A disappointing day at the range : (
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > A disappointing day at the range : (

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2010, 11:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default A disappointing day at the range : (

So, I finally got a chance to shoot my Colt 1911 Argentine, I waited a long couple of weeks to have the time/money to fire off this 80 year old treasure. If packed up 250 rounds of ammo(and 32 for the Mosin Nagant) and headed to the range. For the purpose of comparison, my dad took along the Remington Rand.

The weather conditions were terrible, it was extremely windy, and cold. However, this wasn't going to stop me, the fires of hell would not prevent me from firing the gun. Because of the wind, we used the metal target(about the size of a small dinner plate) and placed it at 25 yards. The anticipation grew.....I gripped the pistol for the first time at the range......it was loaded, and I was ready to fire.......then.......I pulled the trigger.

"Clink" sounded in the air as the first round hit the target. I love the old combat sights! Clink on the second shot, and the third.....even though the wind was blowing my arms, I was shooting ok.....then, the next 5 rounds were a miss(was using an 8 shot Kimber clip)......ok, chalked it up to a newbie feel and fired two more clips......my shooting was atrocious, I only hit the damn target twice in 14 shots(switched back to the seven rounders to test them out)......so, I was thinking "ok, weird"......I picked up the Remington Rand, figuring I was having a bad day.......fired......."clink, clink, clink" in rapid succession, I hit the target 12 times out of 14 shots.

Finally, it occurred to me to put up a paper target(DUH!), my family and I put a few clips into the paper....when we went down range, I discovered the gun was shooting WAY left......it had just been the wind that allowed me to hit the metal target in the first place(random arm movement).....turns out, the sights on the Argentine were off, and now, another trip to the blacksmith!

The pro's of the date.....the Argentine fed every single round perfectly(even semi-cheap federal ammo)......I did good with the Rand, and the Mosin Nagant was fun(though it's hard cause the sights are in meters......so basically, all we can go for is groups)......only able to put about 15 shots through the Nagant before the steel butt becomes uncomfortable.....also, an interesting note, we shot the Rand at 50 yards and did nearly as well as with the rifle.....

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-12-2010, 12:26 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

What's the condition of the Sistema's barrel? A lot of the time they're shot out and should be replaced.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-12-2010, 08:46 AM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
What's the condition of the Sistema's barrel? A lot of the time they're shot out and should be replaced.
The barrel is visibly used actually......is there a way I can tell the extent of the wear?
It certainly does not look as good as the Desert Eagle's barrel, which is so clean it looks like glass
Oh, not sure if it's a sistema either, its serial number 1583, Ejercito Argentino

Last edited by Tidalforce79; 12-12-2010 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Forgot something

Old 12-12-2010, 09:40 AM   #4

If the lands & grooves look uniform, not like a .410 shotgun barrel, and you don't have any pitting, should be good to go. Usually with an old weapon, if it hasn't be fired in a while, the more you shoot it the shinier the bore gets.

Sounds like you need a hammer and a 5/16" or 3/8" BRASS bolt or punch to tap the rear sight a little to the right, (looking from the rear).

I think you got a keeper! Ken

"The older I get, The better I was"

Old 12-12-2010, 09:54 AM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenhesr View Post
If the lands & grooves look uniform, not like a .410 shotgun barrel, and you don't have any pitting, should be good to go. Usually with an old weapon, if it hasn't be fired in a while, the more you shoot it the shinier the bore gets.

Sounds like you need a hammer and a 5/16" or 3/8" BRASS bolt or punch to tap the rear sight a little to the right, (looking from the rear).

I think you got a keeper! Ken
It actually looks like some of the grooves may be worn, I figure ill try the sight adjustment first(i may take it to a gunsmith just in case)....if not, Ill pick up a new barrel and keep the old one for collectors value.......the serial number on the clip matches the barrel, so I'm very pleased.....and the markings on the slide are Colt Cal 45, not 11.25mm, which also makes me happy cause I'm guessing its a US made model : )

Old 12-15-2010, 02:47 AM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Now I just need to find a barrel that will fit the thing without modification, so i can still keep it with its original parts if I want to sell it someday

Old 12-15-2010, 06:04 AM   #7

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Can you post a couple of pics of the pistol?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 12-17-2010, 12:59 AM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Can you post a couple of pics of the pistol?
Just had a smith check out the gun, he said the barrel was fine and the bushing shouldn't matter.....however, he said the sights were off, however, they were off so little that the amount they were off should not have made the shots off as much as they were. Something is wrong with the sights period. Even if they were centered they would still be off. We are in the process of trial and error now, he adjusted the sights to the right and he wants to know how it shoots. He will then compare how it shoots, then make his final adjustment based on the 2 measurements, whatever the final result is, he said the gun will shoot accurately with the sights off(seems to imply they are defective in the first place, which is probably why an 83 year old gun has not seen much use).