Which Design is Most User-Friendly? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Which Design is Most User-Friendly?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2011, 03:13 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would recommend that he go to some gun shops to compare the various .45's out there, and if there are gun ranges with rental programs I would try some of them out. Some of the .45's I recommend are a Colt or Springfield 1911, XD(m) .45, Glock 21, and Sig Saurer P220.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 07-13-2011, 04:11 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 247 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 31

As far as spendier guns, you'd start with 1911s, then Sig P220, and then maybe have a look at H&K.

But if he wants something simpler and more affordable, there are a number of good polymer options. I like Springfield XD/XDm. But Glock, SW M&P, or FNP would also be fine duty options. In my mind these guns are equally reliable and have many similar traits. Just pick the one that offers the best fit and features for the individual shooter.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:22 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firearms4ever
I would recommend that he go to some gun shops to compare the various .45's out there, and if there are gun ranges with rental programs I would try some of them out. Some of the .45's I recommend are a Colt or Springfield 1911, XD(m) .45, Glock 21, and Sig Saurer P220.
The only thing that I hate about renting guns to try them is, I want to take them home afterwards!

But you are right that is the best way to find some thing you will like.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:19 AM   #14

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanx for the feedback, guys........we have shops that offer rentals. Good suggestion! I will give him this website & have him read all your replies, as well. jd45

Old 07-14-2011, 12:54 AM   #15

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd45 View Post
Hello to all! A friend of mine's son is applying for guard on an armored truck.
He doesn't have the job yet, so he probably does not have all the facts.

Quote:
She says they're gonna require him to use a .45 caliber weapon, (autoloader, I presume) which he doesn't have.
Again we don't have all the facts because he has not been hired and put through training yet.

I have worked in 8 states in my travels, several cities, for a few years. I also dated a gal who worked as a dispatcher for Dunbar Armored, so I have a little bit of information to offer.

Armored Truck companies usually issue a weapon to their employees, or they make a couple of different models available on a payroll deduct basis.

A six shot revolver in .38/.357 is quite common. Glock is VERY common for the obvious reasons (cost, ease of use, ease of negligence not affecting performance, etc.).

I haven't studied too many armored car companies, don't let the clever screen name fool you , but I have never seen an armored car guard with a custom sidearm like an H&K or a 1911.

I would say and wait and don't do anything until he actually gets the job, gets the 4-1-1 from the company itself and consider buying him the best bullet proof vest on the market instead.

Statistics show, hands down, that armored car guards are 3 times more likely to be shot at/have a weapon pointed at them, then to actually fire their weapon themselves.

Just food for thought.

JD

Old 07-14-2011, 06:39 AM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd45
Hello to all! A friend of mine's son is applying for guard on an armored truck. She says they're gonna require him to use a .45 caliber weapon, (autoloader, I presume) which he doesn't have. He's only had experience with his Ruger 9mm. I'm wondering which platform will best enable him to come home alive at the end of his shift, should he have to use it during the course of his duties. I know he'll have to practice & become very familiar with whatever he chooses. But I guess my question is which technology available now will give him an "edge"? Thanx for your feedback, jd45
Sig 220, their is very little to no break in period, very accurate out the box, every thing is easy to get to with just the thumb, low recoil, reliable and dependable, 8+1 capacity, and good weight. I have a p220 carry, awesome gun. I would put it again any other .45 that I have or had: Colt, Springfield Armory, Para Ordinance, Star, H&K, S&W, and definitely a Don't like Kimber and I'm not talking about basic model pistols. I like it enough that I am in the process of getting full size 220. The one I got will shoot 2.5" or smaller all day.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:29 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Thanx for the feedback, guys........we have shops that offer rentals. Good suggestion! I will give him this website & have him read all your replies, as well. jd45
Good luck, keep us posted on what he decideds to get.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:45 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Around here, many LEO's carry the Sig P220.
Alot of LEO's around here carried the P220, until they went to the Glock. They were not happy about the change. I can not blame them.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:01 AM   #19
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

I will have to chime in and give my thoughts.

I am going to go with a Smith and Wesson M&P45.

swnov3l.jpg  

Old 07-17-2011, 02:18 PM   #20

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

He's goin for the interview Monday morning. We'll see what happens......lots of good suggestions here, including the body armor, which I hadn't thought of. I'll keep you posted. Thanx again, jd45