. I find them both to be fairly similar in total recoil, but with different characteristics. The .45 doesn't seem to be as fast or snappy, compared to more of the push like recoil of the .45. I do notice my Sig 220 has more muzzle flip than my 1911 or Glock 21, but I attribute that to the higher bore axis of the 220. The Glocks sit lower in the hand, and so does my 1911 after adding a beavertail and undercutting the trigger guard a bit.
That is something I noticed about shooting the 220 as well. I've shot a variety of SIG, HK, Glock, and 1911 style pistols, among others, and the SIG's produced substantially more torque in my hands, even the 226. I settled on the Glock because I couldn't obtain a M&P at the time, which is a more ergonomic pistol than the Glock.

With respect to the Glock, M&P, and other polymer frame pistols, if you put a SureFire X300 on them, there's a noticeable difference in how "snappy" they are in recoil.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:31 PM   #140

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I have only had the problem of jumping when someone shoots if I forgot to put in my hearing protection. Guns will damage your hearing. Make sure you have good hearing protection and make damn sure it's worn properly. Most people don't insert ear plugs far enough.

1911 triggers are fantastic and tend help accuracy a lot for inexperienced shooters. You just need to get used to the caliber. Or consider a Springfield EMP 9mm. It's the only gun I have that my wife can shoot accurately (including 3 other 9mm). A couple other companies make a 9mm 1911 also.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3