Desert eagle .50ae - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Desert eagle .50ae

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 03:36 PM   #11
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8661 Times on 5167 Posts
Likes Given: 11410

I do share my gun with my granddaughter. I teach her to check it to see if it's empty, I teach her to not ever point it any anyone. If someone broke into my house, I have dogs that would bark as that person even approached. I can open my safe in seconds. It's right next to my bed. I can reach it without even getting out of bed. I'm positive I can reach my gun before a Bad Guy reaches me.

I also never want to have an accident happen and be full of 'what ifs' for the rest of my life. Kids are curious. They think they can handle a situation only to find they can't. They think "Just this once it will be okay. No one will ever know I touched this gun."

You're right. My house, my rules. My gun is locked unless it's with me or else I am home alone to leave it sitting out. Nope, I am not willing to take any chance, any chance at all, with the life of a child. Particularly my grandchild.

I'd be nervous letting my daughter go to your house to play with your child. And if I had a gun out in the open, I would be afraid of the children who came to my house to play. For me, to many variables to when it comes to leaving a loaded gun sitting out.

But that's just me.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:13 PM   #12
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
I'd be nervous letting my daughter go to your house to play with your child. And if I had a gun out in the open, I would be afraid of the children who came to my house to play. For me, to many variables to when it comes to leaving a loaded gun sitting out.
1) never was it sated it was "left out in the open". The statement was "in a certain area"

2) this is where the education of MY children comes into play...should a playmate "happen" upon the loaded firearm...they ( my kids) are EXPECTED to intervene before problems arise. also, most of my kids playmates have been or will be on the range with me for my education class. (more than one child has been thru it...) one is now a member of the Old Guard in the U.S. Army...one when he was 8 gave his grandfather (a responsible gun owner and hunter) pure hell for breaking one of the rules i had taught him. That rule is NEVER assume a gun is unloaded until YOU and YOU PERSONALLY have visually checked the chamber to be sure it IS empty.

I understand curiosity and childrens "ways". But i have faith in my kids to do whats right and to understand whats wrong. I am by no means blind but i will, i MUST, have a certain amount of trust in my kids to do/know the difference between right and wrong. The lions share of my firearms are locked in the safe, not away from the kids and wife but from those that would steal from me.

Again, most tragedies arise from a childs natural curiosity. Remove that curiosity by taking them to the range and letting them shoot and educate them and most (unfortunately not all) tragedies will/can be avoided.

With all due respect ma'am...

Quote:
I can open my safe in seconds. It's right next to my bed. I can reach it without even getting out of bed. I'm positive I can reach my gun before a Bad Guy reaches me.
Who says scumbag is gonna break in during the night whilst your sleeping or in bed?? When it comes to personal protection you DO NOT choose the time, the place, the how, the why...the ONLY choice you have is HOW you protect your life, your family and property!

Quote:
be full of 'what ifs' for the rest of my life.
"What if" scumbag gets to daughter/granddaughter BEFORE you can get to your locked gun and god forbid, kills them. Would you not then be full of "what if"? Half of life is IF! Your on the one side of that if, i'm on the other.

Back to the OP...Sell the wife, keep the gun!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Last edited by fmj; 09-06-2011 at 05:16 PM.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:37 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm kinda on both sides of the fence I keep both mine and my wife's guns loaded in the house(just mags never one in the chamber). And on a shelf in the closet up high but,my three year old boy knows it will be the demise of his hind quarters if he ever goes in our closet. He has toy guns and I don't let him point them at people only animals and dinosaurs. And on his own free will he places his pistols in the holster and stashes them away from other kids. People never let kids or even other friends or adults in your bedroom ever that's where 99% of people stash the iron and should be strictly off limits to everyone but you and the misses

Old 09-06-2011, 10:13 PM   #14

Liked 1244 Times on 809 Posts
Likes Given: 792

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher79 View Post
that's where 99% of people stash the iron and should be strictly off limits to everyone but you and the misses
hmmm lovely choice of words. hahaha

Old 09-06-2011, 11:50 PM   #15

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
In excellent condition I often see them going for around $1000 or so. Cool gun, even if terribly impractical.

Sell the gun. You should get enough to pick up a more practical home defense pistol, a competent safe, and still have enough to take the wife out for dinner a time or two. Everybody wins.
I agree very much. except for the safe... the harder it is for you to get to your gun, the harder it is to get to your gun. believe it or not, contrary to what a lot of people believe, children CAN be TAUGHT. Members of this forum know this. My son is not afraid of guns, I let him shoot whenever we can, but he is terrified of what I will do with a belt if he lays a finger on one of mine without my say-so.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:55 AM   #16

Liked 864 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I agree very much. except for the safe... the harder it is for you to get to your gun, the harder it is to get to your gun. believe it or not, contrary to what a lot of people believe, children CAN be TAUGHT. Members of this forum know this. My son is not afraid of guns, I let him shoot whenever we can, but he is terrified of what I will do with a belt if he lays a finger on one of mine without my say-so.
I'm with Trip 100% here.
When each of my sons was about 2 years old I would leave an unloaded pistol, rifle, and shotgun sitting in the living room and would just stand in the kitchen and watch. And it only took once. The second they laid a finger on one of them, I was on them like white on rice. When they stopped squalling I told them to never touch them without me around. The next day I would let them hold a few of them. The next day I would lay them back out and they wouldn't touch them.
When I took them out shooting the first time I shook the hell out of a warm can of soda and shot it close range so it would nearly explode and explain that it would do the same to them or anyone else if it was used wrong.
In the end, it's only as dangerous as you let it be.

That's my rant..... anyway, I'll give you 800 for it.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:05 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtJester

I'm with Trip 100% here.
When each of my sons was about 2 years old I would leave an unloaded pistol, rifle, and shotgun sitting in the living room and would just stand in the kitchen and watch. And it only took once. The second they laid a finger on one of them, I was on them like white on rice. When they stopped squalling I told them to never touch them without me around. The next day I would let them hold a few of them. The next day I would lay them back out and they wouldn't touch them.
When I took them out shooting the first time I shook the hell out of a warm can of soda and shot it close range so it would nearly explode and explain that it would do the same to them or anyone else if it was used wrong.
In the end, it's only as dangerous as you let it be.

That's my rant..... anyway, I'll give you 800 for it.
If I throw in an iron target and a little over 100 rounds and the 3 extra clips and the bore snake, what would you offer then?

Old 09-07-2011, 02:56 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3357 Times on 1738 Posts
Likes Given: 354

You did not discuss this prior to marrying/procreating? If she is changing the rules, but your big boy pants on and tell her "No". If you did not have an agreement beforehand, you are on your own. Trade the DE for a pretty little sequined bag for her to carry your nads around in.

I agree that education is the key. My daughters were taught about guns from the time they could walk.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:32 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
kid is more likely to be killed or hurt riding in the wife's car. make her sell her car...
Agreed.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:15 AM   #20

Liked 864 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseytate2007 View Post
If I throw in an iron target and a little over 100 rounds and the 3 extra clips and the bore snake, what would you offer then?
hhhhhhmmmmmmm..... $840 with the clips only.
and where you located?