Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Desert Eagle (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/desert-eagle-73859/)

brettr 10-07-2012 05:10 AM

Desert Eagle

Thinking about a .44....tell me what's good and what's bad about them please before I go and buy one.

Axxe55 10-07-2012 05:15 AM

the bad, heavy, expensive and and impractical.

the good, bada$$ cool factor!

would i buy one? not usually, but if the right one at the right price and time, i might. but it's not the type of pistol i would go looking to buy. back in the late 80's i came real close to buying one in 41 Mag. but decided not to. i have shot a few over the years, and they are a fun gun to shoot, but not one i would have to have.

trip286 10-07-2012 05:19 AM

I simply wouldn't bother. There are bigger and badder out there that are more reliable. The DE isn't super crappy on reliability, but remember, it was really built as a hunting/target gun, and uses a gas system which is prone to clogging. Some are more reliable than others. My uncle had one that had to be thoroughly cleaned every 50 rounds or so or it just simply wouldn't cycle.

Gloves 10-07-2012 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 967265)
There are bigger and badder out there that are more reliable.

That aren't a revolver? I must know.

Quote:

but remember, it was really built as a hunting/target gun,

I thought the Israeli army designed it and used it first.

Quote:

and uses a gas system which is prone to clogging. Some are more reliable than others. My uncle had one that had to be thoroughly cleaned every 50 rounds or so or it just simply wouldn't cycle.

Yeesh. i didn't know it was that bad.

bartwatkins 10-07-2012 12:47 PM

I had one in .357 back in the late '80s early '90s...
It was fun and kind of a novelty gun for me. As others mentioned, very heavy and impractical for anything besides having fun. But who says our guns have to be "practical". Anyway, mine was extremely reliable. Not sure about others having problems with the gas system clogging but mine was 100% reliable 100% of the time. I eventually grew weary of it and sold mine after about 2 years.

trip286 10-07-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gloves

To my knowledge, no. But does that really matter?

Quote:

I don't know about that, but I just can't wrap my head around the Israeli army inventing something that impractical. Not saying they didn't, just saying it would be odd in my mind with their track record.

Quote:

This one was. YMMV.

Axxe55 10-07-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gloves (Post 967301)

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 967488)
To my knowledge, no. But does that really matter?

I don't know about that, but I just can't wrap my head around the Israeli army inventing something that impractical. Not saying they didn't, just saying it would be odd in my mind with their track record.

This one was. YMMV.

the DE was originally designed by Magnum Research and the design was refined by Israeli Military Industries and they made them for MR until about 1995 for them which they took over production and have been produced in the US since.

lilnoug 10-10-2012 03:47 AM

I bough the de in 50 ae. Way impractical but def a cool factor at the range.

JonM 10-10-2012 04:09 AM

They are very reliable when using the proper ammo. In the case of the 44 it needsto be jacketed 240grain full power loads. Use of lead clogs the gas port. Limp wristing causes cycling issues.

They are insanely accurate handguns. The 44 has about the same felt recoil as a 9mm out out of ruger lc9

Olympus 10-10-2012 01:18 PM

My dad has one in .44 that we shot this past weekend even. He uses it as a carry option for deer and hog hunting. He has a scope mounted on it, so that makes it even heavier and feels top heavy. But shooting from a rest is nice and you don't notice it. He's never had a single problem with reliability. Like Jon said, the things are insanely accurate.

Biggest cons I have with the gun are the weight and how thick the grip is for small hands. It's not a gun you will be able to shoot offhand very much.