Doubts about first handgun selection - Page 11
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Doubts about first handgun selection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1841 Times on 954 Posts
Likes Given: 1402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shintsu View Post
. . . . It strikes me as odd that they aren't more immediately communicative with me, as they don't get paid until they answer my questions. . . .
Presuming normal business hours, and according to your posts here, it they had the sale for an hour & twenty minutes before closing last night, and a few hours this morning. Less than 5 hours. Not even a full day. They may not have gotten to their list of GB buyers yet, what with dealing with in store customers, stocking shelves, filing credit card slips and stuff. They probably don’t have someone babysitting their GB offerings all the time. Of course I’m just guessing. I’d give them a full day or two before even begining to get concerned.

Last edited by Vincine; 12-13-2013 at 04:49 PM.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #102
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2030 Times on 1394 Posts
Likes Given: 771

Quote:
Seems the seller I'm dealing with has not sent me any sort of message so far. I already sent them a message (Through GB, not email - though my assumption is that it contacted them via email with my message) asking a few questions about specific details. Their contact info provided a name and address as well as a phone number and email. I strongly prefer to get all information in a message or email so I have written proof from them of what is required. I want to verify by having the seller tell me "I want this, this, and this, and please do it like so" rather than me to do guesswork based on what I know they probably need and just assume others.

It strikes me as odd that they aren't more immediately communicative with me, as they don't get paid until they answer my questions. I don't feel comfortable shipping off payment with the assumption that it's all good. Since in the case of my seller they are a dealer, is it possible they sold the gun in their physical shop and didn't remove the online listing? Just trying to figure out the possible scenarios here.
There is no way we can predict what is going on. The shop might just be busy so no one has looked into online activities.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 12-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #103

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
Presuming normal business hours, and according to your posts here, it they had the sale for an hour & twenty minutes before closing last night, and a few hours this morning. Less than 5 hours. Not even a full day. They may not have gotten to their list of GB buyers yet, what with dealing with in store customers, stocking shelves, filing credit card slips and stuff. They probably don’t have someone babysitting their GB offerings all the time. Of course I’m just guessing. I’d give them a full day or two before even begining to get concerned.
Ok, I'll give it a bit more time. Guess I'm spoiled by buying from Amazon and the other online retailers where I get an instant notification of what's going on. I bought from GB once before, and I remember them being very prompt and I know they were a pawn shop so I guess they sort of made me expect they would all be that way.

GB says you have 5 days to contact the seller from the close of the auction, is that 5 business days or just 5 days?

Old 12-14-2013, 12:47 PM   #104

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
They use 9mm because its the most common caliber, and they don't use their pistols as primary weapons. They'll pick a rifle first.
Correct however their go to rifle, the mp5 is also in 9mm

Old 12-15-2013, 12:35 AM   #105
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2024 Times on 1199 Posts
Likes Given: 990

Quote:
Seems the seller I'm dealing with has not sent me any sort of message so far. I already sent them a message (Through GB, not email - though my assumption is that it contacted them via email with my message) asking a few questions about specific details. Their contact info provided a name and address as well as a phone number and email. I strongly prefer to get all information in a message or email so I have written proof from them of what is required. I want to verify by having the seller tell me "I want this, this, and this, and please do it like so" rather than me to do guesswork based on what I know they probably need and just assume others.

It strikes me as odd that they aren't more immediately communicative with me, as they don't get paid until they answer my questions. I don't feel comfortable shipping off payment with the assumption that it's all good. Since in the case of my seller they are a dealer, is it possible they sold the gun in their physical shop and didn't remove the online listing? Just trying to figure out the possible scenarios here.
Check their feed back info. If you bought from one of the bigger dealers they may just be busy and not work on the week end.
The auctions should tell you what type of payment they will accept and what their terms and conditions are.
If I can be of help PM as I do both buy and sell often on GB.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 12-15-2013 at 12:50 AM.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:22 AM   #106

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
Check their feed back info. If you bought from one of the bigger dealers they may just be busy and not work on the week end.
The auctions should tell you what type of payment they will accept and what their terms and conditions are.
If I can be of help PM as I do both buy and sell often on GB.
The seller got back with me yesterday, so worries are gone. I was just unsure if I needed to send anything extra. Will be getting a USPS Money order on Monday and mailing it out. Then I can begin the grueling process of waiting even more anxiously for it to arrive.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:04 PM   #107

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Try the M&P Shield! I prefer the size and the trigger over the G26 or G19!! Not hating on Glocks, own them, love them! But the Shield works best for me, for everyday carry! Available in 9mm or 40S&W!! Great little gun!! Only negative is an external safety, that I choose to ignore and never use!

Old 12-20-2013, 04:14 PM   #108

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I think you'll be happy with the officer (I meant commander) size. I just recently discovered how much I like 1911's. I prefer the officer sized grip with 4" barrel. Kimber calls this a Compact. My Kimber CDP Compact is my favorite carry gun right now. Find you some thin grips online if you want better concealment. Also one with an officer frame would help a lot if you decide to buy another later on. The 45 is a great caliber but there's a lot to be said for the extra capacity of a 9mm. With GOOD hollow points 9mm are damn near as effective as a 45 hollow point based on the less than ideal research that's been done.

For your next gun I'd get something that's very comfortable to carry. I have a Taurus Millenium Pro that's never malfunctioned once, holds 12 rounds, very thin and light. Taurus isn't top of the line but I think they have good warranty service if you need it and mine has been flawless. On the other hand I have two $1000+ 1911 that needed adjustments to shoot properly. Other great candidates I own are Springfield XD-S, Sig P938, Springfield EMP. Try to stay under 26 oz unloaded for a carry gun and it should be a lot more comfortable.

Last edited by Brad_CCW; 12-20-2013 at 06:02 PM.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #109

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Gun came in the other day and I just picked it up today, nice! I always thought guns came in those plastic hard cases so I was a bit surprised this one was in a cardboard box, but it's not terribly important I suppose. It's a little hefty, but I tried the old stick it in the side of your pants thing (that I'd absolutely never do) and the weight unloaded felt very manageable. I'll head to the range either later this week or this weekend and give it a go. A question, what is the empty casing in the sealed pouch supposed to tell me - that the gun was tested and fired properly? I'm not familiar with what this process involves, so a little more information would be nice. Do they fire a set number of rounds through the gun?

Otherwise this was a very easy and painless process, heck they got the gun to me before Christmas and the shipping was very fair along with their fees - it's not a present per se but it is to myself . Thanks again for the advice guys, kinda funny to think I went from "Which Glock do I want?" to "I just bought a 1911" but I think I'll own a Glock eventually . Along with many other guns I've kind of always wanted. Like a Ruger Mark II/III finished in stainless steel with a scope...mmm, ok enough I don't need more guns already

Last edited by Shintsu; 12-24-2013 at 09:02 PM.

Old 12-25-2013, 01:11 PM   #110

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Congrats. Hope you like it. I just noticed though, the SR1911 is very heavy for a carry gun. Some guys carry these but something under 30 oz would be much more comfortable. I like to stay around 25 oz. Check out the Sig ultra for a great moderate priced carry gun . Keep the one you have for the range or to keep beside the bed.

Also, you can't go wrong with a Glock but check out the XDm and Walther guns if you want something a little prettier and more ergonomic. Ruger SR40c looks nice for the price also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Firearms Talk mobile app

Last edited by Brad_CCW; 12-25-2013 at 01:13 PM.