Decision time, and I'm cornfused

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Decision time, and I'm cornfused

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2009, 03:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Decision time, and I'm cornfused

I have carried and shot all my life. Built 2 AR SUR's. I carry a Browning HI-Power. Concealability in the summer is a problem. I have narrowed the field down to:
45 ACP
Double or single action
5 or 6 shot
Small is a must
reliable
Now let the suggestions fly.

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

Don't blame the tool, blame the fool.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-09-2009, 03:15 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Since you didn't specify a price range, here is my suggestion:

Small - Check
Lightweight - Check
5 or 6 rounds - Actually 7, Check
Reliable - Check, Check, Check

Ta Dah!

JD

Old 03-09-2009, 03:19 PM   #3

Default JD, I thank you

When it is my old Gray headed butt on the line. I am not going to let money be the object of my weapon choice. You agree? I really like the look of that Kimber. Cane will be here shortly screaming Colt.

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

Last edited by bobbyb13; 03-09-2009 at 03:21 PM. Reason: add

Old 03-09-2009, 03:24 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyb13 View Post
When it is my old Gray headed butt on the line. I am not going to let money be the object of my weapon choice. You agree? I really like the look of that Kimber. Cane will be here shortly screaming Colt.
100% my friend. I am not looking for bargain basic protection. If I can find a good price, that is another story.

I have actually shot that CDP, and with the aluminum frame, it is very light. It does have a hell of a recoil, but it will handle +P ammo, since I believe it already has the 22# recoil spring. I don't like the ambi safety, but other than that, it's a great summer time carry weapon and one that will treat you right.

JD

Old 03-09-2009, 03:45 PM   #5

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

In Venezuela the most popular brand is Taurus, so that is the firearm that I usually shot more often, once I shoot a Taurus Millenium 9mm in Titanium finish and was awesome... they come in .45acp too.... 10+1 capacity (there's a slim version with 6+1)... There is a compact version of the 24/7, with 3" barel but 12+1 capacity!...
Taurus PT24/7-45BPC
Taurus Millenium Slim PT745SSP
Taurus Millenium PT145SSP

I read some reviews on Kahr Arms .45 and they say that deserve a try too...

“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 03-09-2009, 04:45 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
100% my friend. I am not looking for bargain basic protection. If I can find a good price, that is another story.

I have actually shot that CDP, and with the aluminum frame, it is very light. It does have a hell of a recoil, but it will handle +P ammo, since I believe it already has the 22# recoil spring. I don't like the ambi safety, but other than that, it's a great summer time carry weapon and one that will treat you right.

JD
Here is the solution to the overpriced, over equipped, too light CDP:

Exact same pistol, only this one has a forged steel frame, and a single, right handed safety. It also comes in at half the price of a CDP.

Really the only thing that it doesn't have that the CDP does have is the carry melt and night sights.

I've fired a couple CDPs and my humble little Compact is a more pleasant gun to shoot. Between the bulk of the forged steel frame and the Hogue Combats, recoil and muzzle flip are tamed greatly.

I don't know if the new Stainless Compacts have forged frames or not, but if you can find a steel framed piece, I'd recommend it.

I also like the added bulk of the steel frame, because sometimes, you've just got to pistol whip a emm effer.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:53 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

A smaller option would be a Para Hawg. I'm not sure that I'd go that small though. It seems to me that the really short frame wouldn't allow enough leverage for you to keep it from stove piping.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:11 PM   #8

Default Got it and thanks.

I bought a pro carry II stainless. See the club house for the rest of my stupidity.

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

Old 03-10-2009, 10:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyb13 View Post
I have carried and shot all my life. Built 2 AR SUR's. I carry a Browning HI-Power. Concealability in the summer is a problem. I have narrowed the field down to:
45 ACP
Double or single action
5 or 6 shot
Small is a must
reliable
Now let the suggestions fly.
I'm the new guy here, but I'm not new to guns, or concealed carry and the most important factor in concealment is not the size of the gun, but the type of holster. A Mitch Rosen ARG makes a Hi Power disappear...

As for the 45 question, the 3" & 3.5" 1911's are known to be difficult at best to make them reliable and carry for defense is not the time to be unsure about it's ability to serve your needs.

My choice would be a Glock 26 in 9mm and use front pocket carry. Small, light, works everytime and holds 11 rounds of +P+ 9mm...Equal to any task.

And by the way, I'm not a plastic gun fan at all and I don't drink kool-aid. In fact, my carry gun is either a Beretta or Stoeger Cougar 8000F in 9mm. Carry it year round.