Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   A dilemma, both irrational and paranoid... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/dilemma-both-irrational-paranoid-81122/)

Sonic82 01-12-2013 10:11 PM

A dilemma, both irrational and paranoid...
 
I'm in the market for a small semi-auto. We just bought one (will pick up on Monday) a LC9 for my wife. I also want a small sub for myself. My wife will carry this in her purse. I don't want a weapon I have to holster on my belt. I want one kept in a small pocket sleeve style holster that I will carry in either my vest or pants pocket. The choices are...a Nano, PM9, SIG P238, 938 or 250.

The thing is (and this is where the paranoia comes in), I want a manual safety. There's only three pistols that come close to fitting the bill. A P238, P928 or a Massachusetts variation of a PM9.The SIGS are single action and I'm opposed to that for a pocket gun. That leaves the most expensive and most difficult to find of the bunch...and that's the PM9. I also could wait patiently for a XDs 9mm version, I don't want a .45 pocket gun. But it's still a little larger gun than I want. So, there you have it....my hang up for all to see :o

orangello 01-12-2013 10:16 PM

http://lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=BST9DTP13

Too big? I love mine, but it's a bit bigger than the bersa thunder 380 singlestack that i had before ( http://lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=BSTHUN380NKLT )
. Decocker for a safety.

Sonic82 01-12-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 1090974)
http://lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=BST9DTP13

Too big? I love mine, but it's a bit bigger than the bersa thunder 380 singlestack that i had before ( http://lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=BSTHUN380NKLT )
. Decocker for a safety.

Yeah...I've looked into the Bersa as well. Good gun. I would get the CC .380 version. It is in the running. In fact, I have one with my name on it till Tuesday at Cabella's. The thing is, if you look at the specs...it's the same size as the LC9...the LC9 is even slightly smaller in certain areas. That's 'on paper' comparing dimensions. It is very close too what I want and very reliable from what I've read.

KimberFan 01-12-2013 10:36 PM

I bought the same Ruger for my wife, found out she didn't have enough strength to action it though (getting up there ya know) so, I kept it and got her a open top breech .32 Beretta TomCat...a little small, but, she liked it because of the slam-shut top load and fire ability of it. I keep the LC9 as a pocket pal. I ran about 50 rds thru it and no issues.

Just a thought...I really like my Diamondback DB9 as a backup...worth a look maybe?
http://diamondbackfirearms.com/product?id=22

Tackleberry1 01-12-2013 10:41 PM

Sonic

Are you required to have a thumb safety or is that just a preference?

My EDC for the last 5 years has been a standard PM 9 in a belly band rig and I would have no concerns pocket carrying this gun "in a holster".

The PM 9 has a very long, very smooth trigger pull. Much like the older S&W DA revolvers. Were you to pocket carry one "without a holster" you would have to try to cause a discharge.

Certainly carry whatever your comfortable with but in my experience with this gun, I would not let the lack of a manual safety dissuade you...or pay extra for one.

Good luck.

Tack

Sonic82 01-12-2013 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MimberFan (Post 1090993)
I bought the same Ruger for my wife, found out she didn't have enough strength to action it though (getting up there ya know) so, I kept it and got her a open top breech .32 Beretta TomCat...a little small, but, she liked it because of the slam-shut top load and fire ability of it. I keep the LC9 as a pocket pal. I ran about 50 rds thru it and no issues.

Just a thought...I really like my Diamondback DB9 as a backup...worth a look maybe?
http://diamondbackfirearms.com/product?id=22

The Diamondback falls in the LCP a Kel-Tec catagory..... DA or Striker fired with no safety... I just gotta get over it I guess.

Sonic82 01-12-2013 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 (Post 1091000)
Sonic

Are you required to have a thumb safety or is that just a preference?

My EDC for the last 5 years has been a standard PM 9 in a belly band rig and I would have no concerns pocket carrying this gun "in a holster".

The PM 9 has a very long, very smooth trigger pull. Much like the older S&W DA revolvers. Were you to pocket carry one "without a holster" you would have to try to cause a discharge.

Certainly carry whatever your comfortable with but in my experience with this gun, I would not let the lack of a manual safety dissuade you...or pay extra for one.

Good luck.

Tack

The safety is my concern only. I really should 'move on' since a DA Revolver is no different than a Nano or standard PM9. But then again...you don't usually carry a revolver in anything but a belt style holster.

Tackleberry1 01-12-2013 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic82 (Post 1091052)
The safety is my concern only. I really should 'move on' since a DA Revolver is no different than a Nano or standard PM9. But then again...you don't usually carry a revolver in anything but a belt style holster.

Maybee this will help. Kahr's CM 9 is virtually the same gun for 2 bills less! There are some differences by for 7 to 10 yard EDC...they are irrelevant.

Tack

JTJ 01-12-2013 11:45 PM

I have a P238 and pocket carry it all the time cocked and locked in my pants or vest. I dont see a problem as long as you dont flick the safety off and keep your finger off the trigger until it is drawn and aimed. I use a DeSantis Superfly holster which fully guards the trigger. No worse than carrying cocked and locked IWB. Great little pistol. very easy to shoot. I use the 7 round mags. The more you shoot it the better the trigger gets.
Sorry to disillusion you but I also carry a j frame in a pocket holster at times.

Sonic82 01-13-2013 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ (Post 1091074)
I have a P238 and pocket carry it all the time cocked and locked in my pants or vest. I dont see a problem as long as you dont flick the safety off and keep your finger off the trigger until it is drawn and aimed. I use a DeSantis Superfly holster which fully guards the trigger. No worse than carrying cocked and locked IWB. Great little pistol. very easy to shoot. I use the 7 round mags. The more you shoot it the better the trigger gets.
Sorry to disillusion you but I also carry a j frame in a pocket holster at times.

I have a P238 and pocket carry it all the time cocked and locked in my pants or vest. I dont see a problem as long as you dont flick the safety off and keep your finger off the trigger until it is drawn and aimed


That's (so far) my top choice. Sweet little gun and the price is not all that bad. I may wind up with one...I love the size of it.


Sorry to disillusion you but I also carry a j frame in a pocket holster at times

My god man!...what are you thinking?!!


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:45 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.