Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   DIY build? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/diy-build-79349/)

BeyondTheBox 12-25-2012 02:38 AM

DIY build?

Are there any kits out there, or a way to build your own gun? I'm thinking a 1911, given their popularity.

I just think it'd be really cool if one could purchase a standard 1911 frame then piece it together with the exact quality pieces and parts that he/she wants. No brand name just "mine"!

I think it'd be a great way to learn about the functions of a classic semi auto and something to be proud of.

SSGN_Doc 12-25-2012 02:58 AM

Can be done. Takes some special tools and some serious reading. Parts all have to be fitted. Though sometimes you can get enough parts together to find parts that fit and will function. But not usually going to run super reliably, accurately or for long before barrel lug/slide lug wear becomes a problem. to get them to run long term you really need to fit the parts precisely.

Hardest and most expensive parts to buy are the barrel, slide and frame. Once those are fitted right, the rest of the parts are fairly simple and a bit less expensive if you screw up.

You can get slides and frames that are pre-fitted from Caspian, Foster industries, or Fusion Firearms. Then get the other parts and tools as money allows.

SSGN_Doc 12-25-2012 03:07 AM

A Kart EZ fit barrel kit from Brownells would be a good option for the barrel as well. As long as you don't rush, you have a nice match grade barrel at a good price.

BeyondTheBox 12-25-2012 04:05 AM

Yeah, lack of reliability definitely isn't too encouraging. Well, I might just mull it over a bit.

Juzi9mm 12-25-2012 04:23 AM

get a gunsmithing book specifically made for the 1911, study it, then start peicing it together peice by peice with the components of your choice.

BeyondTheBox 12-25-2012 04:35 AM

I saw that Sarco inc sells kits complete with everything but the frame. Almost pulled trigger but I think I'll do some more research first.

SSGN_Doc 12-25-2012 05:57 AM

I've seen them built from the Sarco kits. If one really does their research and is willing to accept that some parts will just plain suck, and may require even more fitting, then they can be a good start. Some will even just drop together, but they usually aren't the best examples of a hand crafted 1911. They can indeed give the first time builder a good appreciation of why a true and finely crafted 1911 costs as much as it does.

When I built one, I went ahead and got a fitted slide frame and barrel from Fusion. Then did the rest over a couple of months. It has been very reliable and extremely accurate. But I got to hand select the rest of the parts and fit them myself. Then got to finish it in a baked on finish over a home parkerizing job for a really tough finish. I probably spent over $1000 in parts and tools, and then about 50 hours on it.

BeyondTheBox 12-25-2012 07:03 AM

I know it makes no sense, but I'm the type that can't justify spending even 5k on a newer car, but I'll spend as much as it takes continuing to fix up and maintain my old 80s Volvo. There truly is no value on the blood, sweat, and cursing tears of that which you invest so much.

We'll see just how interested I am after researching more. I'm not much of a directions sort of guy, and I've already completely stripped my Firestars and rebuilt them, so I'm confident that with a simple parts schematic I can assemble one. It would more likely be the fit of the parts that the reliability of a competed piece would rely upon.

Thanks for the info and input!

danf_fl 12-25-2012 09:09 AM

Check out these. Bob Serva use to be president of Dan Wesson before CZ bought them. I've done a build on a Fusion Firearms frame and I am very content with the way it turned out.
http://www.fusionfirearms.com/

Axxe55 12-25-2012 10:26 AM

BTB, the 1911 is not a pistol you buy parts for and assemble like the AR. most parts will require fitting, even when they are Mil-Spec. fitting these parts also requires specialized tools for the 1911 platform and some are not cheap, and they will be rquired to do the job correctly.

many people have thought they could buy a frame and slide and the parts needed and assemble a 1911 cheaper and better than what's available from the factory. wrong! i priced doing this several years ago, and i could end up buying two really nice 1911's for what it would cost to build one really nice one doing it myself. another consideration is the cost of the tools. if you only planned on building one, then factor in the cost of those tools into it, because if you only do one, they are now pretty useless to you.

my suggestion, hit the pawn shops and gun stores and look for a used 1911 and customize it to your tates and needs. or buy a RIA or American Classic and do the same thing. that's what i did. i bought an AC Commander and modified and customized it to my needs and taste. i came out much cheaper and with a much better pistol.