Doubts about first handgun selection - Page 13
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

Doubts about first handgun selection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #121
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shintsu View Post
It has some weight to it (The Ruger 1911), but I tried the "gangster pants holster" style with my blue jeans and a belt today and it felt manageable. But time will tell, I think I'll be happy with it even if I don't end up carrying it . Got a lot of other goodies on my wish list I'm eyeing up, now to control myself so as not to buy all of them !
Just curious how long you carried it like that? I love my EMP .40 but after a couple hours it starts to get uncomfortable. A good belt helps but only so much.

Was it loaded? The ammo weight will make a noticeable difference. I'd strongly advise against carrying it that way cocked and locked. Even in a holster I've had my safety disengage if I'm carrying things or climbing.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:13 PM   #122

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_CCW View Post
Just curious how long you carried it like that? I love my EMP .40 but after a couple hours it starts to get uncomfortable. A good belt helps but only so much.

Was it loaded? The ammo weight will make a noticeable difference. I'd strongly advise against carrying it that way cocked and locked. Even in a holster I've had my safety disengage if I'm carrying things or climbing.
I only did this for a minute in the house, just to see how it felt. I didn't go anywhere with it like that and never would. I have no ammo yet, so it was not loaded. I figure you have to give up something when carrying something like this, if it ends up being a little heavy I'll make do.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #123

Liked 169 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I'm wanting a 45 either the G30 or the SR45

Old 12-31-2013, 04:39 AM   #124

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Finally got to shoot at the range today. I ran 50 rounds of Federal 230 grain FMJ through it, I may just be holding it wrong or not used to the kick but I'm shooting to the left and high of where I'm aiming. Not sure if the sights might have gotten knocked around during shipping or if I'm just not aiming/holding it properly. Brought my Mark II with me and shot like a laser even at 25 yards. I hadn't shot 22 in ages so after the Ruger I was holding it and anticipating more recoil - silly of me since the compensator on the Mark II takes the already weak recoil and makes it basically nonexistant. Even rapid fire I was very tight grouping.

With the SR1911, not so great. Definitely missed completely on a few, not sure why. I did have maybe 3 FTF issues, the rounds where they should have gone in seemed to jam a bit around the throat (Excuse the possibly very wrong terminology here) of the barrel. I don't know why but it wouldn't even go in if I pulled it back and let it go forward again. Had to take the mag out, hold the slide back and let the round fall out through the grip. I'm not sure if that's because it's new, because I'm holding it wrong, or because something actually wrong. Any ideas? Kinda curious on what else I can do to improve my aim. I remember the other 1911 I shot recently I was a bit off with it, the way the round comes out is definitely a lot different than a 9mm.

I really like this SR1911, but I did seem to shoot pretty well with 9mm. My G19 shots were spot on and I had no FTF issues at all. Also just a condition question but how can I keep the stainless steel from scratching? I'm already noticing a hairline scratch around the bottom of the trigger guard, tiny wear marks around the slide stop and safety, and a tiny hairline scratch where I think the infamous idiot scratch is normally located. I have not field stripped it, so the "idiot scratch" is probably coming from me pushing inward with the slide stop on the frame and not just straight up (Kind of hard for me not to do since the gun is so stiff from being new). Anything I can do to prevent these wear marks or are they basically inevitable?

Old 12-31-2013, 01:02 PM   #125
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2479 Times on 1329 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Try this...

Doubts about first handgun selection - Semi-Auto Handguns

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
People Like This 
Old 12-31-2013, 01:45 PM   #126

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 9

First of all 50 rounds is barely enough to evaluate the gun. Try a different ammo type. My EMP had trouble with Brass Maxx ammo because it wasn't crimped as tight as other brands I've tried, so the edge of the brass was getting caught in the throat. After 1000 rounds or so it improved quite a bit though. I think I mentioned earlier in the thread, 1911's tend to need tuning, but this doesn't really seem to be a tuning issue unless it does it with multiple brands. I'll say I haven't had any problems with Federal though. Glocks and Beretta, probably some others, tend to be very reliable right out of the box. I wouldn't carry a 1911 until shooting a few hundred rounds through it with little to no issues. Also make sure whatever brand and weight hollow point you use, shoot at least 50 rounds through the gun to check for any issues.

As far as your accuracy, I'm almost positive you're flinching. That circle diagram might show you what type of flinch, but I know for me it would tend to vary from day to day. One day I'd shoot high left, one day I'd shoot low, etc. After shooting a clip, try to dry fire the gun a few times. I bet you still flinch. Dry fire until you don't flinch any more, then try to shoot a clip the same way. Rinse and repeat. Switching back and forth with the 22 might help some in the same manner.

It took me well over 1000 rounds to stop flinching completely. Some people take a lot less. I could always hit pretty good at 10 yards, but now I can hit the plates at 25 yards pretty consistently.

IF YOU KEEP HAVE PROBLEMS BE SURE TO SEND IT BACK TO THE MANUFACTURER. I have to send my STI back this week.

Last edited by Brad_CCW; 12-31-2013 at 01:50 PM.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:27 PM   #127

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Try this...
*snip*
Thanks, that's really helpful. I don't doubt I'm probably flinching a bit and anticipating the recoil. I'm not sure if anyone else ever feels like this, but when I go to a range I always seem to jump the first few times someone else fires their gun. I hate it because I often walk up when no one is shooting so it's quiet, I calmly put my stuff down and get setup, then suddenly someone shoots and I jump. I feel annoyed every time I do it, because I know it's going to happen and it's just my gut reaction to jump to really loud sudden sounds. I hope that goes away with time being around firearms more often.

I feel a little less bad though, the other day at the range my father was watching from behind the glass and noticed an older man and his son were shooting a couple lanes to the left of me. He said each time I started firing they jumped. Indoor ranges are definitely a lot louder than outdoor ranges, but I like the convenience of not having to walk out and setup your target and wait for all clears and such.

A somewhat honest reflection I ponder, would I have been wiser to buy a 9mm since I shot it well already and could hone my skills to be accurate with it faster? I already expected this 1911 to need to be broken in before being a completely reliable weapon, which I can certainly see the point against the platform that supporters of other platforms would say. I'll certainly keep at it though, hopefully I'll train myself a bit better and with the help of the guy at the range who was a strong advocate of the 1911 platform I'll get some pointers as well. He already taught me about using a dominant eye to avoid doing the common pinch one eye and aim with the other (which I'm still trying to get used to).

Old 12-31-2013, 07:11 PM   #128

Liked 9217 Times on 5060 Posts
Likes Given: 74

For flinch, make sure you have some really good ear pro (maybe consider plugs AND muffs) and tons of dry fire practice, after checking your owner's manual to make sure it's ok. Not all manuals will say, "safe to dry fire." But I've yet to see one that DOESN'T say "do NOT dry fire" if it's NOT safe.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:17 PM   #129
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 810 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I jump all the time at the range and I can't go to fireworks displays either must be the PTSD kicking in from Iraq tbh I used to jump at the range before that too it's your bodied natural reaction to getting startled

Old 12-31-2013, 08:25 PM   #130

Liked 9217 Times on 5060 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I have PTSD too, but like you, jumping at loud noises is just natural. The only way I've found to get around it is with good ear pro.